Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am feeling depressed....I have only lost 14 lbs since surgery on 6/26/09. I haven't lost anything in almost a week. I am feeling discouraged. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others weight loss but I feel I should be consistantly losing....anyone else feel the smae as me?

No, don't be discouraged! We were banded the same day and I've lost 10 since surgery--plus a 17 before surgery. You're doing fine--breathe. The first month is about healing, letting your body adjust, learning to eat with the band, etc--not about loosing weight. That time comes once you start getting fills. I've even heard of surgeons that don't care if their patients don't lose after surgery (and before the first fill) just as long as they don't gain.

C'mon now, hold your head up! You deserve to feel good about yourself and the progress you've made thus far. We're all here for you and the most important thing right now is healing.

No, don't be discouraged! We were banded the same day and I've lost 10 since surgery--plus a 17 before surgery. You're doing fine--breathe. The first month is about healing, letting your body adjust, learning to eat with the band, etc--not about loosing weight. That time comes once you start getting fills. I've even heard of surgeons that don't care if their patients don't lose after surgery (and before the first fill) just as long as they don't gain.

C'mon now, hold your head up! You deserve to feel good about yourself and the progress you've made thus far. We're all here for you and the most important thing right now is healing.

Thanks for your encouraging words! That is exactly what I needed to hear. I am sitting in my living room on this chat and reading stories hoping to find some comfort in how I'm feeling....you gave that to me and I REALLY appreciate you....we need to keep in contact....your right, I need to just heal and be grateful for any loss at this point....you are a true friend...thanks again!!

Don't mention it! Seriously, what is this forum for? We all have those times where we're down, or doubt ourselves, or have questions, but usually there's someone out there that can offer some words of wisdom.

I stalled when I started eating mushies and solids but stuck to the program and now have started to lose again. I think our bodies just need to adjust and we need more patience (ya a hard concept for me too) but hang in there stick to your program and you will start to lose again. Let us know how you are doing and congrats on the weight loss!

I agree with the others keep your chin up. I just had my two week check up today and have lost 12 pounds. I am happy with that. I think our bodies have gone thru alot of stress with the surgery and then weight loss on top of that it is a kind of stress( good) but I think the body has to keep re-adjusting itself. Keep the faith!

weight.png

I was banded on 6/18 and have lost 14 pounds.... I was feeling the exact same way. When are the pounds gonna fall off??? I haven't lost anything but I go for my fill next week. I am a little nervous because I keep hearing people say they have no restriction

there is no reason to be depressed. 14 pounds in 2 and a half weeks is a lot. and your body is prolly adjusting so your gonna plateau. it happens. i am 2 months out and have plateaued like 4 times. and each time i get so mad but i end up dropping the weight soon after. so hang in there , ur right in the beginning or the process its gonna get much easier and you will consistantly drop weight, if you stop loosing for a week trust me it will come off. keep it up!

I know of stalled but I realize like you said the body is trying to getting used to everything.It's nice to finally can have mushies.2 more weeks and I can have regular food which I am looking forward to. Are any of you excercising? I. Would think that would help the stalling of losing weight too? Keep the faith ladies!

You won't believe how great mushy/soft food tastes! I was so happy to move forward and add some variety to my diet. Just remember, 1-2lbs per week is normal. So, when you start losing weight again, remember that you won't be loosing that quickly (especially if your BMI was lower to begin with). However, that's how the band works and I think it's easy to want to loose weight quickly (I'm guilty of it too!), but as many have said, we didn't gain the weight over night and we won't loose it that way either.

Besides walking, I'm not really exercising yet--but ask me on Monday, and I will say yes. I was waiting for my incisions to fully close so I could start Water aerobics. Then, once I move back to my university, I'll get a membership at a gym (it's just not economical to get a membership for a month while I'm living with my parents). If you do start to exercise, just remember to take it easy and not to do any heavy lifting (usually the recommendation is to wait 4-6 weeks). However, jogging or using an elliptical would be fine, I suppose. You're probably right that contributing to a slower weight loss because our bodies learn to run more efficiently on lower calories, thus, we stop losing weight.

It looks like you're beginning to feel a little better, keep the moral up! All of this is normal, just give it time.

I was glad to read all of your posts. I was banded 7/1/09 and am down a total of 18 pounds (with 16 being on the pre-op diet). I read all about bandster hell and how this period is about getting used to things and not all about weight los, but wow...I've made so many changes that I'm just surprised I'm not further down the road. So bring on the mushies and I'll keep on keeping on till the first fill!

It is so good to read such supporting comments. I lost 12 lbs pre-op and only 6 lbs post-op and my 2 weeks is today. I am too feeling discouraged.

I was able to start soft foods today and I was thrilled!

Hey ladies, welcome to the thread! BChambers, I know what you mean about thinking you'd be farther along based on the changes you've made. I think most of us have changed our lives so much that we don't always understand why things aren't working the way we think they should. I've certainly cut out a TON of calories and stopped drinking anything but Water and milk, and something I think that should be enough to make me lose quite a bit of weight. However that's not how our bodies work :scared2: (it would be nice though!) It's all about the body going into shock--and then compensating for the lack of calories. With all of that said, you're attitude is great, and there's something to be said for that! Mind over matter is definitely a good thing! Just hang on and you'll be losing before you know it.

SkyPrincess: I'm glad you take comfort in reading the previous posts--it is nice. That's one thing I love about the forum, without even knowing someone, strangers reach out to help (pay it forward, if you will) and that is invaluable. 6 pounds in two weeks post-op is great! 3 pounds a week is more than the average and you're right where you need to be. :wink2: Don't be discouraged, we're all told what to expect from the band and the pace at which we'll lose weight; remeber, we didn't choose a surgery where weight loss is all that rapid--so try not to look at it as one that should. If we could, I think we'd all choose to loose the weight over night, but in doing that, we wouldn't be forced to change our habits and adopt a new lifestyle--and in the end, we'd probably end up right back where we started. So, just take things one day at a time and know you're right where you need to be. I'm sure it was really nice starting soft foods--I remember how great it was! Who knew cottage cheese and baked fish could be so exciting? haha Hopefully adding some variety will boost your moral. Keep up the good work!

I am feeling depressed....I have only lost 14 lbs since surgery on 6/26/09. I haven't lost anything in almost a week. I am feeling discouraged. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others weight loss but I feel I should be consistantly losing....anyone else feel the smae as me?

Right there with you. I was banded 6/29 and have lost about the same amount of weight. other people are telling me they can see it; I can't. I don't know what I was expecting, but I do feel like it's not going fast enough.

Of course, that could just be excitement as well. I waited a long time for the band and now that I have it, I'm impatient!!

Ok, at least I am not alone in wanting the pounds to melt away faster. I was banded 6-29-09 and have lost 13 lbs since then. It was 16 but since I have added pureed food 3 lbs have come back. Whatever! This bummed me out so much I almost wanna go back on liquids. (almost..lol.) My post-op appt. is the 23rd and I hope the Dr. will be pleased with my weight loss. I am so not ready for a fill. Surely he won't do one at 3 wks. post-op will he? If I have a choice, I want to wait a bit longer. Everyone can notice the weight I have lost so far, but I feel like everyone is watching me and waiting to see this HUGE difference right away. (myself included). I love this support group. Keeps me sane when no one around me can really understand what I am going through. Can't wait til Monday when I can start on soft food. What do you guys eat on soft food? Maybe I should've started a thread because I have like more than one question on here. Sorry for the rambling.:scared2: