Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Exercises?

My surgeon gave me the go ahead a couple of weeks ago to exercise...but he said he is not a fan of "isometric" exercises (in response to me asking about doing abdominal work). He mainly encouraged me to do aerobic/cardio. However, I cannot imagine not doing weight training as well as cardio. I have so much flab on my stomach...I want to know how to tighten it up! Anyone else out there been told not to do ab work by their doctors? And if so...what are you doing instead?

Thanks for any input!

I need to know the answer too. I do 45 minutes of cardio 5 times a week and weights 3-4 times a week. My stomach is still there and does not appear to be going anywhere. Although, somethings happening I want it to go away NOW.... HELP

No amount of situps will really get rid of your stomach flab. You need to burn it off with cardio, good eating and weight training.

Did he mean he's not a fan of weight training - I find that hard to believe, and I'd seriously doubt his knowledge if he discouraged it! Or did he just mean sit ups and crunches? Because those arent really effective.

There's 2 things with most women who have problem stomach - flab (fixed by cardio and eating) and muscle separation from pregnancy (and that can NOT be fixed without surgery, in fact sit ups can make it worse).

Most women, even if they do have slight muscle separation have better tummies under there than they imagine they do but you must get rid of the fat to do it.

Also, things like spinning and running use your core and will strengthen and flatten your stomach considerably. Unless you're really trying to sculpt specific muscles, you're wasting your time doing "stomach exercises".

Thanks for the info. That definitely makes sense...you aren't really going to see any stomach muscles with pounds of fat covering them! It's hard to get out of that old school thinking that sit ups and stuff are the key to a flatter stomach. Thanks for reminding me that it's having less fat on your stomach that makes the difference! Now I'll feel better doing my cardio knowing it's burning off that tummy!

And I do think my surgeon was mostly referring to isometric stomach exercises...the more I think about it that's what we were discussing when he said he wasn't a fan of isometric exercise...I don't think her was referring to weight training in general.

Other than walking I dont do any excersize. I see when I loose ten lbs I will see a tad difference on my stomach. I guess it will come off eventually.

I 100% agree with Jacqui. For me, running was the first and only time in my life that I saw results in my stomach. I never knew that running would flatten my stomach.

I completed the Couch to 5K program (you'll see a thread on it here) and my stomach was drastically smaller, not to mention my hips and thighs.

I've fallen in love with running now after years and years other workout vidoes, classes and other exercises, running was the first one to make such drastic results in my body.