Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello...

I was banded April 7th and in the two weeks after my surgery, I lost 15 pounds. I was thrilled and felt I finally was on my way to accomplishing something I haven't been able to do over the past 8 years: lose this excess weight! However, the weight loss stopped once I went back in solid foods. I have gone for 1 fill and they only put 1cc of Fluid in the band, which doesn't seem like much at all. It didn't really do much for me and I feel like I can eat anything.

I do notice there are certain foods that I have difficulty swallowing if I eat too fast or don't chew enough…..I get “stuck” and have to take deep breaths, stand up and walk around or sometimes it comes back up. However, once it goes down, or comes back up, I can continue eating. My concern is that although I do feel like I have difficulty with some foods, I never really feel full. And, there are things that I could just eat and eat with no restriction though, like chips and salsa and most other things. I am going for a second fill next week and plan on talking this over with my doctor, but I thought I’d post to see if anyone else was dealing with this. I am a little discouraged, but at the same time I keep telling myself that I only had 1 fill and it may take some time to get going with the weight loss. I just want to feel full with a little bit of food!! I am so nervous that I just shelled out $15k and won’t even be able to make THIS work!

Thanks for listening! :thumbup:

I'm right there with you. I had my surgery April 8th. Like you, I lost 10 lbs the first week. When I went for my first fill, I only showed a 8.8lb loss since surgery(that was almost 5 weeks out). I go for my 2nd fill next week also, and I weigh 1 lb more this morning than I did at my first fill. I can pretty much eat anything also, and rarely feel full. I hope and pray that everyone is right and that with each fill, things will get easier with more restriction. I worry too that this is just another failure.......:thumbup:..........in a very long string of failures. I'm trying to keep thinking possitive though, so you try to do the same. Just know you aren't alone. there are others out there, in the same boat!

Donna:confused:

I think that is very common post op. I am only a week and half out and I have lost 13 pounds. I was able to start soft food on Monday and I haven't lost anymore in the last three days. I know it can take a while to find the perfect fill adjustment.

You're doing the right thing by going back to your surgeon...they'll help you out and maybe give you a little more fill. We just have to remember this is still going to be a lot of work to lose weight, even with the band.

But yes, I can relate...I'm trying to stay positive and wait to get my first fill and see if I'll start losing again then. The scale was just sailing down those first few days, then nothing in the last few. Frustrating, but I think typical at this stage.

You will be fine!! It is a process and you just have to be patient and let it happen. It took me five fills to get to my sweet spot but now I am there and the weight is falling off.

Hang in there!

Debbie

I'm right there with you. I am doing my best to try and not "eat everything". My dr. stressed the importance of this being a practice period of getting used to eating the way we will HAVE to eat once we are in the green zone with restriction. Eventually you won't be able to or want to eat chips and salsa and "everything" from what I have been told. We will all get there with time. Have you figured out what your "feel full" signal is yet?

Thank you all for the support and encouragement! We are all in this together, and will get there! It is nice to have a sounding board, though and know I am not alone.

I guess I haven't figured out my feeling full "signal" - I would say it's the same as before. The only troubles I am having with eating is eating too fast, or not chewing enough. I certainly can't "wolf" down food like I could before (thank God, right?!?!) Nothing is really restriciting the amount of food I eat, just the rate at which I eat it :thumbup:. The other night I was eating a peice of chicken breast that my husband burnt the cr@p out of! It was so dry and it got stuck and I eventually threw it up. But I went right back to my corn on the cobb and was able to eat it! I dont' want to constantly be getting stuck, I want to feel FULL and lose interest in food!

I am so glad that I didn't tell the world I had this surgery. I would totally be feeling like they were looking at me thinking I was a fool for having done so. I am nervous that my husband is going to start complaining that we spent all this money and I am not getting anywhere, although he has been very supportive thus far and it I probably think that way b/c that is how I feel.

1cc is basically almost no restriction. If you try very hard to stick to the eating plan, you will lose but you will experience hunger. Getting stuck has nothing to do with having any restriction. It can happen before your first fill.

A few comments .... corn is a starchy vegetable and probably not a good choice.

Dry Protein of any variety is likely to stick. Put some kind of sauce on it or soak it in broth.

