Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kissing the Band Bye-Bye! Yes!!!

I'll be celebrating the 3rd anniversary of being banded by getting ready to kiss it good-bye two days after that milestone. Like many of the others who can no longer tolerate living with the band, I am having a revision to the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) on 4/1/09.

Unlike many people seeking weight loss surgery, I have never been a normal weight. I managed to eat myself up to 440+ pounds, diet down to 195 pounds, and then regain to over 350 pounds. I was drawn to the band because it promised restriction. I already taught myself to eat healthy and was not a junk food eater. I could look at cake, Cookies, chips, ice-cream, etc, and not desire any of it. Put a loaf of hot, crusty bread and butter in front of me and I was in heaven. THAT I could not pass up and I could easily eat the entire loaf. The band was going to prevent me from being able to do that.

I was a model patient, did the pre-op diet, and went into surgery confident this was going to be the tool that would get me to a healthy weight. I suffer from arthritis and need two total knee replacements so this surgery would allow me to lose weight, walk without so much knee pain, and get me in shape for the eventual knee replacement surgery.

At 6 weeks post-op I was told I could get my first fill. I was hungry those first 6 weeks but I stuck to the post-op diet and was sure the fill would "do the trick" and allow me to feel the same restriction others were posting about. I felt that way after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th... fills. What I did get was heart burn and acid regurgitation. I was placed on Nexium and told everything was fine and to increase my exercise.

Fast forward to today and I am miserable. The heart burn and acid reflux have now become an everyday event and it's now becoming constant. I eat dinner, stop eating and drinking after dinner, and wait until after midnight to go to bed. Right next to my bed is a huge wedge pillow that basically elevates me to a relaxed sitting position. Sometimes I can get to sleep lying down like I used to but it doesn't last long. I am awakened choking on the acid reflux or feel the awful burning in my upper chest and quickly get myself into an upright position.

I did not fail the band. The band failed me. Because I "only" have heart burn and reflux, the two surgeons I consulted wanted to either place a new band, manipulate the present band, or convert me to a gastric bypass. I would have to start a lengthy paperwork of MD visits to "prove" to the insurance company that this is necessary. If I don't want to wait, the self pay price is $25,000. Unless I win the lottery tomorrow, that is not an option for me.

I had researched the various weight loss surgery options available and decided a VSG would be the right one for me. I never ever felt any restriction lasting more than 2-3 days so the 70 pounds I lost, and kept off, came from me dieting. I eat healthy but I eat too much and that means a restrictive surgery is what should work best for me. Iron deficiency anemia rules out me getting a gastric bypass. My knees are now considered "terminal" and total knee replacement surgery WILL need to be done soon.

I finally reached the point where I said, "enough is enough" and can no longer with the quality of life the band has afforded me. It's got to go. So, after doing extensive research, I'll be making my first trip to Mexico but it will be as a patient and not a vacationing tourist. LOL. Dr. Alberto Aceves was the standout front runner when it came to selecting a surgeon and he agreed to perform my surgery. I borrowed some money from my sister, saved some, and emptied my savings and will travel to Mexico on 3/31 for all the pre-op requirements. Surgery will take place on 4/1... April Fool's Day. However, the joke will be on the band and the winner will be me because THAT day will mark the beginning of a new and improved life for me.

Please keep me in your thoughts. I am traveling alone and nervous... a good nervous. I'm at peace with my decision and April 1 can't come quick enough.

Wow, I didn't realize you were having problems, Elisabeth.

Good luck with your sleeve. I think you are going to love it.

Thank you so much! I don't know if I should say I was having a lot of problems or if I should say I kept waiting for it to work. LOL. I do know having this inside me is no longer safe so the countdown to 4/1 begins....

Elisabeth,

I am glad you are finally getting some resolution to your problems. I am terribly sorry you've had to go through this. It just goes to show that the band is not for everyone. There are success stories, but also a lot of people who are unsuccessful for a host of reasons. I really believe that the VSG is the wave of the future and if I have any issues in the future with my band that cannot be easily rectified, DH and I already have a sleeve fund started so I can revise. There will be NO NEW BAND or 'repositioning.' The band, in all of its goodness, has a lot of problems. Once insurance cos. start consistently covering the VSG, the band will become obsolete in the US. My follow-up doc REFUSES to place bands anymore because he doesn't think they are worth the hassle.

