Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does caffeine affect you differently after banding?

I've never been sensitive to caffeine. I'm not addicted. I might have one cup of coffee in the mornings maybe 3 days per week. That's it. I don't do tea, cola, etc.

I'm nearly a week past my band placement.

Yesterday I came back to work and had a cup of coffee at 8AM.

I noticed the shaky-caffeine effect right away. (Before, I wouldn't have gotten that unless I drank 3 or 4 cups of coffee, which was very rare).

All day and all evening, I was buzzing with energy. Which is SOOOOO not me. :redface: At 11:00PM, I went to bed and I could NOT fall asleep. It was past 1AM before I finally fell asleep. Then I woke up before my alarm at 5:30AM.

I came to work and had a cup of coffee again, and the buzz is strong.

I'm taking no other meds - I've been off the pain meds (which made me groggy) for a few days now.

Where is this ENERGY and perhaps newly found sensitivity to caffeine coming from? What's it all about? Anyone else experience this? Could it be because my body isn't getting food right now (except oyster crackers)??

Hi Linda.....forgive the stupid question, but is it possible that a different person made the coffee at work? Here in my hospital, I know exactly when a certain nurse makes the coffee because it's much stronger than what everybody else makes. Other than that, I don't have much of a theory, lol.

I wonder if that's it.... I never thought of that.

I had a cup today and even though I was buzzing right after, it didn't last. It's nearly bedtime and I'm TIRED so I'm sure I'll fall right to sleep.

Good thinking.... Thanks. :biggrin: That seemed way too extreme (although still sort of does - even if it was a double-batch or something - ALL day???)

Maybe some one-time thing....

Yeah, what plain said! :biggrin:

I drink buckets of unsweet tea and coffee each day. I did without any (w/no side effects, no withdrawal) for my preop diet and about 3 months post op. Then when I realized my doc had forbidden it because it "could be" an appetite suppressant, I happily poured myself a big glass of tea :biggrin:

No shakes. No nothing. Just delicious tea! Same with the coffee.

But if it bothers you for whatever reason you should perhaps forgo it.

Also keep in mind that when you now drink and eat it is a lot less and the body asborbs more at one time. I have noticed that I used to be able to drink about 4 long Island teas and now I can only do one before I have to stop.

Chris

Also keep in mind that when you now drink and eat it is a lot less and the body asborbs more at one time. I have noticed that I used to be able to drink about 4 long Island teas and now I can only do one before I have to stop.

Chris

Chris this isn't strictly true; many of us DO eat less but the body doesn't absorb MORE caffeine because we only drink 1 cup than if we drank 2, and the food stays in our UPPER stomachs longer. Most digestion occurs in the intestines. Alcohol is not digested normally so some may think they can't drink as much but actually liquids (which is the form most of us get our alcohol IN! LOL) go through as fast as they ever did for those of us who aren't so tight that we can't swallow our own saliva.

So I'm getting from my 1 cup of coffee in the AM essentially the same thing I WAS getting from it prebanding.

I drink a lot of coffee - probably five, or six cups a day but usually I just drink instant so its not strong, brewed coffee, I'd only have one of those once a day or less. So I'm fairly impervious to caffeine, I usually have a coffee after dinner with no ill effects. I do notice if I'm out and have an espresso after dinner, that does keep me awake because its so strong.

But I'm the same post surgery as before.

Once i got really good restriction, i am unable to drink as much as i did before. I still drink around 3-4 cups a day. If i have to much, or pick to dark a brew i get an upset stomach and possibly some heartburn.

My surgeon urged me to stay away from caffeine... b/c it can cause hunger. Just a tidbit from my doctor. I was never a caffeine drinker, so now i just try to be aware of if something has caffeine or not. :tongue:

My surgeon urged me to stay away from caffeine... b/c it can cause hunger. Just a tidbit from my doctor. I was never a caffeine drinker, so now i just try to be aware of if something has caffeine or not. :tongue:

Note the "can" cause hunger...for some, caffeine is actually an appetite suppressant. It's been in many many OTC diet pills/concoctions, etc. So it may or may not make a person hungry. It doesn't impact me that way, but then I've been drinking sugar free iced tea since I was about 6. I can honestly say that caffeine is one thing that does NOT make me hungry LOL :)

Fortunately I don't get w/drawal from it either; I didn't indulge pre band and post band for about 3 months but finally cleared with my doc that it was ok for me to have it. We're all different....amazingly so! :)

It does effect me more now, but I use to drink so much Dt. Coke and now I don't, so my body is not as use to it as it use to be.

Caffeine makes my stomach hurt now. Even one pop ripps me up.

sorry dont want to correct anyone but caffeine is a stimulant not a suppressant caffeine increases your food cravings because it increases the stress hormone cortisol. cortisol raises heart rate and blood pressure telling your body to increase its energy it stores this then results in the body craving sweets. caffeine also acts as a diuretic so that means you need to drink more Water because you are voiding more than you take in this could result in dehydration if notgetting enough fluids my doc does not want any caffeine in my diet for these reasons. by the way your energy level increased could be due to less carb in your diet. i know i dont sleep half as much as i used to its great isnt it. :confused:

sorry dont want to correct anyone but caffeine is a stimulant not a suppressant caffeine increases your food cravings because it increases the stress hormone cortisol. cortisol raises heart rate and blood pressure telling your body to increase its energy it stores this then results in the body craving sweets. caffeine also acts as a diuretic so that means you need to drink more Water because you are voiding more than you take in this could result in dehydration if notgetting enough fluids my doc does not want any caffeine in my diet for these reasons. by the way your energy level increased could be due to less carb in your diet. i know i dont sleep half as much as i used to its great isnt it. :confused:

Caffeine affects different people in different ways. It's been used to treat ADHD before because of the reverse effect it has on some people.

I'm 44 and have enjoyed one cup of coffee on workdays for much of my adult life. I know exactly how caffeine impacts me - I've never been sensitive to it at all.

It wasn't because of fewer carbs as I had been restricting carbs for quite some time prior to this.

For whatever reason, in the first few weeks after surgery, it had a much different effect on me than usual. Everything has gone back to normal now.