Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for those who are at goal or close to it

I'm so fascinated with anyone who has lost a lot of weight because I've wanted to for so long.. right now its hard to fathom how I would feel when I get there.

For those who are there, how do you feel? Are you comfortable in your own skin? Do you have access skin? Is it hard to buy clothes in a size that small? How do people treat you? Do you surprise yourself when you walk by a mirror at the store and realize its your small body in the mirror?

Hi there...from my experience I can say that I feel like a completely different person and I look like a completely different person. I was banded on April 30, 2007, I have lost 131 pounds and on April 14 I had a lower body lift and breast lift with augmentation. It is very weird walking into stores and picking up a much smaller size than before and I'm not sure if I will ever get used to it. When I see current pictures of myself I can't believe that it's me, whereas everyone else sees pictures of the old me and they say that they can't ever remember me like that (big). My self confidence is through the roof and I feel so good about myself. I finally feel like I love myself, for the first time in my life...what a wonderful feeling. I feel like I have a new life and it's a great one. I have posted current pics on here but I'll put some on this post so you don't have to search (if you're interested). Best of luck to you and just remember that you can do it!!!

post-217635-13813138428814_thumb.jpg

post-217635-13813138429156_thumb.jpg

post-217635-13813138429477_thumb.jpg

post-217635-1381313842974_thumb.jpg

post-217635-1381313843_thumb.jpg

Mom you look m a r v a l o u s!!!

As for me, I dont even recognize myself. I tend to pick up sizes that are too big and I am still shocked that they don't fit! I have some self image problems thinking I am still fat at times. People do treat me differently but then again I act differently. Heavy, I would go out without makeup and messy clothes ( nothing fit) Now I love putting makeup and good clothes! I know I am more outgoing and my kids say I am in a much better mood. I love this band!

For me I'm half way to my goal have lossed 40 at 6months banded. I feel great. There are times I feel like I should be further on, but then i realize that old saying i didnt put it on in a day and wont take it off in a day. I think people lose at different paceses so I keep telling my self that for me I'm doing great.. I dont feel that I'm treated any different, but i know its out there, so keep on loving your self and move.

Wanting to be at 150 to start with, I am only 30 pounds from my goal. I have noticed that while walking past a full lenght mirror I don't tend to shy away anymore. I don't mind looking in the mirror and seeing the person that is standing there staring back at me. I am on vacation right now in Gatlinburg, TN and the first night we were here, we went out to eat. Having to ask for a childs menu I explained to our waitress that i could only eat like a child size portion of food and thats why i was asking for it. After we had ordered our food and she brought us our drinks, she sit down beside me and ask why on earth i had the lapband surgery done that i in no way look like i needed it. With tears in my eyes and a few streaming down my face, I explained to here that only 10 months ago I weighed 267 pounds and sitting in front of here today, she saw a woman that was at 180 pounds. She was flabergasted and just looked at me in AWE!!!

All the pain and suffering that i had gone through, I knew at the moment was well worth it!!!

I still surprise myself sometimes when I see my reflection. I'm sure i dont really see myself the way i really look. I still see the fat me, but ironically, when I WAS fat I never saw just how big I really was. I've been well past my original goal for about 18 months.

I feel pretty good - but its not like I have this perfect body that I just love and never feel anxious over. I dont have "excess" skin to the point others have, I was very lucky, but if it werent for some leftover flab, I could have the perfect flat smooth stomach and dimple free thighs, I'd need a lower body lift for that. Dressed though, you could never tell, I'm just a bit "loose" and feel a bit exposed in a bathing suit. I'll never strut down a beach feeling totally confident. I still have problem areas.

At the most, I will get my boobs fixed up, they're just sad sad sad and I'm going to remove the saddlebags I still have with some Lipo. I would have a smoother contour without them and its an easy process. But woudl I resort to a lower body lift to be "perfect"? No, because I think even then I wouldnt feel perfect.

