Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new to forum banded 02/11

I go to the doctor today for first follow-up visit. No physical problems, mild discomfort with the cuts however I am an emotional wreck. I am not hungry but feel like crying most of the time. Feel lost without food. Any suggestions???

You may be feeling like that from the anesthesia. I have a friend that every time she has surgery she gets depressed for about 2-3 weeks. hang in there....remember feelings aren't facts it will pass.

That's not completely uncommon, I've heard of people getting depression post-WLS due to many factors (anesthesia IS a reason) as well as the fact you had major surgery and just had a major lifestyle change implemented (much like how depression can hit people after buying a new house, getting married, having a kid, etc.)

Talk to your doc, and see if they can recommend a psychiatrist you can talk to while you're taking this transition.. or your doc may prescribe you something for the time being.

I was also banded on 2/11, and I feel EXACTLY the same way! I am not an emotional person, but I feel like an emotional wreck! This has just come up the past few days, and I feel like I cry everyday! I have no idea why I cry. I mainly cry when I have to get my Protein in. I absolutely HATE the taste of the Protein Shakes, and the Protein Powder. I have the unflavored protein and cant do it! If you find any ways to get through this let me know because I can really use it!!! Good luck to you!!

I used the whey Protein bullets, they are 42g of protein in 3oz. I shot 1/2 a day, 2x a day.. like alcohol shots, I shot 1.5oz--chased it with Water. I didn't like shakes either..

The only other way I did extra protein was freezing expresso in ice cubes, then blending 2x expresso cubes with a little skim milk, splenda, and vanilla protein powder. Tasted like a vamped frozen frappucino.

I used the Whey Protein bullets, they are 42g of Protein in 3oz. I shot 1/2 a day, 2x a day.. like alcohol shots, I shot 1.5oz--chased it with Water. I didn't like shakes either..

The only other way I did extra protein was freezing expresso in ice cubes, then blending 2x expresso cubes with a little skim milk, splenda, and vanilla protein powder. Tasted like a vamped frozen frappucino.

I love the idea on the frappucino, I start my pre-op 2 week Protein drinks Monday. This is a definate on my menu for next week.

Thanks for your support. I use pure Protein shakes and lean body shakes from GNC (this is really good 260 cals 40 grams Protein 17 ozs)

I have been feeling better- went to the doctor and met a patient in the waiting room who really encouraged me and told me I am absolutely right where I am supposed to be. Thank God I am out of work for another two weeks because I am really not in a good space. My family has been very supportive but steering clear. The dogs are all over me because I walked them six times today.

Oh and I only lost seven pounds the first week? Am i doing something wrong or is my brain tricking me and it feels like I should have lost twenty pounds?????

Thanks for your support. I use pure Protein shakes and lean body shakes from GNC (this is really good 260 cals 40 grams Protein 17 ozs)

I have been feeling better- went to the doctor and met a patient in the waiting room who really encouraged me and told me I am absolutely right where I am supposed to be. Thank God I am out of work for another two weeks because I am really not in a good space. My family has been very supportive but steering clear. The dogs are all over me because I walked them six times today.

Oh and I only lost seven pounds the first week? Am i doing something wrong or is my brain tricking me and it feels like I should have lost twenty pounds?????

Technically you should not lose ANY weight for the first 3 weeks post-op. In fact, my doctor told me I would likely gain weight until my first fill. Luckily for me, I did lose a few pounds and not gain. I know you feel like you're not eating anything (or much much less than you used to) and you should be dropping weight like lead. However, your body is swollen, and uncertain as to what just happened to it (surgery) so it will take awhile to get "back to normal" and start losing.

I have gained and lost the same 3 lbs since surgery, but I feel GREAT and am in this for the long haul (although I wait everyday for that scale to move).

Best wishes to you, everyday you will feel better. Hang in there!