On another note, it is terrifying to travel to MX alone, but I did it when I had my band placed, and I did just fine. I know you will too!

Congrats on a new path to healthy!

I am going alone too Elizabeth. I have to believe that it doesn't matter if I am alone because of all of the wonderful things I have heard about Dr. Aceves.

You, Susan, and me will all just be about a month apart.

I wish you the best, and April fools day is a good day!

It's my daughter and my dad's birthday!

kgloverii and oregon daisy,

THANK YOU! I am so eager to start my new life and finally feel like I have made the right choice. I'm another day closer. LOL.

More good new as that is where I plan to book soon as self pay also. I am in Ontario Canada and will borrow the money for the Sleeve to start my new journey back to living life. Keep me posted and best of luck! I will likely be going alone too but hear how great eveyone has made out with the process with Dr. Aceves and his staff. Can't wait! Wish it was tomorrow! Sure wish the Canadian dollar didn't for for **** so badly. ouch

I'll be celebrating the 3rd anniversary of being banded by getting ready to kiss it good-bye two days after that milestone. Like many of the others who can no longer tolerate living with the band, I am having a revision to the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) on 4/1/09.

Unlike many people seeking weight loss surgery, I have never been a normal weight. I managed to eat myself up to 440+ pounds, diet down to 195 pounds, and then regain to over 350 pounds. I was drawn to the band because it promised restriction. I already taught myself to eat healthy and was not a junk food eater. I could look at cake, Cookies, chips, ice-cream, etc, and not desire any of it. Put a loaf of hot, crusty bread and butter in front of me and I was in heaven. THAT I could not pass up and I could easily eat the entire loaf. The band was going to prevent me from being able to do that.

I was a model patient, did the pre-op diet, and went into surgery confident this was going to be the tool that would get me to a healthy weight. I suffer from arthritis and need two total knee replacements so this surgery would allow me to lose weight, walk without so much knee pain, and get me in shape for the eventual knee replacement surgery.

At 6 weeks post-op I was told I could get my first fill. I was hungry those first 6 weeks but I stuck to the post-op diet and was sure the fill would "do the trick" and allow me to feel the same restriction others were posting about. I felt that way after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th... fills. What I did get was heart burn and acid regurgitation. I was placed on Nexium and told everything was fine and to increase my exercise.

Fast forward to today and I am miserable. The heart burn and acid reflux have now become an everyday event and it's now becoming constant. I eat dinner, stop eating and drinking after dinner, and wait until after midnight to go to bed. Right next to my bed is a huge wedge pillow that basically elevates me to a relaxed sitting position. Sometimes I can get to sleep lying down like I used to but it doesn't last long. I am awakened choking on the acid reflux or feel the awful burning in my upper chest and quickly get myself into an upright position.

I did not fail the band. The band failed me. Because I "only" have heart burn and reflux, the two surgeons I consulted wanted to either place a new band, manipulate the present band, or convert me to a gastric bypass. I would have to start a lengthy paperwork of MD visits to "prove" to the insurance company that this is necessary. If I don't want to wait, the self pay price is $25,000. Unless I win the lottery tomorrow, that is not an option for me.

I had researched the various weight loss surgery options available and decided a VSG would be the right one for me. I never ever felt any restriction lasting more than 2-3 days so the 70 pounds I lost, and kept off, came from me dieting. I eat healthy but I eat too much and that means a restrictive surgery is what should work best for me. Iron deficiency anemia rules out me getting a gastric bypass. My knees are now considered "terminal" and total knee replacement surgery WILL need to be done soon.

I finally reached the point where I said, "enough is enough" and can no longer with the quality of life the band has afforded me. It's got to go. So, after doing extensive research, I'll be making my first trip to Mexico but it will be as a patient and not a vacationing tourist. LOL. Dr. Alberto Aceves was the standout front runner when it came to selecting a surgeon and he agreed to perform my surgery. I borrowed some money from my sister, saved some, and emptied my savings and will travel to Mexico on 3/31 for all the pre-op requirements. Surgery will take place on 4/1... April Fool's Day. However, the joke will be on the band and the winner will be me because THAT day will mark the beginning of a new and improved life for me.

