Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started my pre-op diet and Im so hungry...

i just wanted to recap on this real quick I am now on day 5 of my pre-op diet and I can say the first 2 days TOUGH. Prolly the hardest thing I've ever done. Seriously. Gezzz. It was hard. But Now Im ok I really am. I started on Tuesday and Friday was my 2nd pre-op and I had lsot 5 lbs in 3 days how crazy is that!!!!! It really encouraged me a lot. I've been finding my self not hungry at all and I've only drank one shake and thats 190 calories all day. Here is is 5pm and thats all i've had but im not even hungry how weird is that!!!! It's awesome. Just thought I'd share how it's going now. 3 days and I'll have my surgery!! WOOOOOOHHHHH

I am having the surgery on the 9th. I start my pre-op diet on the 6th. Now I am really nervous. I am thinking the pre-op will be the worst. Hang tough. When you get hungry, go for a walk. At least you are doing something away from the kitchen:)

I had a really bad couple of days on the pre-op diet, major major cheating going on. I think part of it is because my surgeon requires two full weeks of just liquids, and I know that so many people do one week or three days. Going forward I can't cheat, b/c I need to have at least one real week of liquids - surgery is March 9th.

AIT, don't get discouraged. I am due on the 9th, and my surgeon only requires 72 hours of liquid diet. I cannot believe some of them I have heard. 10 days to 2 weeks? That seems like cruel punishment. But...if that is what you have to do, do it. I know it is hard. Just look to the end result and the reward. We will have to keep in touch and go through this journey together. It always helps to have a "buddy" to share the good times and the bad.

Best wishes,

I'm not really discouraged. I just know that I need to behave myself going forward. I have 8 more full days until surgery, and they need to be liquid. No more picking at the popcorn flavored jelly bellys sitting on my coffee table :wink:

My husband has been really good and until I am able we have cleared our house of all that stuff. I know that I can't make him not eat what he likes, but until I have had the surgery, he has removed all the items to help me. Whenever you feellike eating one, send an email or go for a walk. It will go quick. Keep your chin up:)

I believe the Fluid diet depends on your doctor. I surely wish I was doing the one you are doing, having one meal a day. I have 21 days of just liquids, prior to surgery, that I will begin in three days. Its going to be tough but I am ready. I honestly feel my doctor does this plan for the 21 days of liquids because he is all about committment.

I wish you the best and hope you tough it out, it will be worth it in the end.:wink:

This is the first day of my preop diet and I can not have any real food. I can do sf Jello, broth, Protein shakes, sf pudding and popsicles. I woke up this morning and just didn't want to get out of bed cause I was hungry and didn't want to deal with not being able to eat. I haven't had anything yet but I just don't know how I'm going to do this for the next week. When I think about it in the big picture I will not be actually chewing for 7 weeks!!!!

1 week preop liquid diet

2 weeks postop liquid diet

2 weeks mushy foods

2 weeks soft foods

Then regular foods. WOW... I just really have to keep focusing on why I'm doing this and be positive! I think that will make it easier...

2 days till my surgery!!! Woot woot!! So thrilled. Freaking out a little about not eating a lot and the food i do eat getting stuck, but Im ready!

My surgery date is March 24th and I started my pre-op diet on Friday, which consists of 6 Optifast products a day. I don't get to have one meal a day. I can have a combination of shakes, Tomato Soup (no more than 2) and chocolate bars (no more than 2). I will be on this diet atleast until a week after my surgery. I'm not really hungery, but I would like something different. Only 23 more days until surgery.

I think my surgeon is a cruel, cruel man (not really, but I'm feeling a little dramatic because I'm pre-op dieting). I can only have Clear Liquids (with 8 oz of OJ and 8 oz of V8) a day for two weeks pre AND post op. So far I've done fine. I haven't felt hungry or frustrated. I think it's because it took me so long to finally get to this stage with insurance hassles and all the hoop jumping that I'm just excited it's finally here.

I looooooove Protein shakes. I would kill to be able to mix Protein with milk right now. How sad is that ? But it's just a month out of my life. So I'm trying to hang in there. Good luck to everyone ! I'm sure we'll all make it.

Well, I have decided to add torture to my life-LOL. I want to make this happen so bad, that I have opted to have the pre-op diet for 3 weeks instead of 2 weeks! Mine consists of 2 Protein Shakes & 1 frozen meal a day. So far, if I get hungry my best piece of advice is load up on Water & crystal light! It works, I promise!

So I'm only on my first day of 14 for my preop liquid diet I already feel as though I'm going just collapse from exaustion I keep readying everyones post to feel better and know that eventually I will not be starving.... I have a dinner for work tomorrow night so we will see how that goes I'm going in hoping not to cheat at all but if I do I wanna make good decisions like steamed veggies and chicken atleast go with as less amount of failure as I can right? I just so hungry right now.... :thumbup:

Interesting how doctors are so different! I started my 2 week pre-op diet on Monday. I get three shakes per day and two small meals. The req. for shakes are over 14g Protein and under 6 carbs. Meals are 4-5 oz of lean protein, 2 cups of salad greens with 2 tsps of dressing, 1/2 cup of veggies. I can also have 2 servings of sf Jello, 2 sf popsicles, unlimited celery, mushrooms and cucumbers. I am not allowed any fruits, nuts, Peanut Butter, or "mushie beans" like limas, peas, etc. I've got limitations on my protein. cheese has to be 2% or fat free. meats can be anything other than fried which is fine. I'm just excited that it's not full liquids! I'd be in trouble. No pastas, breads, etc. though.