Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB = productive burp. Usually happens when you eat too big a bite or don't chew your food well enough (or both). It gets stuck in your esophagus and feels like a rock, worst "stuck" feeling you'll ever experience. Then you start producing a lot of saliva (to ease it coming back up) and you will regurgitate the food. It's not vomiting because the food never makes it to your stomach so it doesn't have any stomach acid mixed in. It's just the bite that got stuck. I read a post once where the man thought he'd had projectile vomiting because the bite does come back up with some force. But the other difference between a PB and vomiting is that it ends with the bite coming back. You will likely continue to "slime" (lots of saliva) for a little while (for me it was about 20 minutes), but afterwards, all is well.

Oh I know this one!!! PB stands for productive burp. When you have good restriction, food either goes down or comes back up. If you take big bites, don't chew enough, or eat too fast, the food that you just swallowed might not go down - it can't. So you get the feeling you need to burp. When you do burp, the food comes back up, usually with lots of saliva. Sometimes it just happens one time and it is over, but sometimes it takes quite a while, and these "burps" keep bringing the food up. I don't think it is like throwing up because the food never really makes it into your stomach - it is not acidy - just the food. It sounds so gross, and it isn't fun, but it is not as bad as vomiting (to me). This can also happen if you eat foods that don't agree with you and your band. For me, dry meat, white bread or Pasta, and rice are a few things that I just don't eat anymore. I also have days/times when my band is REALLY tight. If it is, I can PB with foods that I otherwise have no problems with. Sound confusing??? It is!! PBing at home is one thing, but PBing when you are out is another. Like everything else with the band, you learn what to eat and what not to eat, and how to handle it when you do have to PB. Wow. Gross but true :laugh:. I just consider my PBs as little speed bumps in the road to the new me. Good luck to you!!! Becky

PB stands for Productive Burp, it is a polite way to say throwing up. It is generally caused by eating too fast, eating too much, not chewing enough, "your band" doesn't like what your're eating, or you are "too tight". I hope this helps :thumbup::laugh:

Cathy. What is that saying??.... Brilliant minds think alike :laugh: I keep posting and then read your posts. Sounds like we are certainly on the same path. I enjoy reading your posts. Becky

MissBS, you said it better then I did. We must of been writing at the same time. Go with MissBS answer she said it waaay better!

Oh I know this one!!! PB stands for productive burp. When you have good restriction, food either goes down or comes back up. If you take big bites, don't chew enough, or eat too fast, the food that you just swallowed might not go down - it can't. So you get the feeling you need to burp. When you do burp, the food comes back up, usually with lots of saliva. Sometimes it just happens one time and it is over, but sometimes it takes quite a while, and these "burps" keep bringing the food up. I don't think it is like throwing up because the food never really makes it into your stomach - it is not acidy - just the food. It sounds so gross, and it isn't fun, but it is not as bad as vomiting (to me). This can also happen if you eat foods that don't agree with you and your band. For me, dry meat, white bread or Pasta, and rice are a few things that I just don't eat anymore. I also have days/times when my band is REALLY tight. If it is, I can PB with foods that I otherwise have no problems with. Sound confusing??? It is!! PBing at home is one thing, but PBing when you are out is another. Like everything else with the band, you learn what to eat and what not to eat, and how to handle it when you do have to PB. Wow. Gross but true :laugh:. I just consider my PBs as little speed bumps in the road to the new me. Good luck to you!!! Becky

I have never burped when I have had food stuck. I always have to go to extreme measures over the sink or toilet hitting my chest and gagging to get it up and it takes awhile to all come up. I'm thankful it doesn't happen very often!!

I have never burped when I have had food stuck. I always have to go to extreme measures over the sink or toilet hitting my chest and gagging to get it up and it takes awhile to all come up. I'm thankful it doesn't happen very often!!

you might want to try the yoga position called "doggie downward" next time. for me, it worked in 30 seconds.

here's a link to a pic of the position:

http://perusals.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/downward-facing-dog_enlarged1.jpg

you might want to try the yoga position called "doggie downward" next time. for me, it worked in 30 seconds.

here's a link to a pic of the position:

http://perusals.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/downward-facing-dog_enlarged1.jpg

Oh, I have tried it among other tips I have read on the board!!

:confused:So when the Dr warns of throwing up too much is he talking about PBing? What is too much. Is it only throwing up if stomach acid is involved? I PB almost every day. I had my band installed March 20th 2009 it is now June 24th 2009 and I have lost 84 pounds. I have so many questions. What is normal. How do I know if I have slippage or have streached my pouch....How much food am I suposed to able to eat? am I loosing weight fast enough? Can I loose it faster? What about extra skin?

Oh by the way I need to update my signature. Also how do I attach my ticker from the ticker making website?

:confused:So when the Dr warns of throwing up too much is he talking about PBing? What is too much. Is it only throwing up if stomach acid is involved? I PB almost every day. I had my band installed March 20th 2009 it is now June 24th 2009 and I have lost 84 pounds. I have so many questions. What is normal. How do I know if I have slippage or have streached my pouch....How much food am I suposed to able to eat? am I loosing weight fast enough? Can I loose it faster? What about extra skin?

Oh by the way I need to update my signature. Also how do I attach my ticker from the ticker making website?

What does your Dr. say about the daily PBing. I don't think it's normal nor is it a good thing to do. Whether it has caused any damage, you would have to get the Dr. to check you out. It sounds like you may be too tight. As far as weight loss goes, that's a tremendous amt in 3 months so I would definitely say you have lost enough. Hopefully, you are healthy and all is well!! Congrats on the loss. See your Dr.

i went for my 3rd fill (or what i thought would be my 3rd fill) last friday. but because i've been PB-ing twice a week since my 2nd fill, my doc would not give me a fill. he said i *must* learn to slow down, and chew better. i told him i'm not vomiting, and he said that did not matter --- because a PB, a vomit, or getting stuck can ALL cause a band slippage.

so since friday, i have really slowed down and not rushed through my meals, and not eaten when i am stressed. and guess what --- i have not had 1 PB since friday !

Hello all. I was banded on 6/24/09, and have moved on to soft foods last week, but I think I may be eating too fast because the "PB" has happened to me several times - although not every day. Maybe 3 times. I'm scared because I don't want my band to slip. Thanks for all the advice... Obviously, I have not even had my first fill yet- but I'm going to really slow down my eating because I know there is some healing time, but it's just not normal.