Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet, how do you do it?

Frankly, I was surprised at the carrots, too. Being a diabetic, I'm aware of the carb content of veggies, and carrots' carb factor is fairly high. Even higher than peas. At least as high as raw sweet potato, and they won't let me have that.

So I'm going to pass on the carrots and stick to asparagus and squash.

For me raw carrots are ok, but cooked are a no-go. Peas are also a no go :). I hate peas. Last time I checked, potatoes weren't veggies so they're out too.

What's the word on tomatoes? I'm not allowed to have any fruit on my pre-op diet because of the sugar. Tomatoes are fairly high in sugar and are, technically, a fruit.

What's the word on tomatoes? I'm not allowed to have any fruit on my pre-op diet because of the sugar. Tomatoes are fairly high in sugar and are, technically, a fruit.

I wasn't allowed fruit on my pre=op diet, but it did say I could have Tomato juice & tomato Soup, so I gues tomatoes are ok.

I going in on the 13th! My diet consisted of 4 oz of Protein Shake for Breakfast lunch, dinner, and snack. Then I can have 16 oz through out the day of juice or milk. And of course a butt load of water! I thought I would die! But I'm on day 7 and I'm ok. Not great! But I found that when we sit down to dinner I just go watch TV so I don't have to sit there and watch them savor everything!!!! I can do this and so can u!!!!!!!!

My pre-op diet is 2 liquid Protein shakes and a Lean Cuisine. I can also have s/f Jello and popcicles.

I look at the shakes as 'medicine', right now all foods turn me off, but I'm getting a bit tired of being spacey [spacier?].

I told my hub and son I was taking a month off from the kitchen :). I'll get back to them after the post-op 2 weeks of liquids!

I'm in awe of those of you on full liquid pre-op diets! Your amazing.

I admire you guys who do an all-liquid pre-op diet! My pre-op diet was two Protein shakes a day (breakfast and late afternoon snack) and two lean meals that consisted of 3 oz of lean Protein and raw or steamed veggies. I lost plenty of weight and I never felt deprived.

Post-op liquid is a different animal. For about the first 7 days I didn't care that it was all liquid. Nothing appealed to me. And on Day 10 I was advanced to mushy food.

I realize now, by comparison, that I had it pretty easy. Hats off to you guys!

I think I would have liked the modified liquid diets that I've seen here, however, my preop was all liquids for 14 days. I did cheat once big time before the mandatory 7 day all liquid diet benchmark. The all liquid diet did suck for me and it was around day 4 that I caved and had the cheat.

Everyone is different. Finding a shake you like can help, but they seem to be an aquired taste sometimes. I've been living on "hot and sour Soup BROTH" alot and I make at home and is great. I can't do plain broth to save my life apparently.

I didn't adhere to the max daily cals 950 per day during pre op but I did keep the carbs low, if I was starving I drank. If I got hungry I either had a cup of soup or a shake. I have still lost around 10 lbs being on the liquids and will be on them for another two weeks now that I'm post op as of today.

Sometimes it's mind over matter I reckon. It's good that you're givin' it a shot before you HAVE to. For me, during the second week the thought of ANY "real" food would make me salivate. I'm talking lettuce or carrots or even mustard. So if you're on a modified liquid diet APPRECIATE that you can eat them carrots! :)

If you were told you could have a free vacation of your dreams, all expenses paid and all you had to do was drink a liquid diet for two weeks with no solid food. I would bet you would do it without complaint and with much eagerness. Well, this is just one step in our futures as new and more healthy individuals. Instead of thinking about how hard the liquid diet is we should be thinking about doing it and getting on with our lives. Rethink how we look at the liquid part of this journey and take it one day at a time. As corny as that sounds, some of us have done it and you know, we are still alive and it did not hurt us in the least. Try different drinks till you find the one that fits your taste, we are all so different what one of us swears by the other hates! Just think one day, one meal at a time, and pretty soon, the two weeks is over and you have done it. Be proud of the goal you made by living two weeks more, two weeks is not very long in your life (we hope). So try variety. There are so many drinks and Soups out there. Instant breakfast, for one, has several flavors to try. You can do it! I just know you can. Most of us are here because we love food so it is not the easiest thing for us to just have liquid, but you can do it!!! And for pete sake, talk to us so we can help. You are perfectly normal to believe this is hard. It is hard but it is not impossble.

Hi Free,

I am glad I am not the only one who is excited by my chewable vitamin!!!! How did your surgery go?

I schedulled my surgery at the end of October so that my 3 week liquid diet falls right over Thanksgiving. How dumb am I? pizza, chips and Cookies I care nothing about but I am a sucker for stuffing.

I schedulled my surgery at the end of October so that my 3 week liquid diet falls right over Thanksgiving. How dumb am I? pizza, chips and Cookies I care nothing about but I am a sucker for stuffing.

I had to do two pre-op diets - one over Thanksgiving and one was just after New Year's. (my first surgery was canceled just prior to the surgery)

Luckily, I only had to do the Liver Shrinking Diet - Ultra Low Carbs. It was pretty simple, but I did miss Thanksgiving goodies! Low Carbs really help with the cravings, after the 3rd or 4th day. I lost 17lbs/13lbs with each diet.

Good Luck with your diet!