Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much weight for Banding?

I sense on some posts that people think that the higher BMI's might be too much for a band? I've seen lots of people on here who have lost 100+ pounds so I am trying to keep you guys in my mind as inspiration. I am only 5'2" and 278 (OMG!). I am offically on Day 2 of my 3 month prep program and am required to loose atleast 15 pounds. I am wanting to loose around 135 pounds. I have been researching and reading these boards and others for like 2 years, so I know what I need to do and I know I CAN do it. I'm going in positive, but sometimes I wonder if i should do the bypass (which I REALLY REALLY do NOT want to do). After I researched the band, I just loved it and it felt right. I just hope my weight isn't too heave. Then, I keep reading the average of 50% of excess weight is the norm and that leaves me at around 200! I guess I just know I have to go the extra mile to surpass that average??? Anyway, I just thought this group would be a good place to start, since I am soon going to be a part of it!!! :blink:

JJ

Statistics are very important because they can establish patterns.

You as an individual will determine how you will do.

Some will succeed and other will not.

Personally I did not want someone to cut into me so the Lapband was the way for me to go.

What was helpful is my wife an I had the surgery at the same time. The Staff thought it was cute and we were put in the same room.

I cannot say the process was easy but only worth it. I no longer have sleep apnea and have not had to take diabetic medicine in well over a year. I no longer have to take pain pills for back and knees problems.

Good luck on your journey

I commend you for starting this journey and want to encourage you not to get discouraged. I started at 437 pre op and I am 5'7. 1 week after surgery i was down 29 lbs- 16 pre op 13 1 week post op.

For me the decision to do Lap Band was a given. I considered bypass about 5 years ago but then met too many people that had bad experiences and side effects. I knew my weight didnt get on in 1 day so I was willing to do something that would work with me making lifestyle changes and re-learn to eat correctly and exercise- so I opted not to get a quick fix- Although I do agree for some the bypass my be a better option-

Good luck on your journey!

I've had my band for almost 3 years and had 100 pounds to lose. I did great at first, down 75 pounds and then had a problem with my band and gained back almost 30. To be perfectly honest with you, if VSG had been as wide spread then as it is now I might well have chosen that instead. And if my band problems get worse I'm very likely to revise. The band is great in a lot of ways but some foods don't go down well and things don't always feel great when I eat. I definitely didn't want anything that affects my ability to absorb and process nutrients and the band was the best thing at the time. But in the long run I'm guessing VSG might be better. People who have it seem to love it.

Britt

i've seen a lot of members on this site with just as good if not better results than bypass patients...my friend is 6 weeks post op with her bypass and has lost 26 pounds...at my 6 week post op appointment i was at 37 pounds lost....we r the same height ... i started my journey at 296...she started hers at 293....so there u have it...its not a guarantee u will lose faster and more with the bypass...if u really work with the band...u can have the same if not better results...good luck with ur decision!!!!!!!

The studies show that lap band and bypass have have the same amount of weight loss at 5 years. The only difference is bypass is faster. I think I would also add, that unlike bypass and the sleeve, with lap band you "keep" all the nutrition you eat, so the band requires you to have more accountability about what goes into your mouth. With that said, all of the available options have their complications and set backs. I began my journey at 347, lost 20 preop, and 13 lbs since banding last week.

Good luck and make a choice that is best for you.

I agree with what the others have said. I am 5'7 and started my journey at 377 lbs. I know i have a long road ahead of me. I am down about 47 lbs. now since May 26,09 (a lil' over 2 months) and I couldn't be happier. I was scared getting back into the gym again,but I've gotten nothing but "atta girls" from the people that go there and that makes it easier. Us bigger gals (and guys) have to work a lil' extra harder for extra longer,but in the end we are worth it!

The studies show that lap band and bypass have have the same amount of weight loss at 5 years. The only difference is bypass is faster. I think I would also add, that unlike bypass and the sleeve, with lap band you "keep" all the nutrition you eat, so the band requires you to have more accountability about what goes into your mouth. .

“The studies show that lap band and bypass have the same amount of weight loss at 5 years.”

There are no “the studies”. There are no large scale, indexed, quantifiable, qualifiable statistics to back this up. There some small/limited scale studies that indicate these results, but these are usually skewed/distorted on one level or another, and CANNOT be used to indicate the efficacy of ANY surgical procedure for Weight Loss. There is ONE organization that is presently making an effort to assemble large-scale statistic based upon STANDARDIZED data, but that will take years of collection and compilation to be able to be of any value.

