Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you guys have second thoughts before surgery?

My surgery got rescheduled from April 7th to April 21st due to sinus infection. I am still dealing with it eventhough I am taking antibiotic, prednisone, singulair, Zyrtec and nose spray (I think it is called nasalcort).

The closer the date it gets the more nervous I am. I am excited to start my new life but also scared eventhough I have had 3 c-sections but this time it is an elective surgery.

Do you guys feels like that?

Thanks,

woohoo you can be a band twin w/me that's my surgery date! I am excited about the process but completely understand where you are coming from. I had the exact conversation w/my husband the other night. I have had my tonsils out, a procedure on my uterus, a d&c and a gallbladder removal all done w/o much panic because they were "have to" not want to. I dont have much to offer really, I have prayed my way through every step and feel like it's what I should be doing. Good luck w/your surgery I can't wait to compare notes on the other side!

Yes totaly felt that way a few days before surgery I was seriously reconsidering but it's been a long haul. The Dr. even gives you a chance to not do right before you get wheeled into surgery. And I was really wondering if I did the right thing the couple days after my surgery. Now I'm sure it's right. Feel good not hurting much at all I'm doing some things around the house funny thing is I'm cooking for others and I almost want to pick like I would have before but tell myslef - self don't grab that little sliver of really browned ham off the skillet that was to small to serve. It's a good thing and I'm happy I continued down the road.

Edited by JayTee562

I am very nervous and have second thoughts all day long. I too am having surgery April 21st! I have thought the same thing... this is an elective surgery and I'm so scared! I've never had a major surgery, just had my tonsils taken out 3 years ago, but that's it. I just keep trying to stay positive because this is what I want but for the past 2 weeks its all I can think about and it has caused a lot of stress for me! So, I know where your coming from.

I am currently having major second thoughts. I'm due to have my banding done on the 23rd. Most people posting appear to have had a pretty good recovery after surgery but it has not been such a fun ride for my partner who was banded on the 9th April. She did ok for the first day or two (and only nights were difficult) but now she is experiencing extreme bloating and had not been able to keep anything (not even water) down for two days from the nausea and heaving. We saw her surgeon today who checked everything out and reassured her that everything is ok with the band and that the gas problem would eventually pass (when pressed for how long - he replied it varied across people). Lisa is apparently an "air-swallower" (evidenced by the fact that she did a lot of burping before the procedure). It is harder to burp once the band is in and it is this that is causing her extreme discomfort. Our surgeon (who is wonderful) gave her a couple of shots and she managed to keep Water down again and now she is having a sleep. I have everything crossed (even my eyes!) that she'll be feeling better after a sleep.

Thinwithin & chelle06- we can be band buddies whoo whoo (if they don't reschedule me again)

chelle06 & Pharmagirl - That is exactly how I feel too. I have many surgeries before but it the stuff that had to be done. I am still nervous and thinking about it everyday. I just hope and pray that everything will go smoothly for me and for everyone.

I think we need to stick together and courage each other. I'll be checking on you and see how it went.

BTW, which state are you guys in? I am from TN and Dr. Spaw is my surgeon.

Good luck to you all.

Edited by tcbgirl
Add a question.

I think it's normal to have second thoughts.... WhyamIdoingthisdoesthismakemealoserdoesthismeanimweakdoes ICOULDDIE!isitworththat?!?whatisitworthwhydidispendsomuchmoneywhyamidoingthis....

I had second thoughts right before they wheeled me off to surgery...then when I woke up and felt like someone took a spoon and stirred my insides up!!! Morphine to the rescue! :blink:

Today I feel wonderful and I cannot believe it took me so long to decide to do this. I'm so looking forward to my new life!

I wouldn't say I'm having second thoughts, but I am starting to freak-out a bit. I'm not so much scared about the surgery as I am about how m life is going to change after and whether or not I'll be able to pull it off.

I had surgery on 4/13/09 and today I am feeling alot better. Yes gas and bloating but a bit less everyday........the first few days after surgery I wondered.............but today I am feeling like this was a great decision. The diet and lifestyle changes are gonna be harder than the surgery I am sure.............

I debated for the two weeks leading up to the sugery!! I think it is 100% normal!!

Like a lot of people here, I had 2nd thoughts right up until surgery (4/1/09)...especially week leading up to it. Because I was on the 2 week pre-op Optifast diet and weight was falling off I began to think "I don't need surgery, I can do this on my own!" Then I came to the realization that I can't live on Optifast forever and I haven't been able to lose weight and keep it off on my own ever so why could I now? For me, the surgery was a piece of cake. I never needed pain killers or anything. I have no regrets about the surgery. When I woke up from surgery the 1st thing the nurse said to me was "You've done a great thing! You're healthy and this is going to make you even healthier". That positive reinforcement was exactly what I needed and I haven't regretted it yet. I think it's normal to 2nd guess yourself though.

tcbgirl - It would be great to keep in touch and support each other during our journey with the whole procedure! I am in Oklahoma but am having the surgery with Dr. Kureshi in Denison, TX. It's almost here!!

Thinwithin & chelle06- we can be band buddies whoo whoo (if they don't reschedule me again)

chelle06 & Pharmagirl - That is exactly how I feel too. I have many surgeries before but it the stuff that had to be done. I am still nervous and thinking about it everyday. I just hope and pray that everything will go smoothly for me and for everyone.

I think we need to stick together and courage each other. I'll be checking on you and see how it went.

BTW, which state are you guys in? I am from TN and Dr. Spaw is my surgeon.

Good luck to you all.

I had second thoughts right until I was wheeled in. I just kept reminding myself that "it's reversible" if there are ever problems vs the bypass. I'd think it would be normal to have 2nd thoughts; it's a pretty major step to be taking.

Don't sweat it guys - this surgery is probably more minor than having your tonsils out - the risk of blood clots is a lot less as they don't really cut much at all!