Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I go to the siminar tomorrow and I just have a question. I heard that it's up to you and your dr to decide if the band is right for you or not. Has anyone had the dr tell them that the band wasn't right for them and to go with gastric, but you didn't want to and got the band anyway? Is it really your choice I mean has anyone you know been turned down to get the band. I know some dr's may talk you into the gastric to get more money from the surgery. I know a friend of mine went to the siminar and changed her mind to the gastric instead of the band. Can anyone help with this question?

Ultimately it is up to you. Be as informed as possible about each type of WLS. Many doctors recommend gastric bypass for patients that are significantly overweight because of the initial rapid weight loss and maybe due to other factors such as co-morbidities.

You need to be aware that some doctors have their own motivation for the type of surgery to recommend. Maybe they only do lap band, or get better reimbursements for gastric bypass or other types of surgery. Maybe your insurance doesn't cover certain types of WLS. There are many reasons. Make sure the one you choose is YOUR choice. Take the doctors advice into consideration, but really, you know yourself better than anyone. Which type of surgery do you think you will have the most success with and which one do you think you could tolerate the best?

Bottom line, the lap band doesn't "work" for everyone, because you do control what you eat. Unlike bypass (where many get dumping syndrome if they eat sweets, and initially at least they have "malabsorption" to help them lose) we can eat shakes, candy, Cookies, nachos, chips, whatever. While the band, once tightened, does control true physiologic hunger, it won't help with head hunger (although some find it easier to not snack because of the "idea" of having the band and all it stands for). So if you are a grazer or, like me, a night time snacker (for example) you have to deal with that; the band is of limited help. You have to choose the healthy foods. You have to exercise.

So your doc may guide you but if you feel s/he is trying to meet his or her own agenda, GET ANOTHER DOC.

Although I started out at 405 my doc never once tried to convince me to do bypass. He presented both in his seminar and let his patients decide. If you have an issue where you can't (in his opinion) get the band...like an immune disease, then he won't do it. Otherwise he performs both and supports both.

And realize initially gastric may cost a little more, but over time the band probably costs almost as much, what with fills and follow ups. So I don't think any sane doc would push one over the other just for money. At least, I wouldn't go to a doc I thought was doing that!

I have had several Dr.s tell me that a should have bypass not the band(because of my weight and diabetes). I would just suggest that you do your own research and if you feel strongly that the band is for you (like I did ) be able to speak to the Dr. about why. I think many Dr.'s deal with people who come in everyday and have no idea there is a big difference between the two proceedures and then they end up treating everyone like the they know nothing.

Just listen to all the information and decide what you are most comfortable with. Good Luck!

I was a low bmi patient (36) and my Dr tried to talk me into gastric instead of band. His reasoning was that gastric takes out more of the human screw up element. He said most people who choose band loose and maintain about 50% of their excess weight compared to bypass patient who loose and maintain 75% of their excess weight. He said to loose 100% means you have to really put in the extra work and effort on your own. I still opted for banding.