Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to wear? or not to wear?

Im doing my first 5k on July 18th.

I was wondering what I should wear? Im thinking running capris because now, when I wear shorts to exercise they ride up! I already bought a shirt to wear from oldnavy, and it is breathable and it is fanatastic!

Any suggestions?

Also, what is a good sports bra?

Im kinda nervous!! Im going to wait until a week before the race because im sure I will lose some weight in the next 3 weeks!

I just needs some pointers on what to wear and what not! :thumbup:

oh yea, im doing the race in Michigan so im hoping it is not as hot as it is here in Florida :thumbup:

I started out embarrassed to wear form fitting gear, I ran in track pants and similar.

But honestly, when you do a race, you see ALL shapes and sizes, some seriously huge people get out there and do it and nobody looks twice at anyone else. So, I found that eventually I got the courage to go for comfort and for me that means proper running tights.

Any psuedo exercise wear - like active gear you buy from places like Target, track pants and capris and such just fall down, they flap about and move but a good pair of runniing tights are supportive and breathable and very comfortable. I will wear any old Tshirt if I have to but I do like tops with shelf bras in them, and i swear by the Berlei sports bra, but everyone is different there, because we all have different sizes and shapes and need for support.

I always wear a light top to a race, I've got a few technical fabric long sleeve tops, which are expensive, but they're so light to take off and tie round your waist. I never run in sweat tops or anythign heavy like that. For the really really cold weather I have a couple of thermal fleeces. Again, light and formfitting.

In winter, I always wear gloves too - my hands get freezing!

Edited by Jachut

tiffany - on the only 2 (and only 2 i'll ever do races) i wore bike shorts under my nike running ones.

for bra - i only wear enell....just bought 2 more online today.

all the best on your 5k!!

thanks for the responses! I always have trouble wearing looser fitting running shorts or pants because the shorts ride up and then they also fall down when I run too!

I found these Clearance - aerie f.i.t. bermuda tight - American Eagle Outfitters

I think I may order them. Im smaller on the bottom and bigger on the top so I think I want to order a large.

I love my nike capri running tights, very comfortable. They are a great fabric and very breathable. They stay put and don't slip down. Personally, I would go with a running tight, not something from one of the apparel stores.

I usually wear a short sleeve or sleeveless running top. I have several sports bras, but don't have a fav brand, I try them on and see what is supportive - it does make a difference in comfort while running.

Good luck with your upcoming race!

My wife bought a few pair of the running capris, and they work and look nice.