Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Figured it out - hunger after revision

Well I FINALLY figured out why my appetite was so incredibly out of control following the band revision surgery I just had. Since there was no fill in the band I wasn't ever feeling satisfied from ANYTHING and my head hunger was the worse I can ever remember having! I was actually worred I might GAIN weight because I was constantly drinking SlimFast, Boost, having Soup, a fudge bar or this or that. Nothing made me feel satisfied even a little bit.

So anywho - I finally figure it out! Slimfast & Boost both have a lot of sugar in them and the Soups I was drinking had high fructose corn Syrup. Well, I cut out all the sugar & corn syrup in my diet and I am doing WONDERFUL. I got a diabetic version of a Slimfast type drink that has no sugar in it at all (for breakfast) and made myself some homemade egg drop Soup (50% less sodium then buying it and no corn starch added) along with some sugar free ice cream, sugar free fudge bars and carb control yogurt. Well, I am sooo full now and I have NO cravings. I am SHOCKED, I mean SHOCKED at how big of a difference there has been literally over night by cutting out the sugar and corn syrup.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for any of you who are having insane cravings like I was. I felt like I was trying to break a horrible addiction or something!

Excellent work Muffin! I'm so glad you figured this one out, and it can be really tricky! I personally am very sensitive to corn and soy, they both make me very very hungry. The last binge was because I'd had a root beer that was sweetened with corn Syrup instead of cane sugar. I didn't realize it was a corn thing until it was too late.

If I am going to eat corn, I make sure I have Protein and fat first, this seems to help tremendously.

That head hunger can be a real bugger though!

again, great work!

Guest AskingQuestions

Are you saying that you dont have a full feeling when you have this lap band surgery? I thought after having the surgery that I would have a full feeling after eating just a little bit. Im kinda confuse now.

Muffin, great detective work

I know it holds true for me, If I eat carbs in the morning I crave more carbs and am hungry all day long, same goes with sugar for me. I keep my carbs and sugar intake to a minimum and only eat them late in the day so I do not graze all day. More Protein, less carbs & sugar keep my hunger under control.

Mercedes, a revision is surgery to correct an existing band problem, such as slippage, etc.

AskingQuestions, the full feeling comes once the recovery period has ended and bandsters are eating regular food, not the liquid diet required for the post-surgery healing period. But as you can see from Muffin's post, the right kinds of liquids make a big difference in satiety, no matter what your restriction level or the phase of diet you are eating for whatever reason.

Well done, Muffin!!! You are so attentive!!!

Are you saying that you dont have a full feeling when you have this lap band surgery? I thought after having the surgery that I would have a full feeling after eating just a little bit. Im kinda confuse now.
As I said at the beginning, I have no fill - when there is no fill in the band its almost like not having it. Especially if you have the larger Lap Band, as I do. The fills are what make the band work. Plus, if you're not eating solids, even a band with fill won't keep you full for too long.

What is a revision?

A revision is necessary if the band slips. I was violently ill with much vomitting and hard coughing for a week and I think that is what caused my band to slip.

You that is one thing I didn't even think about...I am going to have try that out. Thanks for the info and hope your recovery is going well.

I always enjoy reading your posts...thanks for keeping us up to date on you.

This is good information to know. I may need to get some different shakes and things in a few days so I am not starving!

Thanks,

Barbara

Since I've been following this liquid diet with no sugar or corn Syrup the weight is FALLING off. I am having a lower body lift Sept 8th and the lower my weight, the better the end result (I can gain back to an easy to maintain weight afterwards). So I'm thinking, with the weight coming off so easily that I will try to lose down to 120-115 pounds for the LBL because then they can make the skin even tighter - this will be especially helpful for my thighs.

