Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcoholic Beverages...

Can you have alcohol after the band. I realize I won't be able to have a drink until the band heals, but what about later? I do enjoy a margarita or two...;o)

Can you have alcohol after the band. I realize I won't be able to have a drink until the band heals, but what about later? I do enjoy a margarita or two...;o)

As long as it's not carbonated I don't see a problem. I have a drink or two every weekend usually wine or a mixed drink. I didn't have a drink until i was 6 months out from my banding. I hope that helps.

I have enjoyed a drink or two, or three since being banded...but carbonation is out.

Thanks for the input! I am still really nervous about having the band and the follow up's. I just watched a video on YouTube showing a fill being done!

I'm not a drinker so it's not a big deal. My daughter who was banded last year, it has sooo not been a problem. Again, nothing carbonated but that leaves a wide variety open. She's very social so she's out a lot and drinks...but it's slow. She may nurse a drink for a couple of hours.

good luck

trisha

The BIG problem is "empty calories", I think. Often one or two alcoholic drinks isn't worth the 200+ calories (I don't do wine) so I often just decide I'd rather have food than liquor. Nice to know I can have a drink, though, if I want. Unfortunately most of my drinks of choice involved carbonation so I usually just pass.

I used to LOVE beer. Can't drink it anymore now due to the carbonation and I do miss it on a hot summer day. But I drink mostly white wine now and try to limit it to two. I also enjoy vodka and unsweetened cranberry juice. Rum and pineapple is nice too in the summer.

The BIG problem is "empty calories", I think. Often one or two alcoholic drinks isn't worth the 200+ calories (I don't do wine) so I often just decide I'd rather have food than liquor. Nice to know I can have a drink, though, if I want. Unfortunately most of my drinks of choice involved carbonation so I usually just pass.

I tried a beer this weekend, but I poured it in a glass and waited for the foam to be completely gone. I was fine, no bloating, no pain, no nothing.

I tried a beer this weekend, but I poured it in a glass and waited for the foam to be completely gone. I was fine, no bloating, no pain, no nothing.

Wow. My doc says no to anything carbonated even if it sits. He said that it can stretch your pouch, which is something I never want to happen.

I agree 100% RM, this being a main point, any cocktail or alcoholic drink is just a drink with totally empty calories, and when we are all on our journey of losing, why would we waste those few and precious calories on any drink that isn't to our benefit. I know that there are occassions where a cocktail is almost the main event, especially with the holidays coming up, but those are especially the times we all have to keep our guards up and keep plugging through our weight loss paths to the promised land of our goals.:scared2:

I LOVE the seasonal beers, and white wines, but these are very high in calories, and I will be giving those up until I reach my goal. Maybe I am being a bit naive, and

optimistic, but it sure does give me yet another reason to strive for that goal number ever harder.:drool:

Wow. My doc says no to anything carbonated even if it sits. He said that it can stretch your pouch, which is something I never want to happen.

You will find that Dr.s disagree on this. You should follow what your doc says though, especially if you feel it is right. I don't plan to make a habit of it, and I have not even craved a Diet Coke, which was my main addiction before surgery. My new favorite drink is Diet Green Tea... Yum.....

I got banded Aug 12 so its been 8 days. I saw my Dr yesterday and he cleared me for a Martini this weekend. No more beer or other carbonated drinks but i don't have to give up my martinis or single malt scotch. Yes they are empty calories but i am losing so much weight already I am not going to punish myself and go without. Thank you Dr Madan!

I got banded Aug 12 so its been 8 days. I saw my Dr yesterday and he cleared me for a Martini this weekend. No more beer or other carbonated drinks but i don't have to give up my martinis or single malt scotch. Yes they are empty calories but i am losing so much weight already I am not going to punish myself and go without. Thank you Dr Madan!

As I stated earllier, docs disagree a lot on the use of carbonation. My doc also said no carbonation and no caffiene. I do still enjoy one cup of coffee in the morning and now that I am a year out, I enjoy an occaional beer. In the beginning, when I tried a sip or two, it would hurt and I found out why they said no carbonation. Now I only need to pour it into a glass which releases some of the fiz, and I am fine with it. Hugs!!

I had a glass of wine this weekend with no problems.

Hi Octroy!!!

how was your experience with Dr. Atul Madan?!?!?! i am scheduled to have my surgery with him but THERE'S little information about him out here!

thanks!