My doctor suggests eating your Protein, then your veggie and then waiting 15 minutes. If you still feel hungry, then have a single serving of whole grain carb (not potato or corn or similar starchy vegetable). If you get hungry before 4 hours, eat an ounce of low fat cheese, 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese, or even an ounce of meat.

Eventually, if you eat slowly and chew well (and have more restriction than 1cc), you will feel full. If won't be that Thanksgiving Day stuffed feeling but full nonetheless. If you eat fast, you'll just run right past that feeling, so eat slowly and enjoy your meal [your protein, then your veggie and then waiting 15 minutes. If you still feel hungry, then have a single serving of whole grain carb].

Don't eat chips and salsa (and other "slider" food) just because you can! Eat by the meal plan.

I've had 4 fills (on top of .6cc in my band after surgery) and I am at 5.6 and feel that I am at my sweet spot. My surgery was 2/10 and my 4th fill was just 2 weeks ago. Patience is something you're going to have to find, and I know it's hard. You feel like you've finally done something to fix this problem and damn-it-all it isn't working as fast as you want.

Oh, Katy! You nailed it. The boat is getting awfully full... 'cause I'm in there too. Had my surgery March 17th. Although I lost 31 lbs. (a respectable amount) the rest of your story is MY story. My surgeon is ultra-conservative and I don't go back in for my 2nd fill until June 8th. When he finds out I haven't lost anything since my 1st fill, I am afraid he will be very unhappy with me. He thinks I should be doing everything perfectly & losing without the help of the band. I have never even gotten stuck. Debbie, thanks for posting a reply. It really helps to know we're not alone and it could take 5 fills (or more) to get to the sweet spot. I WILL HAVE FAITH!

Christy

I haven't had any fills yet, only banded May 8th. but it really helps to read all your post and gives me a good heads up on what to expect and to be patience above all else. thanks for a great thread.

I am really going to focus on my eating plan and getting on a regular exercise program to help this next fill get me going!

I was really hoping not to have to "diet" once getting banded...but I do know that this weight loss is not just going to come at the snap of my finger and there will need to be some effort on my part, not leaving it all up to the band. Let's all repeat....."the band is not a magic bullet"!

I went for my first fill today, and the surgeon put in 4 cc's. I still don't feel any different, but some people say it takes a few days....I lost at first, then plateaud for the last 3 weeks - I had actually gained 1 lb when I went yesterday for my fill...the surgeon wasn't worried because I don't have much restriction yet....give yourself a break!!!!!

hi everyone,

i was banded 17 days ago. and am on mushy foods.

sometimes i eat a little bit more than i am supposed to not a huge amount over. and sometimes snack between meals. the last 3 days i have noticed that just after a meal i get a stitch like feeling just under my rib on the left side. i was naughty a few times by having a few pieces of potatoe chips diluted with a bit of fruit juice.

do you guys think i have stretched the small pouch above the band. cause i only get that feeling after i eat a good meal.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanxx

hello,

boy can i relate..had my surgery april 20th, do not get my first fill till june 5. i hope it helps, because i just keep gaining instead of losing (actually i keep gaining and losing the same 4 pounds).

i have no restriction at all, but i do try to stay with in the diet (protein first etc) i been counting calories and usually only take in 800 to 1200.

i have lost a total of 12 pounds in 6 weeks. i have been on solids for 3.

i hope this works, cause nothing else has!

good luck on your journey!

You will be fine!! It is a process and you just have to be patient and let it happen. It took me five fills to get to my sweet spot but now I am there and the weight is falling off.

Hang in there!

Debbie

Your exactly right, I could have made this exact post back in January.

I was banded 12/31/2008 (New Years Eve) and I definitely understand. I have had 3 fills and weight is coming off slow but overall I am averaging about 1 pound a week. iIhave lost a total of 25 pounds, but I am steadily losing so I am okay with that. Some weeks hold steady but I believe that as long as the weight is coming off it is a good thing.

My doctor did tell me that it may be good for me to come in the afternoon for my next fill because the band is tighter for me in the morning. Talk to your doctor. I am sure that he will give you some good suggestions,but as far as weight loss you seem to be on track. I wish you continued success.