Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 weeks preggo, with GD & Q's regarding the breastfeeding

Hi Lapband mommies~!

It has been a while since I started any new thread in LBT. I have some questions that I hoping the moms (or soon-to-be) in LBT could help answer for me.

Let me give you a little info about myself:

- I had the band surgery in May of 2008. I dropped about 30 lbs. I had type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure before the surgery. Three months after the surgery all my blood test came out norma. I also had a problem conceiving for about 2 years, my husband and I found out that this is due to PCOS. In October of 2008, I found out that I’m pregnant.

Right now I’m about 30 weeks. So far I have gained about 14 lbs through out my pregnancy. Around week 12, the Perinatal started me on a medicine called Macronese, the dosage went from 2 a day, to now, 7 a day. The Perinatal now said that if my sugar does not improve, he will have to put me on insulin. The problem with my sugar is that my fasting number will not go below 100.

I walk (waddle) about 30 mins (2 miles) each day. I merely eat any carbs, and still my number shows up high. I asked the doctor if I could go on a no-carb diet to help control my sugar lever. The doctor said no, baby needs carbs.

Now, I’m petrified of needles. Insulin to me sounds like a bad word. So many questions are going though my head right now. Will I be able to get off the insulin once I had the baby? Is there another way for me control my sugar without taking insulin? Would insulin effects my baby?

Also, how long would I have to wait after the delivery to go back and get the band fill. I’m completely unfill right now. Once I get the band fill, would that effect my ability to breastfeed?

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this. I will be looking forward to reading everyone’s response~!

Hi there. I'm so sorry that you're going through this right now. I don't know how much help I'll be because I don't have GD and I haven't given birth yet (I'm 35 weeks). However, I want to encourage you to do whatever is necessary (including the dreaded insulin shots) to make sure your sugars are in control. I am the daughter of a type 1, insulin-dependent diabetic. I was born 7 weeks premature, weighing 7+ lbs at delivery -- obviously I was a big baby and it was because my mom's sugar was out of control. In fact, for the last month or so of her pregnancy, I (as a fetus) made enough insulin for both of us. Mom and the doctor thought that was great -- she wasn't diabetic for that month. But it put a strain on me as a fetus and I firmly believe that the weight problems I have had all my life are due, in part, to my mother's out of control sugars. There is research regarding babies born to diabetics.

I'm not trying to scare you, and my story is extreme and to a certain degree irrelevant to what you're going through. I know that insulin shots are literally a pain, but you may have to do them. I agree that the baby needs carbs, and that a no-carb diet is not feasible. There are certain by-products of ketosis and weight loss that are not good for your baby. This is why they don't want pregnant mothers dieting per se.

The fact that you're concerned about this shows how much you love your baby. I hope things work out and that you're able to somehow avoid insulin shots. As for when you can get filled after delivery, that will depend on your doctor. My doctor doesn't have a hard and fast rule, but a lot of doctors out there have a minimum amount of time that they'll wait.

Take care and best to you!

I had GD with all 3 of my pregnancies. I was on insulin for 2, one was diet controlled. I was not given the option for the pills, My peri said insulin is a better choice, because it is easier to adjust the dose to manage blood sugar levals. I was scared to death at first, but its no worse than stabbing yourself all the time to check your blood sugar. There are no neg effects of insulin. I was told to think of it as giving your body a "boost" with how much insulin you need. My blood sugars returned to normal right after delivery adn haven't needed any insulin since.

HTH

In answer to your question, regarding breastfeeding with the band, I already have 2 kids after the band, which I did and am breastfeeding. It has no effect whatsoever. I don't eat much, but do take Vitamins, and if needed give my baby a bottle or foods to supplement.