Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

goal weight versus happy weight/body

i am not really sure which forum to post this is so if anyone thinks it should be somewhere else to get a better response, please let me know.

i have been thinking a lot lately about what i chose as my goal weight versus being at a weight/place that i am happy with my body and weight. i chose my goal weight because it was in the middle of the healthy bmi scale. no other reason then that. the plus was that weight seemed like it was good and small (for me). at the start of all this the thought that i would be happy at a weight different from that never crossed my mind. i had it set that i had to get to that weight and then i would be happy.

but now i find myself not to that goal, and relatively happy with myself. of course here lately i have been struggling and am about 10 pounds from where i was really happy. but you get the general idea.

so for those at goal or at a happy place, how did you know that was right for you? did you just wake up one day and that was it?

i am also wondering because i am struggling with when i am going to get my Tummy Tuck. again to start with my plan was no tummy tuck until i was at goal. but now i am kinda waivering on that as well. i THINK i would be happy at where i am now, if the nasty tummy was gone. but if not i am just screwed because i wont be able to afford another tummy tuck if i decide to lose more weight. so how do i know? (i am also gonna post this last paragraph in the cosmetic surgery forum. sorry for the repeat)

my sister in law tells me i need to get over the whole numbers on the scale thing. i know i should, but cant. why is that number so important to me? to me to means healthy. skinny. how do i adjust my way of thinking about that number on the scale?

Edited by want_so_bad
added more thoughts

Hi,

I set my goal using the exact same logic as you. Now I'm a little over 10 pounds from my goal and I am acutally pretty happy with my body right now. I started exercising and lost another size, even though I only lost a few pounds.

I'm now in a size 6 and I'm getting much more toned and fit, but I can't let go of that number. Doc says as far as he's concerened I'm at goal and everyone around me keeps telling me not to lose more, but I am obsessed with reaching that number.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help you, but I thought you might at least want to know you aren't alone.

As for the PS - you lost 35 pounds and need PS? Did you lose more before LB or something? I lost almost 80 pounds and although I would like PS, I probably will never have it. I don't have any overlapping skin or anything like that. Basically my birthday suit looks like stretched out panty hose. LOL

Didn't you discuss a goal weight with your doctor? During my initial office visit he discussed what I was considering and we discussed where I wanted to go and how to get there" and then he looked over several items and we, together, set a goal for me.

As for the PS - you lost 35 pounds and need PS? Did you lose more before LB or something? I lost almost 80 pounds and although I would like PS, I probably will never have it. I don't have any overlapping skin or anything like that. Basically my birthday suit looks like stretched out panty hose. LOL

honestly i could have used a Tummy Tuck BEFORE losing weight. i know 35 doesnt seem like much. at one point it was closer to 50. since my hysterectomy i have gained 15. but like i said, i could have used one before. my stomach HANGS like no other. i havent gotten to buy not even one size smaller pants because of the shape of it. that is very frustrating. my pants look horrible! my legs are so much thinner and toning up and i have no butt to speak of, so my pants are big and baggy. but to fit my belly, same size. i really have some overlapping skin issues!

Didn't you discuss a goal weight with your doctor? During my initial office visit he discussed what I was considering and we discussed where I wanted to go and how to get there" and then he looked over several items and we, together, set a goal for me.

no i dont think we ever did discuss a goal weight for me beyond me saying how much i wanted to lose. but i was self pay and went to Mexico, so that whole process is much less involved then in the states.

My doctor and I discussed it and he agreed with me in the beginning, but now as I fuss about struggling to lose the rest of the weight, he said "I think you are at a healthy weight and for me you are there, you are a success story."

He said I could get the rest of it off, but probably would have to "diet" it off and that the band had probably taken me as far as it was going to.

I'm still working on it, but it's very slow going. LOL

I totally understand wanting the TT. As for your butt, try some stairs. Mine was nearly gone from losing weight and I started walking the stairs at work. It did wonders for me!