Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in Conway!

Guest lauren98

Im in Pine Bluff and havent had the lap band surgery. Im just in the process of finding out about it now. 18 years ago I had a gastric bypass and I lost down from 265 to 98 lbs. The surgery went perfectly and I lost what I needed to but when I got pregnant with my son shortly after, i guess the pouch stretched and I gained all my weight back. Now Im wanting to try lap band, but I have no insurance. Does anyone know of any medical clinic in Arkansas that offers financing or has an experimental program for this type of procedure? I have to do something soon.. Im only 48 and had a heart attack 3 years ago and have high blood pressure. If I dont get this weight off, Im afraid the same thing may happen again!!

Lauren Moore

Hey Arkies,

I went for my appointment with Dr. Wellborn today. When some of ya'll went to see him did you visit with a nutritionist during your visit? I only saw him and a watched a video, no nutritionist. I also was disappointed that I didn't get scheduled during my visit. They told me that Suzan does the scheduling and they guessed she'd get back with me. I live in Camden and I can't keep running back and forth for visits, so if I was supposed to see the nutritionist then I guess we can just talk over the phone. I e-mailed Suzan tonight to ask her when I could be scheduled, also Dr. Wellborn wanted me to get my gallbladder ultrasounded and I didn't know if he would order it or if I would need my Dr. to order it. What do ya'll think?

Thanks,

Sunshine

When I went to see Dr. Wellborn I didn't meet with a nutritionist either. There was some information as to what type of food to eat when, after the surgery, but I didn't speak with anyone. I don't know about the gallbladder thing because I lost mine years ago, but if you have any questions, PLEASE call the doc's office and ask! They are pretty good to get back with you soon and, since they deal with this everyday, they are the experts. Good luck on your journey to health! My thoughts and prayers are with you as you get on the "band" wagon!!! Terri

Guest clynn

Good to hear from all you AR bandsters. I am from Camden and I had my lapband in Feb of this year and have lost 51lbs. Dr. Wellborn also performed by surgery and I am quite pleased with the results, however the weight loss is slow now. I have about 30 more lbs to go. I am thinking about joining a gym and see if excerise will kick start my weight loss again. Has any of you guys tried this route? I agree with a reunion. Getting together will fellow Arkansas bandsters would really benefit all of us.

Hello Fellow Arkansans!

I believe Dr. Wellborn is an excellent doctor and he knows how to do a fill, and I think he is probably the most experienced in Arkansas but he and his wife Suzanne (the office manager) have a very bad attitude towards patients who were banded elsewhere (Mexico in particular). I am Mexican banded and needed a local doc to care for me. He did the fill for me and did a good job I believe but it was after I received a lecture about how American docs don't appreciate us going to Mexico for our surgery and his wife Suzanne had stopped me in the hall when she found out I was banded in Mexico and said she didn't know how I'd "slipped through" but I needed to know they charged Mexican banded patients $750 for their first fill and $500 a fill thereafter. I was in tears by the time I was in the procedure room. They made me feel like a "bad child". Anyway, I was in and out in 15 minutes and they had my check for $700 in their hands. Pretty good rate, huh? Anyway, my point is that unless Dr. Wellborn actually did your surgery he is not going to be the friendliest follow up doc in the world, and if you were banded in Mexico you will feel the hostility towards you in his office.

Arkie Bansters,

I got some really upsetting news today from Dr. Wellborn's office. They heard from my insurance and it has been denied. Not "medically necessary". I called my fellow Camdenite that has the same insurance that I have, and she told me to FIGHT, FIGHT and Fight. My husband told me that we will find a way to go self-pay if we have to, so I can be happy with myself again. He's such a sweetheart. I was just wondering if any of you were denied and what did you do?

I'm calling my insurance tomorrow morning and asking them how my co-worker can be approved and me denied. Any advice?

Absolutely keep fighting!! Call the insurance company and ask them for the reason you were denied--the SPECIFIC reason. It may just be that some records or test results did not get included. Good luck and here's hoping we can induct you into the "Happy Band-sters" very soon. Terri

Terri,

Well, I got approval last week on my insurance. They went by my guessed weight from September and when I went to Dr. Wellborn I weighed 10 pounds heavier. With the old weight I didn't have a BMI of 40, but with the new weight I had exactly a 40. Now I'm scheduled to have surgery on Nov. 18th at 7:30am. I'm excited but kinda scared at the same time. Did you feel the same? Darla

Congratulations!!!!! Yes, I went from excited to scared to wondering if this was the right thing to excited (well you get the picture!) Just relax and plan for the future when you have your "little band-friend" and lose the weight. Just remember, the band is an aide, not the total answer. You have to do a lot of work, but always know that you are worth it!! Much luck! Terri

Fellow bandsters,

My surgery is on the 18th and I was wondering if any of you were put on a special diet by Dr. Wellborn before surgery? I e-mailed Cindy and she said that it wasn't necessary, but everything on this site says different. What did ya'll do? I'm planning on starting some Slim Fast shakes as Meal Replacements so I'll get used to the liquid diet, but I would like to eat the night before surgery. My husband and I are going up to Little Rock the night before and we planned on eating dinner somewhere nice. Would it be o.k. for me to drink a little margarita or beer the night before? I don't normally drink, but I won't be able to at all afterwards so I wondered if I could. Thanks for all of ya'lls help. Hopefully very soon I will be telling you about my weight loss goals being met. Darla

Just wondering about the chat? I am not sure I know how to use it. Doesn't seem to be anyone on or either I am just not doing it right.

I'm not sure if this is too late but I am a patient with Dr Wellborn also and he does not have you do a special diet unless he feels you need to lose a few pounds before surgery. I wouldn't have alcohol tho just because it thins the blood and could cause some unnecessary bleeding during or after surgery. You can eat what ever you wnat the night before but they suggest you eat soft foods or easy to digest. I on the other hand ate about 4 slices of pizza and a 2 ltr of Dr Pepper because I KNEW I would probably never ever be able to have either again. I go tomorrow to have my second fill. Kind of excited but I am fearful that perhaps my band has slipped or something becuase I've been nauseous for a couple weeks now worse when I get hungry but I haven't thrown up. but today I have had a pit feeling in my stomach all day. It feels like I've got a golf ball stuck in my chest. Good luck with your surgery and I hope that if you have already had it that it was successful and without complications.

Tisha

Darla, Dr Wellborn is an exceptional Dr. His staff is great although I've found that it's a tad more difficult than it used to be to get someone to answer the phones. If you want to email me directly you can at LvCnqursal@aol.com If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer them the best I can.

Tisha

Lizzie I have sent several people to Dr Wellborn for fills who have been done elsewhere and The charge for non surgical bandsters are 200 instead of the 100. I do not know why they charged you 750 but that doesn't sound like the Them at all. I am also a patient of Dr Wellborns. And I consider them family. They've never been rude to me or anything.

They set you up with a Nutritionist at the hospital. If you're using St Vin's Then they usually set up the appointment the day before surgery they run all your labs send you for Xrays and other stuff & take blood, Then you see the nutritionist there. Her name is Angela Moussa she is a doll but she's so thin that it almost makes you sick to your stomach to get nutrition advice from her. lol.

Tisha