Chances of me eating everything on the list below in a single day is rare, so I'm getting only about 500 calories per day and I'm not hungry at all OR craving any food (its actually weird to feel satisfied from so little). I am just so tickled with this. :)

So here it what I've been eating and the calories (total) in each:<O:p

<O:p

Calories - Item<O:p</O:p

125 - chocolate sugar free Choice Drink (only 100c in vanilla and strawberry)<O:p</O:p

280 - Creamed Soup, three cups (just 280c in ALL three cups!)<O:p</O:p

160 - Egg drop Soup, four cups & four eggs (no yokes)<O:p</O:p

100 - 1/2 cup Ice cream, sugar free (chocolate/peanut butter - yum!)<O:p</O:p

90 - Sugar free HUGE fudgecicle (carb control, not just "no sugar added")<O:p</O:p

80 - 1/2 cup Butterscotch sugar free pudding with light soy milk<O:p</O:p

60 - 1 Carb control yogurt<O:p</O:p

If I somehow managed to eat ALL of this in a single day its still just 895 calories total. There is just no way I could eat all seven cups of soup! And that is without any restriction right now.

<O:p</O:p

I make the Soups myself (super easy) so that I have control over the amount of sodium and other ingredients in them. For instance, I use just one heaping tablespoon of "I can't believe its not butter Light" for the creamed soup and low sodium broth for the egg drop soup.

There is a lot of sodium in this diet so I'm drinking extra Water. I find it easiest to get the extra Water down by using Crystal Light "On the Go" packets. Only 5 calories per 16.9 ounces - you use them in a bottle of water which is what makes them so easy.

<O:p</O:p

So even if you're not currently post-op (or if you are and have reached a plateau) you could try this for a week and see a bunch of weight just drop off - plus you can have Desserts (which makes a huge difference for me personally). It’s obviously not something a person could do for a really long time (by the way, I’m taking liquid Vitamin supplements every day) but it seems to be excellent with getting weight off quickly. I am already down to 130 pounds which is nearly 5 pounds falling off in just a few days.

Hope this helps somebody.

Mae

Yeah Baby! I could do this for a week.

I love love love Egg Drop Soup. Would you mind posting your recipes for the Egg Drop and Cream Soups? When you have a sec...pretty please?

I just cannot get my mind around the thought of having a 115 pound goal weight. Even if just for a few weeks! You go girl!!!! You are gonna look so great when all this is done, and to see your before pic? Wowza. Big difference! It must feel really great and I'm so proud of you!!!!

You are gonna look so great when all this is done, and to see your before pic? Wowza. Big difference! It must feel really great and I'm so proud of you!!!!
Thank you!

Here are the recipes:

Egg Drop Soup - 4 Cups, 160 calories total

2 - 14oz cans low sodium chicken broth

1 - tablespoon rice vinegar

2 - teaspoons soy sauce

4 - egg whites

1 - tablespoon *optional* flour for thickener (or even better buy soup thickener)

1 - tablespoon *optional* ginger

I also add a few green onion chunks for flavor, but remove them after cooking since I can't have solids right now. Bring all ingredients on the stove to boil except eggs - once boiling drizzle in egg whites.

Creamed Soup - 3 Cups, 280 Calories total

1 - heaping tablespoon "I can't believe its not butter - LIGHT"

1 - cup Water

1 - tablespoon parsley

1.5 - cups light Soy milk (plain flavor)

1/8 - cup Potato buds

1 - Teaspoon *optional* onion powder

1/2 - teaspoon *optional* dill weed

2 or 3 - tablespoons *optional* flour for thickener or use soup thickener above

1 - teaspoon *optional* flavored base or buillion cubes, I prefer veggie base

Bring melted butter, Water, dill weed, onion, parsley, flavored base and soy milk to boil. Slowly mix in flour for thickener and simmer (stir the flour in a little cup of water prior to adding to soup to keep there from being lumps).

Mix up runny Potato buds seperatly in HOT water and let sit for a couple of minutes so they absorb all the water, they should be runny. Add Potato Buds to soup last and mix well.

Both of those Soups reheat REALLY well so I make a huge batch and then just pull it out of the frig later.

I use light Soy milk instead of milk for the pudding too, since Soy milk has HALF the sugar of regular milk and has a lot of Protein.

Good luck!

Mae