Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all i am new to this site. I am in the process of deceiding which is best for me Bypass or Lap Band. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how you came to the decision to band?

This web site may help you:

Lap-Band vs. Gastric Bypass Surgery

For me bypass was never an option. As I age I was worried about the malabsorption issues (many older people don't use nutrition efficiently as our bodies age, I didn't want to trade one medical issue for another) and I didn't want my intestines rerouted, my stomach sewn shut but left in place to produce acid etc. My husband is an RN and worked for years at a GI lab; many MANY of the patients they saw were bypass patients. If the band weren't an option, I'd never have had surgery.

Finally; 5 years out they say that banded patients and bypass patients have generally lost the same amount of weight. It's not a race, the band is reversible (another BIG plus to me) and I wanted to be thinner but healthy. So to me, the band was obvious.

It's not so clear for everyone, though.

I definitely agree with monkey. I mean who wants to know that your stomach is still inside you just sewn up like that? Not me lol. There's also a website called www.thinnertimes.com it has alot of wls patients that have the bypass, band and sleeve - You could always sign up there and see different peoples testimonials as whoever you ask on here is always going to be partial to the band if you know what I mean.

There are a MILLION different viewpoints on this! LOL!

As someone who has had both the Lap band and a Gastric Bypass, I can speak to this with some experience.

For ME, the Bypass has been a good thing. The band, on the on other hand, was life-threatening, several times.

You will find people that will have the opposite story to tell.

Each and every method of WLS has its risks and benefits. There are complications with all of them; no method is entirely without some form of potential difficulty. If you search this site, you will see posts from myself and some other people that will give you a really good idea as to the problems with both forms of surgery.

People who would never consider having a bypass will usually offer the argument that they are afraid of the Malabsorbtion component of the surgery. That is a valid concern, HOWEVER, there are circumstances where the malabsorbtion is something you NEED to have to make ANY form of WLS work for you. It all depends on YOUR BODY, and NOT whether any particular surgery has worked well for someone ELSE.

My own case in point: I have been aware for many years that I just don’t eat THAT much. There have been times in my life that I DID eat a lot, but for the most part I was one of those guys that simply LOOKED at food and gained 5 pounds. My therapist recognized this, my personal trainer recognized this, and family and friends could see it too. For Many years prior to even considering having WLS, I had very often wished that there some method that would prevent me from absorbing much of what I ate….I wished that it would simply “pass on through”.

So, for MY particular needs, I SHOULD have had the Gastric Bypass to begin with. Malabsorbtion is what I needed. And, it has worked for me. Very well, in fact. I am presently very happy at the PERFECT weight for my height and build.

With Gastric Bypass, the simple facts about nutrition are that, for MOST people, if you take your Vitamins, and eat sensibly, you will be fine and healthy. There are rules with the GB, as there are rules with EACH AND EVERY WLS. Try and circumvent the rules and you will gain weight, or have some significant problems. Again, this is the truth with EVERY WLS.

I chose the lap band for many of the same reasons that people here have stated: “It’s reversible/removable”, “No cutting up of my insides”, “It’s adjustable to my needs”,…blah, blah, blah. And the damn thing nearly killed me. Literally. I had life threatening complications.

Don’t get me wrong; as I have said here many times the Lap Band has worked wonders for many, many people. But there is increasing incidence of complications, failures, and injury from the Lap band. One of my surgeons has told me several times that he thinks it will be removed form the market within a few years, due to these increasing problems. I don’t think it will, but it is interesting to hear that from a Surgeon.

I think that my point here is, that YOU don’t choose your Weight Loss Surgery; IT chooses YOU. And it chooses you after you have done extensive research, met with plenty of Doctors, had psychotherapy (yes, that is an IMPORTANT component), and have TRUTHFULLY analyzed what KIND of overeater you are. It’s not simple, like choosing what movie you are going to see this weekend, and you should plan on taking plenty of time to arrive at a decision. You have probably spent many, many years becoming overweight, and you need to commit to a significant amount of effort in deciding what your surgical solution will be. Talk to very, very experienced surgeons who have done hundreds of BOTH Bands and Bypasses, and find out what their outcomes have been with the different procedures. Talk to Drs who specialize in Bariatrics, to determine if what you need is malabsorbtion or restriction.

Also, don’t entirely rule out diet and exercise. I know, like most overweight people you have probably tried that. Multiple times. But you need to make sure that you have given it your BEST SHOT. Hire a Trainer. See a nutritionist. People use diet and exercise every day to lose/maintain their weight. Many, many people are successful at it. For those who are not, there is Weight Loss Surgery. But you need to give it your best. Because, whether you like it or not, after you have Weight Loss Surgery of ANY kind, you will STILL be on a diet. And you will still need to exercise to maintain your health. Surgery of any kind should ALWAYS be a LAST RESORT.

One thing I highly recommend is reading a book called “The PH Miracle”, by Dr. Robert O. Young. It’s a book that has changed my life. I firmly believe that if I had discovered this material many years ago, I would not be writing this, at this moment. I believe I would never have had weight Loss Surgery. Because, when you get right down to it, it’s NOT simply about losing weight….it’s about becoming HEALTHY. And one of the by-products of Good Health is arriving at your natural weight. Most people don’t concentrate on getting healthy….they just want to lose the weight. But if you make getting healthy your priority, you might see a difference in the outcome.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck in this process. It can be life-changing for you, as it has for me and the many other people on this forum.:thumbup:

HH

"The Journey is the Reward"

Thank you to everyone for the great advice. Did anyone have to loose weight before surgery and if how did you do it.

I have until July 23rd to loose 20 lbs. I keep hearing about the protien liquid diet and if anyone has comment about it let me know please.

Tracie

Nope, not me. Didn't have to lose an ounce.

Have you decided which procedure you are going to have? If so, what were the compelling factors that made you choose one over the other?

HH

HH,

I am leaning more towards the Lap Band. For several reason. One being less invasive. The band just offers more of what i am looking for.

But i am still exploring i'm only in the beginning stages. And if i don't get this 20 lbs off i won't be having anything done. lol :smile:

Thanks,

Tracie