Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Entering Biggest Loser Contest at Gym be cheating?

I didn't enter it, and the dead line has passed. I really wanted to enter as motivation, but unless I told them, I think it would be cheating. I read the entry, and there was nothing in there about having weight loss surgery. It's not like it was for money or anyting. I think it was a t shirt, and entry fee's went to a local food bank. Like I said, I just wanted it for motivation, but if I had won I feel like it would have been dishonest. Opinions?

Humm, I have thought about this stuff too.. Let me ask you, do you think it would be cheating to go on the Biggest Loser tv show with having this surgery and compete against all those people for 250K?

It's weird because I saw one contestant that looked like they had the lapband scars, but it could have been any surgery, but it made me wonder about it. Because it would give you a pretty big advantage over others who don't have that restriction. I wonder if they would be asked to get a complete unfill to be on the show so it's fair.

I guess this didn't answer your question though.. lol. I don't think it would be fair because a lapbander - at their sweet spot - would have a big advantage and at that point ones morals would be questioned. But, just because one has the lapband doesn't mean they have restriction. This is just my opinion though...

Do I personally think it would be dishonest? No. We are all working hard to learn how to control our food intake.

That being said, you better believe anyone else finding out about it would feel it was dishonest if you didn't disclose your surgery. Most people think WLS is an advantage. And honestly, it is. Just not as much of one as many seem to think.

I would think that if we had a bypass that would be more. But having the lapband, I think it takes more work. If I cheat, I can still eat alot, but just not at one time. I knew going in that I would have to work, and the band is just a tool, not a magic bullet. But I think my conscience got the best of me, because I didn't. I was just wondering what others thought.

Lol, at this stage I dont feel my lapband would be an advantage. I guess its restriction level - my band keeps my weight away, I eat about 1800 calories a day and I stick to that easily. But if I try to do 1000, to lose a few more kg's, I cant do it any more easily than I ever could pre band - I'm starving, I think about food all the time......

For a gym comp, I would do it. Its not for money, and I really believe it would be as much as a challenge for me as it is for the next person because I'm not so restricted that I could diet easily.

But I wouldnt try duping the TV show producers for 250K - not that you'd get away with it anyway.

I wouldn't do it, but that is just me. Is there an advantage to being banded . . . well losing all my weight in less than a year without starving myself seems to tell me that there is.

I would personally feel dishonest about it unless I fully disclosed about the band, which I don't disclose (so I would be hiding my advantage). On the flip side, I wouldn't be offended if someone else chose to enter the contest after being banded.

I think that of course the lap band helps in weight loss...that's why manu of us got it. That, and to keep it off. I think you were right to forego the contest.

They actually had 'auditions' somewhere near where I was getting banded, and I joked about going over there.

I wouldn't want my trials/tribulations with weight loss on TV, but if they don't say anything about weight loss surgeries, I don't think it's cheating.

They actually had 'auditions' somewhere near where I was getting banded, and I joked about going over there.

I wouldn't want my trials/tribulations with weight loss on TV, but if they don't say anything about weight loss surgeries, I don't think it's cheating.

I agree with not wanting my personal weight loss trials and tribulations on TV. They have to wear those ridiculous outfits showing all the bulges, wrinkles, cellulite for weigh-ins. I would feel silly wearing them now even after losing weight.

there are ads to enter the biggest loser here on LBT... to the right of the page.

seen them now for about a wk.

there are ads to enter the biggest loser here on LBT... to the right of the page.

seen them now for about a wk.

LOL, you are right!!! My perception of website advertisements must be on auto-ignore. :rose::lol::tongue2:

I don't think it would be such bad thing to enter the contest at the gym simply because you're doing it for motivation and there isn't a significant prize up for grabs (well losing the weight is priceless!).

I have a connection to get a vip pass to the front of line for the Biggest Loser audition in Chicago this weekend, so I would be guaranteed a chance to audition for the casting people. But I just finished my 6 month dr supervised diet and im waiting to submit to insurance for approval. I figured my chances of success are far better with surgery and I don't want to delay things by waiting around to see if I get a chance on a tv show haha.

24hr fitness is the gym i currently use, and they run these contests frequently. the last person who won was a woman who had gastric bypass.

the surgery doesn't take you to the gym, you do it - no one had any issue w/this woman winning & she looks FANTASTIC!

I think if someone was upfront about WLS, then it would be fine. However, if you had entered the contest, and kept your surgery secret, someone somewhere would talk (gossips run amok), and you might have been viewed as being deceitful. I think you made the right decision. On a scale of one to ten on moral dilemmas, I'd rate this a one though.

Personally, I can say that the band has made losing weight way easier for me than any diet or WL drug I've ever been on (leaving out the small $13,000 price tag, and the little matter about the surgery, lol). Sure, I'm the one who has to exercise and stay away from high calorie/low nutrition foods, but not having that gnawing feeling of hunger in my stomach, sure makes this exponentially easier.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Regarding the tv show...NO WAY would I let America see my bulges, let alone know my weight! haha

I entered a similar weight loss contest among those who dont have the band. To me my band just doesnt help me that much. Maybe its not working right, but I sure have to work just as hard to lose as I ever did, so I dont feel dishonest.

Turns out among about 8 of us hanging in there, Im about 4th ..... maybe after a month. Two guys are blowing me away, one is down over 20 lbs in less than 6 weeks, one gal is down 10 who started 32 lbs less.

My other reason I dont feel it is cheating is they started losing with the contest. They could lose that easy first 20 - 30 lbs and Water weight. I was already started so I had no easy weight left to lose. Im down 10 since the contest started and Iv worked my arse off for every lb.