Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omg!! This is crazy!!

Okay, i have to find out if anyone else has felt this way. I waited and waited to get approved for my lapband(5 months process). I finally got the call your approved, surgery is June 22nd. Okay Fantastic!! But since ive gotten that call I have gained 5lbs. My preop liquid diet starts on June 8th and I can't even get my head prepared now. Why can't i control what im putting in my mouth. I am acting like the 2 weeks before my preop is a free for all to gorge on food. I feel miserable. I would love to get my head in order so I can lose at least 5 lbs before i start my liquid diet which i dont think is unreasonable. I need to feel like I have some sense of control before I begin this journey. Why am I not more excited. CONFUSED

Since you asked, I felt the exact same way. I wasn't "afraid" of the surgery, but I felt like since it was scheduled, I didn't have to try to maintain any kind of self-control. Luckily, I didn't have to do a pre-op diet. I doubt I would have handled that well. After the surgery, my head was in a completely different place and I did just fine. Hopefully, the pre-op diet will do that for you.

Cindy

yes it is- but the feeling is also normal.:sad: How you deal with it now, may show your willingness to follow through after the surgery. The band is only a tool- you have to use it as only part of your weight loss plan. Take a deep breath and start working on the habits you will need post surgery- the chewing, the exercise,at least X amt of protein/day, only X specific snacks/day, - :nono:DO IT NOW!!! It will take your focus from what you are giving up (with the operation- stuffing yourself) and focus on what you will gain (more control). You will start exercising (walking) by day 2, so get started Consider starting the Pre-op diet early; Or approach it in stages. i did 1-2 meals a day from my pre-op diet, before I had to. Get the products and any equipment you will need (protein powder, chewable/liquid meds and Vitamins, magic bullet etc) set up so they are easily accessible when you get home. You won't drive or go shopping on the way home,or for a few days post surgery. You have a lot to do before the surgery- no time to waste focusing on what you think you 'll miss.:lol: BTW, you will eventually be able to eat most items you liked before the surgery-just a lot less.

You are completely normal... but PLEASE take it from someone who set themself back considerably... start now! I had an issue w/insurance and doctors so I had to change doctors after 4 months of working with one I really like. I was so distraught and told myself the insurance wasn't going to approve it at all. I emotionally ate my way into another 15 pounds before meeting with the new surgeon! It wasn't even that serious. I had completed everything I met with him and less than a month later I was having surgery. Less than a month later though I was up with 15 more pounds to lose than I started! Now instead of feeling like I am down 23 lbs... it's really more like 8 becuase of the damage I did between feb and may! Practice now or you will eat your way into having to lose more than you want to now! Just my advice!

I am also being banded on the june 22 I to have to start a liquid diet on june 8th but for some reason the day i got the call I decided it was time to start trying to lose weight in the last 3 weeks I have lost 12 pounds and I hope to have lost 30 pounds before june 22 the problem I am having is that now I am starting to wonder if I should still go threw with it I seem to be doing well on my own??

Many folks struggle with the "last meal binges" it is very normal. Just try to remember that the sooner you start the right behaviors the sooner you will get the results you want.

Have you been doing the liquid diet is that how you lost 12 pounds. Was just curious where your motivation is coming from..I havent had success at weight loss in such a long time.

I do not start my liquid diet tell june 8 all I have been trying to do is eat only three small meals a day and trying not to eat more then 800-1000 calories. I guess i am trying to eat like i will have to after being banded. I feel great and not very hungry anymore

I am also being banded on the june 22 I to have to start a liquid diet on june 8th but for some reason the day i got the call I decided it was time to start trying to lose weight in the last 3 weeks I have lost 12 pounds and I hope to have lost 30 pounds before june 22 the problem I am having is that now I am starting to wonder if I should still go threw with it I seem to be doing well on my own??

Hey Gunner,

This is just me but I've dieted successfully in the past. The issue for me isn't losing weight but the fact that eventually I gained it all back plus another 10% for good measure until I went from overweight to morbidly obese. That is the main reason that I got banded, to keep the weight off that I lose.

Ultimately only you can know what is good for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hey Rman and Gunner I too freaked out when I was finally approved for the band. I was really trying hard to be good, but then I would convince myself to go ahead and eat cause I won't be able to do it later. I lost 2 lbs in four weeks. But once I had surgery I was good as gold and didn't cheat once. I'm now down 19 lbs since my 2 day pre op diet.

Gunner - Back in 2005 I was approved for Gastric Bypass but not the lap band. I was really disappointed and decided I wasn't going to let a denial get me down. I lost 40 lbs, took me about 9 months and kept it off for about a year. Slowly started gaining it back until I had gained all but 10 lbs back. I have never had a difficult time losing weight, just keeping it off.

I also had "Last Supper Syndrome." In fact I drove myself so nuts with it, trying to figure out what I was going to eat that I thought I would never be able to eat again (so silly) that I put myself on the preop diet a day early. I simply had to stop the madness.

I went and got it all out of my system...2 days when I had a 'Final Farewell To Food". pizza, subs, chinese..you name it. I knew I wouldn't be doing that again so made that an event and a definite point where I can look back and say that was the date I separated from all the 'stuff'. I 'got it out of my system'. Funny...when I weighed on the day I was to see the Dr, I was heavier. But when I weighed in the office a few days later after behaving myself, the weight hadn't changed from the previous visit. Nevertheless, I think you have time when you can take 1 day and get it out of your system once and for all!

Okay, i have to find out if anyone else has felt this way. I waited and waited to get approved for my lapband(5 months process). I finally got the call your approved, surgery is June 22nd. Okay Fantastic!! But since ive gotten that call I have gained 5lbs. My preop liquid diet starts on June 8th and I can't even get my head prepared now. Why can't i control what im putting in my mouth. I am acting like the 2 weeks before my preop is a free for all to gorge on food. I feel miserable. I would love to get my head in order so I can lose at least 5 lbs before i start my liquid diet which i dont think is unreasonable. I need to feel like I have some sense of control before I begin this journey. Why am I not more excited. CONFUSED

I know exactly how you feel belive me I do. I am going in for surgery on June 11th and Like you I had gained weight from when I first went in to see the dr (march) till my visit where they go over all your pre op test (May 13th , my birthday) I gained 9 pounds and I felt like such an idiot. You would of thought that from the time I knew I wanted the surgery till the surgery I woul dhave started watching my weight , no not me I ate more than ever i couldnt control myself. My wife even said to me one night that I shouldnt get the surgery because she said if you cant control yourself now how are you going to do it after the surgery and I didnt have a answer for her. Than My mom who was very supportive of the whole surgery thing said to me one day I see you are eating alot do you think this surgery is rerally for you maybe you should cancel the surgery. To make a long story short my doctor put me on the pre op diet on May 17th and I wasent aware of this till may 14th, I was shocked I only though the pre op diet was suppose to be 2 weeks. Anyway Since i started the pre op diet Ihave lost 20 lbs and yes it was hard the first 4-5 days but after that you dont even feel hugry anymore.

So my point is dont worry about gaining a little weight and starting to diet before hand when the times comes to do it you will do it if you want it that bad. I did. If you would have asked me 3 months ago if i could do a diiet like that i would have said no way but the fact of the matter is I want this really bad and I will do whatever it takes to achive this and I know you will too so dont be so hard on yourself and good luck with the surgery and teh pre op diet believ me its not that bad the first 4 days suck and than its really easy