I'm so happy though. I love being able to wear pretty much what I want. Other problems arise, lol. You know how many larger women complain that they cant find boots to fit their calves. Well, when I wear boots, I look like I'm playing dress ups in my mother's clothes. Boots are HUGE on me.

As for how people treat me, well, I've had more nasty comments and snubs for being thin than I ever did for being fat - because I was blend in with the crowd fat. I wasnt huge, I had a BMI of 36, like so many people out there. I was no threat to anyone.

I still surprise myself sometimes when I see my reflection. I'm sure i dont really see myself the way i really look. I still see the fat me, but ironically, when I WAS fat I never saw just how big I really was. I've been well past my original goal for about 18 months.

I feel pretty good - but its not like I have this perfect body that I just love and never feel anxious over. I dont have "excess" skin to the point others have, I was very lucky, but if it werent for some leftover flab, I could have the perfect flat smooth stomach and dimple free thighs, I'd need a lower body lift for that. Dressed though, you could never tell, I'm just a bit "loose" and feel a bit exposed in a bathing suit. I'll never strut down a beach feeling totally confident. I still have problem areas.

At the most, I will get my boobs fixed up, they're just sad sad sad and I'm going to remove the saddlebags I still have with some Lipo. I would have a smoother contour without them and its an easy process. But woudl I resort to a lower body lift to be "perfect"? No, because I think even then I wouldnt feel perfect.

I'm so happy though. I love being able to wear pretty much what I want. Other problems arise, lol. You know how many larger women complain that they cant find boots to fit their calves. Well, when I wear boots, I look like I'm playing dress ups in my mother's clothes. Boots are HUGE on me.

As for how people treat me, well, I've had more nasty comments and snubs for being thin than I ever did for being fat - because I was blend in with the crowd fat. I wasnt huge, I had a BMI of 36, like so many people out there. I was no threat to anyone.

That's great! You sound very happy. Can I ask how long it took you to reach your goal? My goal is 110 pounds and I have been banded for 10 days now and have lost 5 pounds but nothing else. I feel like I am a failure. I know I am hard on myself but I want results fast because I eat nothing and am so motivated to stay active and healthy. How long did it take you to reach your goal? I just can't wait to lose at least 40 pounds. SOme days I feel so emotional about it. Almost like I am trapped with or without the band and it's all in my head. Is this normal?

Well i still have about 38 lbs to my final goal but I feel great, like a new person. I'm not sure about the skin thing because i still have so much weight to lose. I still keep forgetting not to put my fat clothes on because I am so use to them. I just got my new drivers lic. picture this week and I just cant believe how different I look.

It takes a long time for your head to get wrapped around the new size you are. I still have a lot of issues surrounding what I REALLY look like vs. how I think I look. There is often a big difference. And as Jacqui said, when I was really heavy, I never saw myself like that. I convinced myself that the fat pictures were usually bad camera angles, lol.

Dressed, my excess skin is not that noticeable, but I DO have excess. And I may look hot in a bikini, but I have a LOT of excess skin hanging on the lower stomach. I have arms with extra skin and my thighs, well, they jiggle extra now, and dimple too. But I look WAY better now than I did before, so I am NOT complaining... Self tanner and good fitting clothes make a big difference.

Jacqui mentioned the boots thing. I am the EXACT opposite. I have 'fankles' with fat still on my ankles. And my calves, even at a size 4, require big girl boots. They are ALL muscle. Its like my body is waiting for me to get fat again. But, it is a small problem to have, and even though it is out of proportion, others don't notice it, so I don't fret. You are way harder on yourself than others are on you. Promise.

As you lose weight, you will be more confident. Your method of dress with change, to reflect your new body. And you'll notice people will treat you differently cause you are not overweight. Some of it is due to your new confidence, but some is due to people viewing thinner people differently.

I've attached before and after pics.

post-232323-13813138435915_thumb.jpg

post-232323-13813138436186_thumb.jpg