Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Huron Dr.'s

I have been thinking about having the Lap Band done for about a year now and I am ready to start looking at some doctors. I have been researching The Lap Band Center of Michigan at Port Huron. Anyone who has been to this hospital or has any opinions please let me know. I live about three hours from Port Huron so I want to be as informed as possible before I go to one one the seminars they have.

The biggest hurdle is to first see if my insurance provider will cover the cost. My employer (Pfizer) is changing providers next year and I will find out who that will be next week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks in advance for your help. This board has been a great resource for me in my journey so far....

AL

Yep, I was banded at Port Huron Hospital. I am happy with my experience. I thought the staff there was very friendly and competent (of course, the surgeons are very busy, but that's to be expected).

If you've done your homework ahead of time, the seminar probably won't reveal any big surprises. It's just a hoop you have to jump through. Supposedly there will be an info seminar in Flint on November 5th (according to http://www.porthuronhospital.org/frontpage/lap_band_surgery.htm ) so you might want to check into that. It might be closer for you.

You might want to visit the "Michigan" topic on this forum. I know there are some other Port Huron patients there. There is also a mailing list on Yahoo for us MI bandsters at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Eastside_Bandsters_MI

Good luck. :cool:

Thanks for the info!! My wife and I are expecting our second child any day now so I doubt I will make it to any of the seminars this month. I guess they have them every other month? So it looks like I won't be able to attend one untill Jan. I'm trying to be patient....

Glad to hear that everything went well at Port Huron. I'm a little nervous about surgery but I know I have to do something about my weight (345#).

I hope everything is going well for you. Thanks again!

AL

Congrats on the impending birth of your baby. :cool: Unless it has changed since I got banded, I think they have seminars every month, so maybe there will be one in December for you. I know it's hard to wait to get banded!

I have no regrets about getting the band or choosing to get banded in Port Huron. It was one of the best decisions I made in my life so far. I'm hoping that you get to feel the same way in a few months. :D

I was also banded in Port Huron by Dr. Boutt. I have NEVER had a more pleasant hospital experience. From the pre-op nurses to the housekeepers, everyone was so nice and accomodating. This was my first surgery (besides a c-section which I wasn't put under general anesthetic for) and I was terrified, but everyone there was so understanding and encouraging. I would recommend Port Huron Hospital to anyone having the lap band surgery.

I had surgery in Michigan, but I had a surgeon in Troy. Her name is Zoe Deol, and she's wonderful! I had surgery at Troy Beaumont Hospital and the staff there was exceptional. I see that your from near Kalamazoo so I don't know if Troy is any farther for you to go than Port Huron. Dr. Deol's website is www.michiganbariatrics.com. She doesn't do seminars, she meets with her patients one on one, so you could get an appointment with her whenever it's convenient for you. She's a wonderful surgeon and her program is wonderful.

Good luck to you!

Janel

Troy and Port Huron are about the same distance for me to travel. I have checked out Dr.Deol before but it looks like she doesn't take my insurance. I will check again just to be sure. Thanks for your help.

I have a question that is off the subject a little. I see people put their weight at with their signature. Usually there are 3 weights posted. Is the final wight posted a goal weight or your current weight? Just wondering.

Thanks again for your help.

AL

Yes, the first # is the pre-op weight, the second is the current weight and the third is the goal weight. I had to ask the same question too.