Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on 4/03/09 and have lost around 38 lbs. I've only had 1 fill on 5/05/09 and I don't feel much restriction and seem to be losing. Does anyone think that I could have 1/2 of a hamburger with the bun and not get sick on the burger? I've had hambuger taco meat but not a burger and I'm craving a burger!

Why not????

Once you are on solids you should be able to eat most foods. Of course this early on you have to take each new food extra slow until you learn what works for you. Take tiny bites and chew well and wait between bites to see how well it goes down.

I can tolerate burgers just fine as long as I chew well. And putting ketchup and/or mayo on top helps it go down easier. I put a patty on a plate with a little shredded lettuce, diced Tomato, ketchup...all my favorite toppings--then eat it with a fork and knife.

Edited by Jodi_620

I usually stay away from the bun because the bread doesnt agree with me... once i was allowed to eat solids I totally went and made a burger with ketchup and mustard.... it was divine!!!

so long as you can tolerate it and you dont overdo your fat intake for that day I dont see a problem with it personally.

oh and WTG on 38lbs down. I was banded 5 days after you and have plateaued at 24lbs. I dont get my first fill until Wed.

I've had just one fill too. Honestly, if you really really want the bun I think you'll just have to try it and see how it goes. It all seems to vary so much from person to person as to what is tolerated and what isn't.

I've had burgers, but I haven't had a bun - I've always preferred the meat over the bun anyway so I'm a happy camper to eat a burger with a fork. I have tried bread a couple of times and had no problems, BUT again it really varies. If you try it just take it slow.

Thanks for the encouragement on the weight loss. I was on a 2 week preop diet and around 15lbs came off before the surgery and the rest after surgery.

I eat hamburger all the time, it's one of my go-to foods. I typically don't eat the bun, or maybe just a bite or two. Just chew carefully as others have said.

Get used to the idea of throwing food away, that was tough for me because I hate to be wasteful. For lunch just now I ordered a half pound Angus burger with bacon, cheese, aioli sauce, lettuce, tomatoes on a grilled ciabatta roll with a side of garlic fries. I ate most of the burger, had a few bites of the bacon and bun, and 2 or 3 fries. I'm full, satisfied and just threw the rest away. After I was done, the box felt like it weighed about as much as when I first got it. :cursing:

I make turkey burgers. I usually use around 2-3 oz of ground turkey. I add a slice of cheese, some sauteed onions and a lot of ketchup and I'm good to go.

Ground beef is my friend! I have had both hamburgers and turkey burgers but NO BUNS!!!!!!!!!!! they are totally delish! Good luck!

Hi Everyone!! I laughed when I started reading this thred and it seems quite a few crave a hamburger, why is that?? I was banded 3 days ago (June 4) and I have this overwhelming craving for, yep you guessed it, a HAMBURGER!!! LoL!! So bad that my son had left hamburger Buns on the counter and I had to hide them! That so far has been the only food that I have seen that has really challenged me. The funniest part is that I'm not craving the bun, just the hamburger! I'm doing ok otherwise, still in liquid diet until tomorrow, then start the mushy stage, I'm looking forward to some creamy soup! Good luck to everyone, thank you for all of your posts!!

Yep... hamburger is one meat that I can tolerate. No bun for me either and let me tell you - I tried fries a couple of times and they are now on my list of foods that I can look at and smell, but don't want to try again!! Maybe someday, but it's ok if french fries are not a part of my life. I love my band and my hamburgers too!! Take care. Becky

Hey Miss, how did you add the weight loss tracker thing?

can she toast the bun? maybe it would go down better?