Please keep me in your thoughts. I am traveling alone and nervous... a good nervous. I'm at peace with my decision and April 1 can't come quick enough.

I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your band, it sounds all too familiar.

I really think you'll like the sleeve. Great restriction, no maintenance, the works.

I also like your choice of surgeons. ;o)

I think you'll find that Dr. Aceves makes small, tight sleeves. I can eat 2oz of solid Protein - tops. I can eat about 4-5oz of soft foods. You already eat a quality diet so now you'll just eat less.

I like bread too, that's what got me fat. You just can't eat much bread with a sleeve but unlike a band if you do eat it you don't get stuck. You are merely limited in quantity. Severely limited!

I LOVE having a sleeve, HATED being banded. I think you'll find yourself saying the same thing in a year.

Elisabeth,

I am glad you are finally getting some resolution to your problems. I am terribly sorry you've had to go through this. It just goes to show that the band is not for everyone. There are success stories, but also a lot of people who are unsuccessful for a host of reasons. I really believe that the VSG is the wave of the future and if I have any issues in the future with my band that cannot be easily rectified, DH and I already have a sleeve fund started so I can revise. There will be NO NEW BAND or 'repositioning.' The band, in all of its goodness, has a lot of problems. Once insurance cos. start consistently covering the VSG, the band will become obsolete in the US. My follow-up doc REFUSES to place bands anymore because he doesn't think they are worth the hassle.

On another note, it is terrifying to travel to MX alone, but I did it when I had my band placed, and I did just fine. I know you will too!

Congrats on a new path to healthy!

I agree with you.

I think the cycle of banding is coming to an end. First they tried the mesh band and that didn't work. Then they tried a non adjustable band and that didn't work. Then they tried the small adjustable band and problems such as erosion, slips, reflux, spasms, esophageal damage continued to increase. Now they are trying the larger adjustable band and problems are still on the rise, it didn't work.

A few years ago people wanted bands and bypass. Today they want sleeves and DS. I agree that bands will be a thing of the past.

I'm still trying to find just 5 people banded 10 years or longer with an adjustable band. In 2.5 years I haven't met one yet. :)( We hear about all these people, we are told about them, Inamed has been selling adjustable bands for 18 years now. So where are all these old timer banded people?

My surgeons nurse's husband has been banded 8 years without a problem. BUT he has no fill and never has. He took up running and manages his weight that way. He has the 4 cc band and they are thinking the band was just too small for him to begin with,but now that he's lost the weight, it's fine, but doesn't need or want a fill.

More good new as that is where I plan to book soon as self pay also. I am in Ontario Canada and will borrow the money for the Sleeve to start my new journey back to living life. Keep me posted and best of luck! I will likely be going alone too but hear how great eveyone has made out with the process with Dr. Aceves and his staff. Can't wait! Wish it was tomorrow! Sure wish the Canadian dollar didn't for for **** so badly. ouch

I have a BMI of over 40 so I'll be starting a one week pre-op diet soon. It's low/no fat and carbs. You can have Protein shakes/bars, low fat yogurt (yuck, I'll pass on that), and unlimited lean chicken, fish, and beef.

I'm just a few years older than you so I'll definitely keep you posted on how it goes.

I agree with you.

I'm still trying to find just 5 people banded 10 years or longer with an adjustable band. In 2.5 years I haven't met one yet. :crying:( We hear about all these people, we are told about them, Inamed has been selling adjustable bands for 18 years now. So where are all these old timer banded people?

They are living in the ice-cream parlor trying to put out the hearburn! LOL. Sorry, I need comic relief at this point but having that awful acid come up and choke you in your sleep and guzzling antacids all day is NO quality of life. I agree that bands will soon be joining the dinosaurs... extinct.

They are living in the ice-cream parlor trying to put out the hearburn! LOL. Sorry, I need comic relief at this point but having that awful acid come up and choke you in your sleep and guzzling antacids all day is NO quality of life. I agree that bands will soon be joining the dinosaurs... extinct.

Don't forget to have him unlock your band (vs. cutting it off) and save it for you. We can all have a band burning party. ;o)

Okay, so they don't burn, I tried. But we can still find a way to kill them so they don't spread their evil to others!

Elisabeth, you may be traveling there alone, but remember, I will be there the day after you, sleeve sister!!