Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op day 1 question

I just got banded this morning and have been home for a few hrs now, and I'm curious, did everyone have this uncomfortable bloated gas feeling in the belly? If so, how long does it last, not to be crude, but man I wish I could just rip a few good ones to relieve the pressure..lol I've been gettin up and walking around every 10-15 mins and it doesn't help.

Yes the bloated feeling is very normal! The best thing you can do for it is get up and walk around. You must be doing a lot better than I did on my surgery day, I couldn't stay awake long enough to talk to my family, let alone post on line! Good for you! :mad2:

They pump gas into your stomach to expand the area to preform the surgery (sort of like a balloon).

Some people also experience shoulder pain as the gas moves around.

I feel for you, I didn't have terrible gas pain. (Port pain is another story :mad2:)

I have heard that gasX works well for this, but it is very normal.

I had that gas pain for a whole week. It never traveled to my shoulder, though. I was able to expel the gas (both ends) and it didn't relieve the gas very much. Gas X helped but I think time is the only thing that helps.

I'm impressed you are on the computer already! I love my computer and spend a lot of time on it daily but I didn't feel well enough to go on it for 5-6 days post surgery. I also didn't have the attention span to pay attention to what I read....

I am feeling VERY blessed reading these posts! I was on the computer the day after my surgery. I just got banded on Feb 11th and I've been back at work since Monday. Granted, it's just a desk job but I just don't feel like I've had a lot of issues thus far (knock on wood).

I will admit it is HUGELY embarrassing speaking with clients at my desk (I'm a mortgage consultant) and having my tummy rumble soooo loudly! My significant other suggested I tell people that I am playing those nature-type cd's....and this particular track is of a volcano erupting. LOL.

I'd love to stay at home and just veg but when you're 100% commission, sometimes that's not an option. :eek:(

And to answer the question, I DO feel bloated and it is STILL uncomfortable sometimes even 1 week post-op.

Good luck to you!!!

Three days post-op here!!

Today was by far the worst day. gas-wise for me. However, today was also the first day I could, ahem, release some gas. LOL!

I have been using the gas-x strips and they aren't doing much for me!

(Soooo happy to be able to "legally" post in the POST-op section!):eek:

Hugs,

Well I will say that I am feelin so much better today, very lil discomfort as far as the gas feeling. I've been lettin them rip all morning..lol I'm hoping I'm on the downhill side of it today. I just hope I can get some sleep tonight, didn't get very much last night...hard to just lay in one position.

I am 5 weeks post-op and doing wonderful. My worst day was the 3rd day, couldn't drink liquids, was so upset!! Never took any meds for pain! Had surgery on Friday had to stay the night because of sleep apnea, went home Saturday afternoon in church on Sunday! No fill yet, going in on the 4th of March for possible fill, he is not sure yet??? I have lost 18 pounds in 41/2 weeks!:eek:

The gas-x didn't do much for me either but it did take a little bit of the edge off so I could actually move without feeling like I was about to explode. I never got the shoulder pain but the pain in my abdomen and chest more than made up for it. Word to the wise: once you start getting in more Soups and stuff NEVER trust a fart! I had to change clothes quite often because I was crazy enough to trust the fart.< /p>

AIRMECH~ I was the same way, not able to sleep well the first few nights. Laying in one position, and my butt would fall asleep in fifteen minutes! :sneaky: I would say last night, night 4, was the best so far. I was able to actually turn on my right side and sleep for about 5 hours. Felt soooo good!!!

And day 3 was definitely the worst as far as the gas is concerned! UGH! So glad that part is behind me!

Hugs,

I thought the gas or air was injected into the abdominal cavity to allow better viewing of the exterior of the stomach and liver and not into the stomach itself execpt for seeing the placement of the band. Am I incorrect?? That would explain the reason it takes so long to expel the air, the body has to absorb the air to expel it.

This my first day post op. Thanks for the gas-x suggestion. I feel as though I could burp all night but then I can't. thanks for letting me know day 3 is the worst. Maybe then I won't panic.

I guess everyone is different...I slept like a baby on night 2 and i'm on day 3 now and I feel fine...most of the gas feeling is gone and no discomfort.