Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My very first PB! To fill or not to fill?

:eek: Over the weekend I had my very first PB. I feel like I've graduated to a true bandster. I took a bite of pizza and started laughing at something and accidentally swallowed and I knew right away I was headed for trouble. My mom who had gastric bypass 6 years ago FREAKED OUT when I first got the food stuck because she thought stuck = stays there forever until you go to the ER and have it removed. Then she freaked out when it all came back! I thought it was hilarious, she thought it was terrifying. You have to have some humor about these things.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether or not I should get a fill. I had my last fill 4 weeks ago and I'm scheduled for another on Wednesday. I've lost 4 lbs since the last fill. I get full on some things, not others. I never pb'ed before until over the weekend. :sad: I'm kind of scared to get one. I have 3.5 cc's in a realize band, I'm thinking I might get another .5 added Wednesday. Any opinions?

I would get your fill. Obviously the PB incident was an accident. You knew the bite you swallowed was too big, things like that are going to happen. Under normal circumstances it wouldn't of happened. So I say go for it!

Well you PB'd because 1. you are eating doughy bread stuff (I know; I love pizza, but not a good choice for weight loss!) and 2. you didn't chew well.

The point of restriction is that you chew well, eat small bites, get full on a small amt and stay full long.

Honestly since you scarfed down a bit of pizza and it came up...that's not shocking.

Only you and your doc can decide if you need a fill or not but I don't think the "pizza incident" (LOL) is a good indicator. Can you eat lean meats and poultry and fish? If you have 3-4 oz of say, chicken, chew it well, do you get full or can you (and do you) eat more? And are you happy where you're at or do you think you are eating too much?

Those are the things you should use to judge, IMHO!

The PB wasn't because your band is too tight... you already know what caused it. In the end, you need the fill so long as you aren't at your sweet spot. I've had a couple of PBs now and both were my fault...eating too fast. And I've had a couple of fills since the first one happened.

Admittedly it wasn't a good choice I know! I'm still trying to get my dad to understand that just because it has cheese or meat on it doesn't mean it's healthy! And since I'm a college student with no job and no money I eat what my parents feed me. LOL I can eat pretty much any lean meat and I've never actually had a problem with bread or Pasta as long as it's chewed well. Of course I eat less of all that then I did pre banding. I think I'm getting really close to the sweet spot, finally! Thanks for the advice!

I love Pizza! But I'm finally at the point where I can't eat enough of it to get good nutrition (like pizza ever is good nutrition! LOL) And since the band is for life...I can't imagine NEVER eating Pizza again. Just remember to chew it well! :eek:

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Would he consider THIN CRUST pizza? I can eat a little pizza if it's the thin crust. My 20 year old granddaughter lives with me and she complained about the first one but now she loves the thin crust too. So maybe your dad would make that concession for you?

Would he consider THIN CRUST pizza? I can eat a little pizza if it's the thin crust. My 20 year old granddaughter lives with me and she complained about the first one but now she loves the thin crust too. So maybe your dad would make that concession for you?

The local pizza place really only makes thin crust so it's fine. My dad means well, he really does, but like today I told him to pick up some chicken breast at the grocery store so I could grill it for dinner, he comes home with KFC grilled chicken and said it's chicken so it's healthy. He's also 5'6 140lbs soaking wet. He can eat ANYTHING and never gains a pound, he thinks everyone else should be the same way. My mom and I are always like this: :eek:

I hate it when someone says, "you shouldn't be eating bread", "you shouldn't be eating potatos", etc. etc. etc.

If you can get it down, go for it. I may only be able to get half a piece of pizza down now, but that makes me want to enjoy my food more.

I don't eat very much anymore so I damn sure goint to enjoy what I'm eating.

we had a BBQ with my folks last night, and I had a hamburger, on a bun, GASP!!! I;m sure the band nazi and shocked. I ate slow and chewed really well and no problem, well didn't exaclly go slide right down but I didn't get stuck either. I was as satisfied as I was in the old days when I would have eatn 5 hamburgers.

So to any band nazi that tells you, you can't eat rice, bread, tell them to go to hell.

I can't eat everything I used to love to eat, but I'm ok with that. Some stuff is just to big a pain in the ass to try to eat.

Sorry to ramble, but I hate the "you shouldn't..." band nazis. If your band in adjusted right, eath whatever you will enjoy, cause you won't be able to eat much.

If you are wondering if you need a fill, you need a fill. I was in bandster limbo trying to get some restriction. I had six or seven fills before I got any. I thought for months, is this what I;m supposed to be feeling, is this restricion. Trust me, when you get there you will know.

brian

Brian...If you think I'm the band Nazi, well right back at ya! :eek: No name calling please. (If you didn't mean me, then never mind! LOL)

The point I was trying to make is that with the band it becomes more important to try to choose healthy stuff (quality over quantity) not that anyone will go to Hell for eating pizza. Obviously I didn't get up to 405 by eating carrots and sprouts all day.

I got the band because I want to eat "normally" like other people. Most people I know don't eat only carrots and sprouts all the time either. But for most of us, we have to think and choose. I was told that the band will work if I make healthy choices. I don't know what your doc told you. I am a firm believer as I said that to think you'll NEVER have pizza again (assuming you like it in the first place) is assinine. Most of us can't consistently eat pizza and lose, however. If you can then more power to you and I mean that with all my heart! Lucky you!

I've eaten a hamburger (or at least part of one) post banding, too. And I haven't lost that well, as you can see from my stats.

The bottom line is I think we all have to work the band the best way we see fit.

well you can always enjoy pizza without the bread!

The thing about not being in control of selecting your own food is really hard with the band. You can try educating your parents that you must eat a certain way or else you could posibly damage the band. If you get stuck often it could cause the band to slip and everything backfires after that.

For instance, if all they brought home was soda- for sure you couldn't drink that- so you would have to tell them you couldn't have that.

I can't imagine they don't want to support you by purchasing things you request on a list.

Stephanie- How is your mom doing with her gastric bypass compared to your band? Is she still in the losing phase? Thats funny that she thought you were stuck for life LOL. That just goes to show that most people just don't understand the band yet.

Just banded : Yeah they do get what I want off a list sometimes but the problem is I need to be taught to cook it. LOL Other times my dad just goes grocery shopping without telling anyone.

Jenzea: My mom had her bypass in '03 and lost something like 180 lbs and she's gained 20 back which our surgeon says is normal but she's freaking out about it. She wants a lapband now. She doesn't understand the band at all. She freaks out about EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth that a bypass patient can't have but a banded one can in moderation.

Does your mom still feel restriction? Do you think her tummy stretched out or is she choosing not that great of foods? Is it possible for her to be banded after a gastric?

She stretched the pouch out AND she eats nothing but chips, Cookies, chocolate, etc, then gets dumping syndrome and complains about feeling like crap. Apparently some big university hospitals are banding bypass patients, our surgeon doesn't.