Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I know if I have a blockage??

I ate some potatoe chips this afternoon and immediately felt sick. I pb'd several times and was feeling a little better. I tried to eat a little supper and immediately pb'd again. After several hours I felt better and hungary so I tried to have some Soup and you guessed it I started all over again. Currently I feel good...no pain or discomfort and no urge to pb or vomit. Do I have a blockage or have I just upset my band and need to give it a rest? I have been doing very well and hate to have trouble now.

I will never eat chips again.

Chill out and give your stomach a chance to calm down. If you can't even drink Water by tomorrow morning (and I was told to just do liquids for a day after a bad PB) then call your doc.

And never say never! chips are usually a slider; while they aren't the healthiest choice, you don't have to avoid them forever! :) Just for a few months, then try again if you want to.

Your stomach and esophagus are riled up from all the drama; let things settle a bit.

You probably just have stomach swelling from the first pb. This makes everything tighter and then you are more likely to keep pb'ing.

I would definitely suggest you go on liquids for a day or two and afterwards try a mushy before you try a solid. You have to give your stomach a rest.

One word of caution, if you already have a little swelling (it sounds like you do), if you keep testing what you can eat and keep eating and pb'ing . . . your swelling may get worse to the point that you need an emergency unfill. When that happens, it can take a long time before you may get refilled to your current level depending on how conservative your doctor happens to be.

Good luck, take it easy and you should be fine in no time. If it ever gets to the point where you can't ingest liquids, call your doc right away because you will need a very fast unfill.

Thanks a bunch for your advise. I am feeling better this morning and Water is going down fine. I will do liquids and take it easy for a couple of days.

I think I ate too many chips and probably too fast. I had my 3rd fill on March 4th and I have 9cc in a 14cc. This is the first time that I have had good restriction. So I have been learning what I can and can't eat. This was a learning experience.

Thanks again!

I have had a problem with chips as well especially tortillia chips. I have created alot of hell for my self with chips and wont eat them again. I got to where I couldnt eat and had to have my band unfilled completely to get fully recovered and I am just now getting it filled again. My fill doctor says he thinks I have first bite syndrome where I take too big of a bite when I first start eating. I have gained 8 pounds in about 2.5 months while I had my band unfilled. By the way if anyone is in my area, Boise Idaho, I have a great doctor named Luke Mayes.

PHolloway, I am also in Boise. I see Dr. Korn. I have not heard of first bite syndrome but I think I could have that problem myself. I try to eat small bites and eat slowly but I don't always have success. I feel like I am learning how to eat all over again.

How long have you had your band? I was banded on 11/25. I really didn't start losing weight until January when I had my first fill. I am losing at a good pace right now. I need to get back to the gym and I might start losing more.

Thanks for your comment. It is nice to see another Boiseian on here.