Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Little Progress - Encouragement/Advice Needed

Hi, my name is Lisa, and I was banded on February 27th. I've only lost 15 pounds total, including the one week pre-op diet. I'm starting to get really discouraged about this whole thing, especially when I see the amount of weight others have lost in a similar amount of time. I started at 267, and am now at 252.

I've had my first fill of 1.2 ml in early April, at which point, I had lost 12 pounds, mostly from the pre-op, and then the post-op restrictions. The first fill didn't really seem to have any effect, and my eating was pretty unrestricted. I had my second fill to 1.6ml in May. Again, I didn't really feel restricted, and my weight loss remained at 12 pounds.

At the beginning of June, I got my third fill, and went from 1.6ml to 2.6ml. After three days, I couldn't even keep Water down, so I was unfilled to 2.1ml. Last week, I went back up to 2.4 ml.

Now I definitely feel restricted, but I'm also throwing up a LOT. I almost always throw up the first couple of bites of food, no matter how much I chew them. A lot of air comes up when I throw up, and after that, I'm able to eat, but I still have that pain in the esophagus that feels like a massive stuck burp. It's gotten so that I really don't enjoy eating because it hurts, even when I can keep it down.

I could use encouragement and advice on the following issues:

1. Lack of significant weight loss.

2. Throwing up the first couple of bites of food.

3. Sticking this fill level out until it eases up enough not to hurt, rather than caving to the pain and getting unfilled again.

4. ANY advice on getting rid of the air in my stomach before I start eating. I've tried drinking right before I eat, and it doesn't really help.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Lisa,

I'm really sorry that you're having to go through so much. I'm not sure I can offer any advice, and sometimes hearing "just hang in there" isn't what we want to hear.

Are you eating slowly? Exercising? With regard to the first question, I used to eat pretty quickly which caused me to have hiccups, and someone suggested that it was because I had too much air in my stomach. I don't know if that's true, but since I got my band, well, even before, I tried to eat more slowly and haven't had any problems. Do you drink with your meals? If so, would you consider drinking 30 to 45 minutes before or after? Maybe that would help.

I can't offer any suggestions as far as throwing up, because I haven't had that problem, but perhaps you've found an answer. If not, maybe someone will be able to share experiences with you.

Good luck, and I really hope things get better.

Debbie

Edited by serenity55

Hi Lisa,

I'm new here and I had my lapband placed on Feb 17, 2009, and I'm sorry you are feeling so frustrated.

If you don't mind me sharing- I just had an "unfill" because I was throwing up more often than not.. and starting to develop reflux type issues. I now believe that I was too tight with a previous adjustment... and let myself hurt for *8* long weeks instead of contacting my dr and dealing with my issue. I was feeling like " wow- I am losing weight.. why fix it?" Big mistake. I was beginning to feel really badly and finally got scared that I could really cause issues with the band that could not be corrected or physical complications. My dr simply removed the smallest fraction and I instantly felt better! Before nothing was going down except liquids.. I was afraid to eat anything solid as a result. I can now surmize that I continued to iritate my esophogus anytime I attempted to eat solids after throwing up.. further aggravating things.. a vicious cycle.

Suggestions:

1) Call your dr and tell him your concerns.. especially your vomiting issue

2) After having a true vomitting issue, DO NOT TRY TO EAT SOLIDS!! Go back to liquids/ mushy foods to give yourself an oportunity to heal. Make sure you are getting all your necessary Protein to aid in healing... Protein shakes if you are irritated (as the solids are making you vomit). I know I started sipping hot Decaf french vanilla tea and it really soothed my throat/esophogus (never with meals... before or after).

In terms of weightloss, I HAD HAD HAD to get my butt in gear and get on the treadmill in order to see the scale budge. I waited until I was almost 2 months out before I started my exercise.. and was sorry i waited. As soon as I became active ( 6 days/wk 30 minute walks) I saw that scale drop in my favor. My problem is though, I haven't been on in 2 1/2 weeks and while I'm not gaining.. I am not happy with myself for stopping. I need a kick in the pants.

I *hope* your first move will be to call your dr. You don't have to continue to be in pain every time you eat like I did.

Keep us posted.

Karen

I agree with Karen. Give yourself time to recover with liquids only for the next meal if you vomit. Luckily, I have never vomited but I sure have gotten stuck where I can't even swallow saliva for 30 minutes. Its real bad if it happens in a restaurant or in the care. I have to make sure a bathroom is nearby or have something to spit in.

The exercise too, is a must. I hate it. I start and stop. I have heel and knee issues so theres always an excuse I can come up with. I try swimming a bit now but I need a kick in the pants too. I have not lost a bunch either. I have a lot of air in my stomach and I belch a lot. I use gas x tablets before I eat or I will get severe shoulder pain. It has helped.

Like others have said, first share your vomiting issues with your doctor. I would also talk to him about your lack of weight loss in general and see what his thoughts are on it.

What are you eating? Are you making the right choices? Exercising? You need to make sure that you are doing the right things on your end as well, otherwise the band won't work.

It can be discouraging to look at other people stats, but try not to compare yourself. Everyone is different in this journey. Try to focus on yourself and hang in there.