Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you tell everyone or no?

Hey guys this is my first post in the 20something group!!

I'm scheduled for banding on 6/24 and unsure of who I want to let in on it.

I've been very outspoken on how proud and happy I am of being a big girl and feel like it could be taken as me flipflopping on the matter.

Any thoughts or personal experiences?

I told my mom, younger sister, 1 friend and 1 "friend". It's a very personal decision as to whom you wish to share this experience with. Good luck to you on your journey.

I told immediate family, Obviously fiance, and a handful of friends. Told my office I was having a cyst removed and when I went back to work (4 days out-way too soon) told them along with the cyst my gall bladder came out. reasons for the wacky diet, I simply said the neutritionist has me on it to get my metabolism going. Now that I'm transitioning to mush soft, I'm watching dramatically what I eat so no one's paying attention anymore. but they're noticing the weight coming off.:(

I've told my close family, and less than a handful of friends at work. Unfortunately word got out at work and so most people know. What's frustrating is that now everyone at work wants to do it and I'm afraid it's looking like a trend and an easy fix and is taking my credibility away, which is why I didn't want them to know in the first place. Anyway I've decided my approach with the issue of telling people or not will be that I won't directly lie, but I won't announce it to the world. If they ask where I was I'll tell them I had surgery. If they ask what kind of surgery I had I'll tell them it's personal. If they ask how I'm loosing weight, I plan on telling them "hard work, exercise, and magic." Just from hearing from friends that have had it done, I think the more people that know the more pressure I'll put on myself so during the process I'd like to have as least amount of stress as possible. Now when I'm close to my goal weight maybe I'll announce it to the world :biggrin:

I think the more people that know the more pressure I'll put on myself so during the process I'd like to have as least amount of stress as possible. Now when I'm close to my goal weight maybe I'll announce it to the world :biggrin:

I can totally relate to this!! I was front desk for a chiro and was doing a 9 day cleanse, well I told a few patients (hoping I could sell some) and literally everyday they asked me if I had lost more weight! In my head I was like ITS ONLY BEEN 2 DAYS SINCE YOU ASKED ME!!! but then so I didn't feel like a failiure I'd lie and say I lost a pound.

Lucky for me I have friends who'll tell me I look like I've lost weight even when I haven't, sounds silly but I appreciate it.

(those are the friends I'll tell!)

I have 2 people in my office that want to try my "Crazy diet"... it's lame, but I have to keep it up. I had to tell the bosses it was a simple surgery because I've only been at my job for 2 1/2 months and already needed time off.

Definitely! Plus like my one friend that just had it done, the people at work that do know - when they aren't asking how much weight she's lost, they are scrutinizing every single piece of food she puts in her mouth and I know they're judging her behind her back.

Again just pressure that I don't really need.

First post ever so bear with :unsure:

Funniest thing happened to me. Was banded 04/27/09. Pre-op hell went fairly smooth for me (I feel so sorry for the ones who have to deal with insurance forever!) so my surgery date was only about a month after the inital consult.

Before surgery 3 people knew and ONLY 3 people. My boss, to explain the absence from work. My mom, becuase I tell mommy everything lol. My roomate, someone had to drive me home. These 3 were not allowed to breathe a word to anyone because I was so scared of what people would think, that I was taking the easy way out (which by the way, if anyone thinks what we're doing is "easy" lets cut them open then take their best friend away lol) Also, another major concern was the rest of my fam would try to talk me out of it. I didn't want to have to explain or justify my decision to the world.

Then I had surgery, came back to work, and started what I call my 'new life' and somehow I just didn't care who knew. It was done. I had done it for the right reasons. A big plus...it was already working.

I'm 5 weeks in, 13 pounds lighter, and VERY optimistic!

Hope this helps :tongue2:

Candice

235/227/214

Candace, I definitely understand what you're saying. I don't want to have to justify myself or defend myself, and people are more likely to question you before you've had it done when they feel they can do something rather than afterwards when it's a moot point. I know once I have it done I'll feel way more comfortable with it all.

Plus, you can't argue with results!

I have told my immeaditate family. I don't really care who knows, because I am only interested in the results. I do think it is much easier for guys, because most other guys don't care. Chicks can be very mean to each other, especially if you are improving yourself. My plan is to tell if asked directly, but do not plan to advertise. This is a personal choice and we all know many people have adverse opinions about WLS in general. As far as the time off, I am taking the week off from work and not providing any explaniation.

Vanity, unless you are the type comfortable telling people...f*ck-off, it is none of there business, I would keep it to yourself. After redaing this board daily for months, I have learned that many people (about 50% by my guess) have had very negtive expereences sharing their plans with the world. I continue to be amzaed by those who don't want to support their loved ones, but this board is littered with horror stories. Be honest is asked, but don't advertise.

Shaun

I've told anyone that would stand still. SERIOUS! On Mother's day I was telling the buffet lady. "pile it on, I'm having surgery in a few weeks!"... my mother could have died!

I don't like to hide anything. I wear all my emotions on my sleeve. I do suffer from TMI syndrome too.

Basically it comes down to who you really want to know. On the day of my surgery, there were twins sisters there that hadn't told a soul besides their significants. I can't imagine that. But to each his own.

It's all up to you and who you're comfortable with knowing about it.

PS~ I must say my ex hubby does NOT know... none of his damn biz.... and I wanna surprise him one day looking damn good.. know what I mean?? :thumbup:

Shaun,

Thats what I'm going to do. I've told those that know not to spread it around, but we'll see how that goes :thumbup:

In the mean time, I'm just trying to survive my pre-op diet

Thanks for everyones responses!

I've told my parents and instructed them not to tell ANYONE else. The HR manager and my boss at work both know what's going on. I'm an executive at work and I really don't want everyone knowing my business, I don't even use my home address on employer materials but instead a P.O. Box. I love my job but those people aren't my friends. As I get closer to my surgery date October/November I'll let a couple of close friends in on it but that is likely it.

I live a bit of a bi-coastal lifestyle so I see my friends and family on and off every few months depending on where i'm at. This makes the "scrutinizing" problem a little easier for me.

I am having surgery in less than two weeks. I have told my immediate family and that's it. I think the way I will deal with it is to limit who knows to my family until I feel like I want to tell someone. Maybe I'm in a really good conversation with a good friend and I feel like they are open/interested in knowing what is going on with me.

So, I guess bottom line for me is I don't want to draw any lines too soon but I'm planning on keeping my cards close to the vest.

I am having surgery in less than two weeks.

Oooh, when is your sugery?

Oh and apparently my husband has been telling people >.>

He's not happy about it so I guess this is his way of getting back at me :thumbup:

(I put a stop to it tho)