Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Enough calories?

I am 5 days post-op and using fitday.com finding that I am eating only about 400-600 calories a day....I am following my nutristionist clear liquid diet. Is this enough calories?

The scale has only moved 2 pounds down since surgery...just curious what your experience was immediatelty after surgery??!!

Thanks

Hi Margo,

My experience was that I didn't count calories in the postop period, because I thought (and still think) the really important thing to focus on is not getting too hungry. Especially in the last few days of the liquid stage, you WILL be hungry but it's so important not to rush into soft or solid foods before the right time.

Directly after surgery you may not be hungry for a while, but don't sweat it. This period is NOT about weight loss, it's about healing. If you have a few 400-calorie days it's absolutely nothing to worry about. Soon enough you will be hungrier, and then you'll be worrying about the flip side. My message is, DON'T WORRY. Just take good care of your tum-tum and let it heal right. There's plenty of time later on to count calories. :rolleyes:

Margo, be easy on yourself. Fresh out of sugery, you still have all those fluids they pumped into you. Now your job is to rest and sip. It's important to not let yourself get too hungry. Just sip and rest and walk. The lbs will come off over time. If you are feeling okay on that level of calories then go with it. If you are feeling light headed or are starving then keep sipping away. You'll get more calories in when you can start taking on milk based drinks like Protein shakes and cream based Soups.

You are doing great!

(edited to say "what Alex said" because she and I are on the very same page)

DON'T WORRY. Just take good care of your tum-tum and let it heal right. There's plenty of time later on to count calories.

I agree with Alex with this statement!

So many people worry about weight loss right after surgery when any weight loss you have before a fill is a plus. This is the time to heal and get your strength back and tummy all healed up, band anchored in andset in place. then worry about weight loss..you will have years with your band to lose weight. An empty band usually will not promote much weight loss since the band works best when it is filled. WIthout a fill many of us can eat like we did pre band

It is very hard otp get in 1000-1200 calories when you are on liquids and still have swelling from surgery. I know I could not do it,I just could not drink that much since I had so much swelling I was averaging 500-600 calories a day on liquids.< /p>

Thanks ladies....I knew I would get good information from you "old" pros....you guys rock!!!

I still don't count calories unless I hit a plateau ..and then its only to review to see what I need to adjust.

I have been a religious calorie counter. In my kitchen, I have a notebook with months (5-6) of every calorie I put in my mouth. I did lose about 30 lbs and found it very helpful. My two-cents is that counting calories is a good and healthy practice. It just makes sense to know what your eating!

As for getting enough calories... you will be fine. I have occasionally questioned how much I am eating also. The bottom line is, get the Vitamins, minerals, Protein, and Water you need and your body will shed fat.

Above all... Enjoy what you can eat. food is a gift, enjoy it.

I keep pretty good track of my calories&fat intake I try to stay around 1100 calories less then ten fat grams.

I also have a Journal keep track of Water meals, shacks fruits veggies. and also exercise program I was at 9 too 14 hours aweek of exercise.

well enough about me how is every one doing on meeting there weight loss goals?

take care God bless!

You'll be fine just wait until the fill to worry about calories.