Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help! Unexplained pain??

I was banded on 5/13/09 and felt like I was doing great -not much pain, sticking to the prescribed diet with little issues - until last week. First, my incision site got a little infected - not bad - just a little but now, I am having very uncomfortable pains in my abdomen/intestinal area - I contacted my doctor (they are 2 hrs away) and they advised that I see my local internist - he said everything looks fine - but I am still hurting - he put me on an antibiotic for the little infection on my incision but not for the abdomen pain. I am not rigid in the area, so I am fairly confident it's not something super serious (like internal bleeding) but I am not sure if this is a "new way" to experience gas pains? If it is, I may never eat refried Beans again!! Has anyone every experienced this? If feels like I have done a thousand crunches and lost ten rounds with a belly boxer....Any help would be most appreciated!!:thumbup:

I had my surgery on 5/19th and was having abdomen pains in the begaining. I was afraid to eat the first week and only drank liquids but the pains were intense my dr said that was true hunger pains. so I started eating mushies like Jello ect and that solved the problem. I have noticed since then when I eat too fast or dont chew the air hurts and usually a pb solves that pain. THe pain was above the band. I don know if you are private pay or if you can get a ultra sound or fluro. Have you had a fill yet? If there is a leak that is bad! My Surgeon put me on antibiotics from the start and so I was never at infection risk. I am thankful for that! I do know gas feelings have intensified it almost feels like pragnancy like a baby giving me a great BIG kick! I know I am not pregnant, must be gas. LOL :thumbup:

THanks for the help - I haven't had a fill yet, so I don't think that's part of the problem - the pains are below my stomach and on my flanks (that's what the internist called them - sounds like a side of beef:blush:) but the pains are mostly there and then gravitate downward. They are sharp and deep like in the muscles - it helps when I get in the hot tub or take a hot shower- I was really lucky, my insurance paid 100% - so I think I would qualiry for an addtional test - it just seems like my doctor's PA is nearly as concerned as I am - I was on liquids for the first week and then moved to mushies - I am trying to eat regularly but it's really a challenge because I hurt so much, I just don't want to eat - one person suggested possible muscle contractions from the healing process - maybe but this a real pain - I can't get comfortable to sleep, I know I am probably not eating as much as a could - the only good thing I can see is the I am losing weight! :thumbup: I would just hate this think my life is going to be like this forever!!!

Call your doctor and run it by him!!

Well, I am checking back in to let everyone know what happened - I knew something was wrong but everyone (doctors/nurses) said it was gas - after much ado - it was NOT!! I was rushed to the ER four days after my last post with a superior mesenteric thrombosis - basically, that's a really bad blood clot in a really bad place - ended up in the hospital for 10 days and now I am on blood thinners for at least a year :)...just wanted to remind everyone to trust your instincts - if it feels wrong, it probably is and don't just accept the quickly answer - it almost cost me my life...the really weird part is that this is totally unrelated to my lapband - my lapband surgeon called it "serendipidous" that we found the clot before it did any real damage to my intestinal tract - I was super, super lucky - thanks to my husband (he's a nursing student!) because he really knew something was wrong. I am on the road to recovery - once I am over the clot, they will start in on the lap band - fills, etc. - but that won't be for another few months...

Take Care everyone!:smile2:

Wow! what an experience!! Hope you are doing much, much better. It's great to have someone in the medical field in the family!

Navy I am so glad you are ok. Thank you for sharing. Sometimes we will think the pain is nothing to worry about when we should be persistent with the doctors. This is very valuable information for us all. Again, I am glad you are ok.

Thank goodness you listened to your gut (no pun intended) AND had an astute husband as your advocate. (Yay for nursing students! They are the best!)

I'm so glad you're on the road to recovery. Call it serendipity or a miracle, you're one lucky woman! That was a tragedy narrowly averted!