The ONLY statistics that ANYONE actually needs to be concerned with are those of the Surgeon that you have chosen to perform YOUR procedure. That’s it. And you need to choose a Surgeon that can produce well-documented, accurate Statistics on the outcome of ALL of his/her WLS procedures. Do not even THINK of using a surgeon that won’t reveal their Stats.

“unlike bypass and the sleeve, with lap band you "keep" all the nutrition you eat”

Untrue. There is NO Malabsorbtion with the Sleeve. It is simply a restrictive procedure. Malabsorbtion is a primary component of the Gastric Bypass, but it is NOT present in the Sleeve.

As I have said many times before, it is NOT a “choice” between the procedures. It is selecting the CORRECT procedure for your unique physiology and emotional temperament. The procedures are all different, have different characteristics, and they are NOT, for the most part, successfully interchangeable. You will have SOME success with ANY of them, but if your true need is Malabsorbtion, and you choose restriction, then you will NOT be successful to the degree that you want to be. If all you need is restriction, then a Bypass would not be appropriate.

When you begin your research into a WLS you need to find a surgeon that will EXPLAIN all of this to you, and assist you in making the RIGHT choice. There are many, many failures among people that have WLS. A huge majority of them are because they chose the WRONG type of surgery for their particular situation.

HH

I was the same as you, I 5'4" but weighed 307 at the top of this, I had the surgery May 28th and it is worth it, it is lots of hard work but oh so worth it. I have just had my 2nd fill and my doctor says I am right where I should be, dont let anyone discourage you from doing what you feel is right.

I started at 405 and a BMI of 67 something. Since 5/7 when I finally hit my sweet spot I've lost about 47 pounds. All told I've lost just under 75. I'm really on a roll now that I have restriction. I think people who think the band is just for "smaller" obese people are not informed.

When I started I was 316 lbs. my doctor asked me what I wanted I told him the band and he said with the amout of weight I had to lose he would rather I do the bypass but it was my choice. I had the band put in 10/09 now 9 1/2 months since the band I am now 208 lbs. I have lost 107 lbs and only have 50 more to go. If you know you will work hard and listne to your band than i know it can be done. y doctor is very happy and impressed with what I have accomplished. You know your body and mind and what you can do. Good luck.

Rae

The studies show that lap band and bypass have have the same amount of weight loss at 5 years. The only difference is bypass is faster. I think I would also add, that unlike bypass and the sleeve, with lap band you "keep" all the nutrition you eat, so the band requires you to have more accountability about what goes into your mouth. With that said, all of the available options have their complications and set backs. I began my journey at 347, lost 20 preop, and 13 lbs since banding last week.

Good luck and make a choice that is best for you.

You "keep" all the nutrition that you eat with the SLEEVE too. You will probably want one when you get sick of your band.

I totally agree with HH. My surgeon at her seminar only showed her individual statics and success and not success. She did show a map of the obese percentages as released by a firm (I don't remember who) but that is all. Everyone's experience seems to be different and yours will be too. To me, it seems that it isn't even about what you put into it or don't put into it. Your own physical makeup, medical history, genetics and stubborness will decide the experience for you. I plan to put everything I have into it and I have so far. I don't know what the future holds but I have given myself a good shot at it and I want the best outcome obviously. If down the road I have problems I will have to face them when I get there.

I totally agree with HH. My surgeon at her seminar only showed her individual statics and success and not success. She did show a map of the obese percentages as released by a firm (I don't remember who) but that is all. Everyone's experience seems to be different and yours will be too. To me, it seems that it isn't even about what you put into it or don't put into it. Your own physical makeup, medical history, genetics and stubborness will decide the experience for you. I plan to put everything I have into it and I have so far. I don't know what the future holds but I have given myself a good shot at it and I want the best outcome obviously. If down the road I have problems I will have to face them when I get there.

I have been banded for a year on the 4th of this month. I have to agree with greytz. I will deal with any problems I may face due to my band when and if I get there. I am very happy with my decision thus far. If I didn't have the surgery I would have delt with some type of health problem due to my weight and even early death. So this seems like a good trade off to me.I weighed 305 at my highest and 299 the day I started my pre-op diet.I have lost 95lbs so far and want to lose another 40 or so. This has been a journey but not as difficult as I thought it would be. I have struggled here and there with food cravings and probably always will. It does take very hard work and you have to be willing to do that work. It is not an easy fix for any of the weight loss surgeries. They all require hard work and dedication for the rest of your life. My sister had gastric bypass and is doing very well with her choice. She is 1yr and 3 months out and at her her goal weight. I recommend this to anyone who is willing to do the work. I love my band!!!! Good luck!