Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs. Realize band

I've had the Realize Band for 10 months and not had any problems. I have a friend with Lap Band and she's been having a great deal of slippage problems. I don't know if that's common with LapBand but the Realize is the newest out and it's a Johnson and Johnson product.

My Dr said kinda like Coke and Pepsi....

He also told me that his patience have been having fewer issues with realize bands and seem to hit their "sweet spot" sooner. But he uses both bands and both are good products. I'm a realizer, still on the soft food stage, but have not had any problems with my band to date.

I think the biggest difference in the two is the online support offered with the realize system (but I beleive lap-band is jumping on that bandwagon too). For me I let final decission up to my surgeon.

I looked at both devices at my initial consultation and I can't see any real visible difference. My surgeon said the realize band is big in Sweeden and is only recently FDA approved. My surgeon hadn't went for his training on the realize band yet but is planning to.

I think the differences dont' really hvae to do with the device itself, but more with the support. Also, the surgery methods may vary.

I'll be intersted to see what everyone has to say on this topic.

Realize band is a low pressure system and Lap-band is a high pressure system. I have no idea what difference it makes but J&J says that it means food doesn't get stuck as much and it's more comfortable. I have no idea how'd you prove that with clinical data though.

Realize band is softer and wider and has a bigger reservoir. It comes with a low profile port. The port has these little claw things that stick it to your muscle wall. There is also an option to sew it to the wall like the lap-band port. Some people like that and some think the lap-band seems "sturdier."

Lap-band comes pre-formed into a circle and the reservoir is pre-creased so it has these little pockets. The port is higher profile but a low-profile port is available as an option. Realize-C, the newest version of the Realize, also comes pre-formed in a circle, but without the creases.

In terms of weight loss and complications, the studies don't show a big difference. It's possible to find a study where one performs better than the other, but overall, taken all studies into account, they are essentially the same that way.

Happy Easter all!!! I am 4 days postop.... I had surgery on April 8th and got the new Realize Band 11cc. Anyone else out there have this band? How are you doing with it?

I used to have the lapband and it slipped and I just recently got it replaced with the realize band. One big difference I have noticed is that previously with the lapband I had some restriction after surgery and with the new realize band I feel absolutely no restriction at all. Anybody out there with the realize band feel any restriction before their first fill?

I guess what I feel is restriction, it's hard to say for sure. I'm still on soft foods, but I am not eating nearly as much as I would before.

I fix my meals on a baby plate, eat what's there and almost always feel satisfied ( I also eat with baby silverware). I think after doing full liquids for 8 days I have a new appreciation of what hungry really means and now I try to eat when I'm hungry not just when I want food.

I start incorporating solid foods back into my eating Friday and then get my 1st fill May 1. I guess I'll see how I'm feeling on solid foods, but so far I have noticed a pretty significant decrease in what I eat.

As far as differences with the two brands of bands, my Dr had both in his office for me to the "inspect and play with" Realize band is much wider and not as rigid when empty as the Lap-band brand, also has a smaller port, and "pillow like" chambers on the inside of the band for your fill Fluid. To be honset I don't remmeber if the Lap-band version had the pillow pockets or not.

I suppose I am probably comparing to when I actually had restriction with my previous band. I am sure I am eating less than I would if I had no band at all but I am just so hungry all the time. I guees the big change for me when I had my band before was that when I had good restriction my hunger went away and what I feel right now is some serious hunger and it is driving me crazy. I got used to the feeling of not being hungry and I miss it :smile:

I suppose I am probably comparing to when I actually had restriction with my previous band. I am sure I am eating less than I would if I had no band at all but I am just so hungry all the time. I guees the big change for me when I had my band before was that when I had good restriction my hunger went away and what I feel right now is some serious hunger and it is driving me crazy. I got used to the feeling of not being hungry and I miss it :smile:

Try to be patient, that feeling is coming back, but it's gonna take time. In the meantime, stay strong and just remember you have a leg up on the rest of us b/c you already KNOW how the band can work for you.

Actually I was one of those people that thought the band wasn't working for me. I had no idea this forum was here and if I did I probably wouldn't of beat myself up so much. I lost 20 lbs pre surgery and than I lost 26 lbs in the year and a half since the surgery. It was very slow, probably 1 lb every other week or so but it was consistent. After about a year I finally deceided that I was a slow looser and as long as I wasn't gaining it back than the band must be working for me. I know I would've never been able to keep the weight off if it wasn't for the band!

I was banded on 4/27/2009 with the new Realize Band 11cc. Since that date I have already been in to get 2 fills and don't feel any restriction. I told my surgeon that I am still hungry and don't notice any difference when I am eating. He informed me that sometimes they have to do several fills with the new realize band before you will be able to feel a difference. I believe I have lost about 14 lbs since my surgery. It's coming off really slow but at the same time since I don't neccesarily feel a restriction I am definitely eating more then I should. I am currently filled 4cc's and am going back in next week to get more. The surgeon said he didn't want to put more then 1cc in at a time because if he does too much too fast it could cause problems swallowing. All I know is I want the restriction, it's the reason I had surgery in the first place. Other then that everything is going good with it, no pain my scars are healing up great... I'm just ready to loose this weight!

I am at 5cc's in my new realize band now and I have very little restriction. I am trying to do this on willpower right now and it is very hard. My doctor said that with the patients he has done the realize band with, most are feeling good restriction around 6cc's so hopefully my next visit will give me good restriction.