Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else not been able to urinate after surgery?

Hi, I am new to this form and just got banded on June 17. My question is has anyone else had trouble urinating after surgery?

After I had my surgery they said that after I get fully awake I could go home after I urinate. So I tried and tried and could not. They catch me and said they were going to keep me over night. They said that it sometimes happen more so men have this problem than woman.The next morning at 7 am they took the catch out. They said I had 6 hours to urinate and if I could I could go home. Well I couldn't so they gave me 2 more hours. I tried everything walking drinking Water everything they said to do.

So in the end they put a Foley catch in attached to my leg and said I could go home. I have to see the urologist in one week they will take it out. They said that my bladder has to rest and after they take it out I will be fine.

I just wondered if anyone had the same problem and if they did were they able to urinate on there own after everything was done. Other than that I am doing just great everything else is fine.

Hope everyone else is doing great!!!!

Becky

Hi Rebahorn!

Congrats on your surgery! I was just banded yesterday. Sounds like we're at the same point in our respective journeys.

Anyways, an effect of anesthesia is sometimes inability to urinate. This also happened to me - a couple hours after the surgery I felt like I had to urinate. I sat on a bedpan for an hour and a half before anything actually happened. Its pretty normal so don't worry!

Good luck with your recovery!

What happened to you isn't necessarily COMMON but it does happen. Odds of it being something permanent are really really really slim...partly because the surgery shouldn't have impacted your bladder at all (you weren't operated on in that area) Some bladders do get "upset" at anesthesia and become a bit shy. I'm sure the cath is not comfy but it will give your bladder a chance to get over the "insult" and move on!

They took my catheter out the day after surgery and I was not able to urinate on my own. They had to straight cath me and kept me an extra day and if I wasn't able to go on my own they were going to put the catheter back in. But thankfully, the next day, I could go on my own. I was 57 then and nothing on your body works as well as it used to. LOL. But it's not uncommon because of the anesthesia and pain meds. Hope it workds out for you. Good luck.

Hi, I am new to this form and just got banded on June 17. My question is has anyone else had trouble urinating after surgery?

After I had my surgery they said that after I get fully awake I could go home after I urinate. So I tried and tried and could not. They catch me and said they were going to keep me over night. They said that it sometimes happen more so men have this problem than woman.The next morning at 7 am they took the catch out. They said I had 6 hours to urinate and if I could I could go home. Well I couldn't so they gave me 2 more hours. I tried everything walking drinking Water everything they said to do.

So in the end they put a Foley catch in attached to my leg and said I could go home. I have to see the urologist in one week they will take it out. They said that my bladder has to rest and after they take it out I will be fine.

I just wondered if anyone had the same problem and if they did were they able to urinate on there own after everything was done. Other than that I am doing just great everything else is fine.

Hope everyone else is doing great!!!!

Becky

I was scared to death that doc mess up something because I could not urinate for about 7 hrs after surgery I"ve had several operations even back surgery in Dec 08 and have never not been able to go, the nurse said that pain meds can do this to you. They gave me 15mg of loratab and I have never taken that much at one time. The next day I took about a half of dose of loratab and then went to tylenol and everything started working alright.

They also said I would have to stay if I didn't go so I strained and strained and finally went around 6pm.

You'll be fine but it is scary.

I had surgery on June 17th and while I do urinate, its just a little bit at a time. I feel like I am being potty trained! I dont know if its just mental for me though because I am afraid to use too much pressure.

I had surgery on June 17th and while I do urinate, its just a little bit at a time. I feel like I am being potty trained! I dont know if its just mental for me though because I am afraid to use too much pressure.

You shouldn't have to use pressure to urinate, actually, although sometimes we do to "hurry" it. You should in fact RELAX...if you relax your muscles it happens. If the "little bit" is abnormal for you and you are well hydrated (getting 64 oz Water daily etc) then mention this to your surgeon at your 1 week check up. Normal urination won't discommode or upset or impact or bother your band at all.

You shouldn't have to use pressure to urinate, actually, although sometimes we do to "hurry" it. You should in fact RELAX...if you relax your muscles it happens. If the "little bit" is abnormal for you and you are well hydrated (getting 64 oz Water daily etc) then mention this to your surgeon at your 1 week check up. Normal urination won't discommode or upset or impact or bother your band at all.

Yeah, when I relax it just sort of comes out slowly on its own. I guess maybe up until now I was always rushing it!

It could be, too, that you are a little more tuned in to the urge right now (not working or busy etc...but recovering/recuperating) and so you go more frequently and so have less to go, too. :tongue:

I just had surgery on the 11th and am not a fan of public bathrooms and the extra pressure to produce.

I found that I let gravity help. If I wasn't able to urinate after trying for a bit I stood up and sat down again. I don't know why that worked for me but it did. I think I came upon it by accident because I would get up out of frustration to leave but felt the urge and kept trying. Of course this was while attached to my pain pump! Anyway I'm sure it's pretty common and being in a more relaxed situation (home) I'm sure it would get better unless of course there was some problem. Good luck, Nancy.

Thank you everyone for your response. I'm sorry that I haven't been on to check. But I have been sick I have been running a fever and my Dr. said if it gets to 101 than I have to go to the hospital. Well it did get to 100.4 so was a little worried it broke last night. But now today I have bad cramps and have diaria. So I guess I'm trading one thing for another.

Still have the cath and will get it removed on Tuesday... Yeah!!!!!!

So thank you so much for your encouragement. I hope everyone is doing better than I am.

Becky

I have posted this before, I can't recall exactly how long it was, I think it was around 14 hours for me to finally go pee..Yes I said 14 hours..I have had surgery since then to have my right ovary removed(Nothing left but my left one now) and I had to self cath for 2 days. Doctor said it happens if they are working around the belly button for some reason..I have had bladder and have a bashful bladder..There is nothing worse than not being able to pee. It can become "VERY" painful..

I just had a lower body lift, and could not pee and they sent me home. They removed my caheter at 7 am and sent me home. By 7:00 pm I still couldn't pee, and was literally in excruciating pain. I had to go to the ER so they could cath me and drain it. They sent me home with a leg drain, and i'm supposed to follow up in a few days. It was probably one of the most painful experiences of my life. The sutures all the way around my body from the body lift were no camparison to not being able to pee for over 12 hours. I was crying hysterically. Now.. I'm scared to death to have it taken out for fear of that happening again.

I had trouble after my Tummy Tuck, i had a catheter from the surgery and 12 hours later there was barely anytjing in it, but i felt no pressure. Took 24 hours for the catheter bg to start filling, they took out the catheter on day three ( a tummy tuck is four nights in hospital here if youre a private patient) and i ad a lot of troubke peeing. But tjis is something i ave to investigate as i m getting orse. I think i have radiation damage to my bladder after cancer treatment, i pee like an old man now.

My husband took the catheter out this morning. I was able to pee a small amount about 10 min later. I have been able to go on my own Thank God. I'm not producing alot, but at least I'm going. My bladder is still not completely emptying, as I feel like I have to go, and try and a small amount comes out. I guess that will get better. At least I'm going again. I had a rough time with this surgery. I can't imagine someone going home the same day. Ughhh, I ended up having a temp of 101, and was so sick. I was in 4 days, and was only supposed to be in 2. Pay the extra money to stay in the hospital. It's worth it. You need the care.