Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready to grow scales!

The only solid food that works so far without pain is fish and I have been eating it for 2 1/2 weeks daily. I think I'm starting to grow scales. I was banded on 9-29-2005 and although this is my 3rd week, should'nt I be able to eat more solid foods? The soft foods are fine, but earlier I tried to eat chicken salad and almost passed out from the pain. What's up? More oatmeal and cream of wheat? The sugarfree Jello pudding is great, but how much longer until I can eat "real food? "

Thanks Rose from Texas

Have you tried dark meat chicken like chicken leg or chicken thigh, also try it with some kind of sauce to dip in lie ranch dressing, or another thingthatworkedgreatfor mewhen I first started solids was chicken leg with canned green Beans, it seemdwhen I took a bite of chicken with a bite of the green bean at the same time it went down easier. Or I also cooked groindbeef and poured spaghetti sauce over it and ate it with parmessan cheese sprinkled on top, it worked wel ltoo, sometimes you just need some lubrication with it to make it go down easier which is why some kind of sauce works good.

Compared to my transition from liquids to solids, you're doing great. Mine was like this:-

2 weeks full liquids

1 week soft mushie foods (watery oatmeal, runny mashed potatoes, etc)

1 week with a lil more substance, like tuna, squished up canned spaghetti, etc

1 week lasagna, tuna mornay, caserole type dishes

1 week crackers, soft (poached) chicken with gravy, grilled salmon with sauce, etc

Then I was able to have full solids. Each doctor is different though. Keep your chin up - it'll happen. Just takes time for your body to adjust and heal.

I agree -- try Soups and casserole type dishes that are soft.

I found that a couple ounces of baked chicken breast, cut into very tiny pieces and then simmered in gravy worked well too. Super soft and moist.

My husband made a nice, squishy meatloaf the other night (used 2/3 ground turkey, 1/3 ground beef). I put a slice in a bowl with a little Water and nuked it and mushed it up -- looked an awful lot like canned cat food, but it was delish.

I'm just a couple days behind you... we can get through this!

I ate a lot of the packaged flavored tuna's early on, those are a good source of Protein, I do well with dark meat chicken only, sauces do help... I eat pintos and cheese from taco bell, things like that.

the time of day detemines how well I can eat. I have to be up for a few hours before I can eat much at all, then I can eat a little at a time through the afternoon, and then late in the evening, I tighten back up. Other bandsters can eat Breakfast, or can eat late.

Having my monthly visit from aunt flo means increased restriction, having a cold or other illness... same thing.

Try paying attention to when you eat, and how it goes, you may find that you have your own window of eating opportunity.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches