Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone used DR. Natera in CD.Juarez , Mexico for Surgery?

Hi edgar felix. i am going to be banded by dr natera 2/25. i was sceptical at first, but feel much better about him now that i have spoken with his nutritionist-Irene. she tells me dr natera has done over 1000 bands, amoung other types of surgeries and "i would trust him". states he has never had a person return to the states and have a complication...i personally feel he is very qualified and the star medico hosp is a good one. are you already scheduled? I will tell you how it goes friday 27 (or probably saturday) when i get back.

there is not alot of info on him on the internet like some of the docs- he has traditionally focused on mexican patients, but is a good surgeon. his nutritionist does speak pretty good english and dr natera speaks some english.

Luchay

I grew up in EL Paso (Juarez is on the other side of the Rio Grande) and know that right now there is a great deal of unrest in Juarez (used to be a sleepy border town) This is NOT a comment on getting surgery in Mexico! But Juarez isn't really safe for travel right now.

Here's a link to the Travel Alert issued by the Federal State Department:

MIG: Mexico Travel Alert

You might want to reschedule your surgery for later in the year, or find a surgeon deeper into Mexico.

I don't mean to be incendiary; honestly...but the laws in Mexico are different from here and Juarez is really suffering from drug-caused violence.

It's your call, of course; just wanted to make sure you're aware of it. Most people I know in El Paso just aren't traveling to Juarez for now.

I sure will. It is kinda hard cause all my friends are trying to talk me outta going to dr natera...but i am and i will share my experience with you and anyone to help you make a decision..

best of luck to both of us!

liz (luchay)

I was banded by dr natera in juarez on 2/25/9. he is a very good surgeon, has a very good anesthesiologist and staff is very friendly and accommodating. i did well with the surgery and feel good now 5 days later. i will have my fills in the us.

only drawbacks are the nursing staff do not usually speak any english but dr natera and the surgical team and staff do speak pretty good english. second, i did not care for the pain meds, not as good as the us and of course juarez is in unrest, but i did not feel afraid. we were picked up at the el paso airport taken directly to the hospital. had surgery same day. next day taken to holiday inn next door and next day driven back across the border to el paso airport. the hospital is very clean, nice and new and holiday inn was great.

so, i would do it again with dr natera unless the situation in juarez digressed further, and would take my own pain meds with me i think...

luchay

I am doing just great. i had post op gas for a week after the surgery, but that is normal. He is an excellent surgeon. my incision sites are minimal. port site is very normal and not sensitive. he put a 10cc band in with no restriction at the surgery. i know this because i got my operative report. he sent a letter with me to tell the US doctor i use for fills to make my first fill 3cc. i would go to him again in a heartbeat. only suggestion, discuss pain medication with his staff before hand. they dont give narcotics in mexico unless you have a serious surgery and i did not care for the type pain meds they gave. i was not in alot of pain, but have a low threshold.....good luck to you and let me know how it goes....if you chose dr natera, please tell him and irene- his nutritionist i gave him a great recomendation....

luchay

thanks for the reply!!! i am seriously thinking about using dr natera... so since you have a band with no restriction were you still able to loose any weight?

thanks for the reply!!! i am seriously thinking about using dr natera... so since you have a band with no restriction were you still able to loose any weight?

i have lost about 9 pounds since the surgery on 2/25/9. i get my first fill 4/4/9. for the first 2.5 weeks i didnt eat much as i had gas and my stomach was still swollen. now i can eat more and just about anything i want. i still can not eat like i used to before the band. big difference. i am not losing weight at this point but i'm not gaining. from what i understand, the time between recovery from surgery and the first time we start to experience restriction is hard. called bandster hell-but not that bad. i try to stick to high Protein, and when i do eat sugar or bread, is just a small portion of what i used to eat. i am so happy i have the band, and so glad i went w dr natera. he is very reasonable compared to other mexico docs and of course us docs.today i have hope and i wouldnt trade it for anything!

please just remember everyone is different. i am not advocating dr natera for anyone but myself. i was a sceptic and now i trust him as a surgeon based on my experience..

good luck- liz

Hey

I too was banded by Dr. Natera in Juarez about 2 months ago and everything is going greeeaaaat. Irene his nutritionist is so helpful and we still keep in contact through email. Dr. Natera does not put Fluid in the band during surgery, and I am 2 months post op and still do not have any Fluid in my band, and I am still losing. Started at 255 and now at 229. Finding after care in fl. was pretty difficult but I'm schedule for a fill in about 2 weeks. Don't worry just follow the rules and you will do greeeat.

Looking for any info ( good or bad) on him. I am considering using him. Thank you in advance for te help.

Hi EF,

Just wondering if you made a choice yet and how you are doing......

Luchayicon12.gif