Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Was banded on 07/07 and starting to feel really good. I never had any real problems to begin with just a lot of gas inside my stomach, which was miserable the evening after I got out of the hospital. I can't burp normally now, but at least I now know how to get the gas out. My question is were any of you able to eat popcorn ever again? I absolutely love popcorn and each time my husband makes some I just want to dig in! lol Oddly, this has been the one food in which I wanted to cheat with on my preop diet!! HOw about pickles? Were you able to tolerate pickles?

Thank you so much!!

I don't like pickles so can't help you there but can't imagine why you couldn't. And I can eat popcorn fine. BUT don't cheat on your diet; let yourself heal. It's really important!

Pickles are not a problem for me. popcorn is. Twice I have had to have unfills after having popcorn. The first time I thought it was a fluke. Since the second time I figure that Popcorn is totally off limits for me. Everyone is different though. Good luck to you!

I'm really REALLY lucky. I guess it's luck. My doc is conservative with fills, but says his goal is for his patients to be able to eat ANYTHING and he feels (have no idea if this is just him, or backed up with scientific data) that slow fills allow a person and the body time to adjust. And I have 7 ccs in my 14 cc band. 2-3 ounces of the right Protein keep me full for HOURS, or a little more of things that are softer like baked fish etc.

And there is honestly not one single thing that I have found that I can't eat if I want it. I think it is just wonderful. I choose the healthiest stuff, or the stuff that will keep me fullest the longest, most of the time, but it's nice to know I can have popcorn, or white bread, or a fiberous veggie (had some fried okra the other day) without issues. I LOVE it! :)

I followed his post op diet to the letter, too. (I mean I'm the fool who cheated preop and didn't get the band; I may be stubborn but I learned to follow his "guidelines" LOL) Maybe that helped; I have no issues, feel great, and can eat little bits of anything. yay!

I'm fine with pickles. I haven't tried popcorn yet. I just had my first fill, so may wait awhile.

I don't like pickles so can't help you there but can't imagine why you couldn't. And I can eat popcorn fine. BUT don't cheat on your diet; let yourself heal. It's really important!

Thank you, Monkey for the reply! Cheating? Heck No! I didn't go through all of this to mess anything up. :blink: I have been doing pretty good about not getting too hungry; although, I am only 5 days postop, though. I expect my appetite to return a little more each day, as it has, until I am ravaging. Hopefully not until my 14 days are up though. My postop appointment is on the 22nd, and they told me if my appointment is past the 14-day mark to just start the next phase anyway and not wait until I see the doc. So, my 14 days will be up on the 21st just a day before my appointment.

So far, I have lost 7 pounds since Tuesday :huh2:) BUt, I was just curious about the popcorn, because I do like to have a little during a movie. and I absolutely LOVE dill pickles. Best Maid is my fav~~!! :)

Anyway, thank you again for your advice :()

Paulette

I know you won't cheat! :) I mostly added that for others who might read it!

Hang in there; you're doing so great!

I will say, I didn't have any popcorn until I was like 6 months post op...I wanted LOTS of time to heal first! :blink:

I know you won't cheat! :blink: I mostly added that for others who might read it!

Hang in there; you're doing so great!

I will say, I didn't have any popcorn until I was like 6 months post op...I wanted LOTS of time to heal first! :huh2:

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe a couple of months down the road I might try some popcorn. You're the bestest, Monkey!! :))

Right back atcha!

I eat pickles all the time, because they are low carb and I love them and had no problem whatsoever with them so far. I am only 6 wks post-op and have thought about popcorn (I smell it too, when my family has it), but am a little scared to try it, and that was before I read that one person had to have an unfill after popcorn.

It's amazing how different we all are!

popcorn? I can eat that without a problem.

Pickles? Sometimes. I'm sure it's a matter of chewing well enough. I'm pretty sure it's the skin that's doing me in, though.

xoxo

I was able to eat popcorn before I had my fill. I have not tried since I got my first fill last week. My doc doesn't advise it because the kernals could get stuck he said. I will listen to him. I already had to do a port revision, and I do not want another surgery.

I haven't tried either, but I thought I'm chime in on the pickles. My surgeon won't allow is to have pickles until day 23 post op and even then, the pickles are supposed to be peeled. Just something to consider when you get to the point of trying them out. :thumbdown:

Best of luck!

I don't have any problem with popcorn, but I either chew or don't swallow the hard kernel part that sometimes is still on certain pieces.

I haven't really had any pickles, but I'm sure they are fine. I eat green pepper now and then, and it's totally fine as long as I chew it well.

Catherine