Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and considering lap band surgery

Hello. I am totally new and right now am just looking for ideas. I am 29 years old, 6' and weigh 315 pounds. I have hypertension, cholesterol and triglyceride problems. Also type II diabetes runs in my dad's side of the family (I don't know about my mom's), however right now I do not have it (but due to my morbid obesity and genetic heritage I think I will suffer from it within 15 years or so). My dad, all 4 of his siblings and both his parents have it (type II diabetes) or have had it (his parents are dead now, but they lived to their 80s). I also am having leg, foot, knee and some back pain.

I am still reasonably physically active. I can hike, bike and walk for an hour or more without problem. I am built more like an offensive lineman in football, so I think the extra leg muscle is helping to keep me active and protecting my joints.

But I seriously worry that I am going to start having more serious health problems as I age, and most are due to my obesity. I feel like if I address my obesity I can address my joint problems, my cardiovascular problems, my risks for type II diabetes and improve my sleep. My dad is 58 years old and really can't do much of anything anymore. He has severe diabetes and cardiovascular problems. All he does is work and sleep. I realize obesity is just one of many areas of my health I need to address, but I also realize it is one of the biggest ones I have to worry about as most of my serious health concerns revolve around it.

Anyway, I want to do something about my obesity, but part of me feels medicine is advancing so fast maybe I should wait 5-10 years for a better surgery to come along, and then get that. There is a company in MA that is working on a sleeve that is implanted via the mouth that covers the first foot or two of your small intestines. It is less invasive and also assists with obesity. Part of me feels I should focus on ways to address my health risks (take more Vitamins, eat more Fiber, exercise, etc) and just wait to address the obesity side of it down the road.

My point is that, I'm really just at a crossroads. I worry about what damage my health is undergoing or will undergo due to being so obese, but I also feel like if I hold out then better, cheaper and safer medical technologies will come along. I also realize that even though my health is at risk, it could be 15+ years before I start to see serious effects from it. So I don't know if I should do it now or if I need to wait a few years.

On another note, because of my size I require alot of calories every day. My normal caloric intake is 4000-5000 a day. If I eat 3000-3500 a day I lose about 2 pounds a week (can't keep it off, but I can lose weight on that kind of caloric intake). If I eat less then 2500 a day I get light headed and tired. I see alot of people talk about only eating 800 or so calories a day after bieng banded. I don't want to lose weight too rapidly (it can damage health and help cause loose skin), so for me to lose weight comfortably I think I'd need about 2800 or so calories a day. Is that possible after being banded? Can you puree Protein shakes and drink them to get the calories you need? I want to lose weight, but if I am feeling lethargic and tired all the time (because I am eating far too little) then its not going to be worth it. Can they put the band lower in the stomach to make the stomach pouch bigger?

This is probably rambling, but I'm trying to say alot at once. Basically I am wondering if I should get banded now or if I should wait 10 years or so and hope the technology for obesity is better and get banded then, and hope I can do things other than lose weight to address the health problems I feel I am going to start running into as I reach middle age. I like the lap band because it is reversible, and the complication rate is fairly low.

Your BMI is 42.7. That's not healthy. Even if you're more muscled, you're still too heavy. I suggest going to a seminar or two, see what they say. Ask about your caloric intake...voice your concerns.

Hi Horus....

From what I read of your introduction, you are ready for a life change with your weight. If you feel as if you can lose 75 to 100 pounds safely on your own with working out and changing your eating habits, that's great, and you should do it!

If you feel as if you need help from overeating, you should go attend a seminar on the Lap Band, or at least read the "Lap Band for Life" book. The Lap Band a great "tool" to have, but it does require work and will-power from you. They most likely will not make a big guy eat only 800 calories a day... but they probably will make you eat less than 2800... lots of Protein is the key to keeping you from passing out.

As for waiting for a better procedure, you could do that, but why wait 10 more years? That is a huge chunk of your life. If you got started with the Lap Band now, you would probably have the actual surgery in the next 3 to 6 months... then in one year's time, with dedication from you, you could be at your ideal weight (or at least a lot closer). And, you will be more likely NOT to gain it back because your stomach will be restricted.

And, as you know, if you decide you want to do something else eventually, the band is removable. Nothing in your body gets rearranged!

Good luck on your Quest for a change!

Thanks for the replies. I will go to a seminar and see what they say.

As for being more muscled, I think it helps me with mobility, energy and protecting my joints (so the muscles can absorb some of the shock when I walk, so it doesn't go to the bones). But overall being 315 pounds is not healthy.

I appreciate the book recommendation. There is no way I could lose 75-100 pounds w/o obesity surgery and keep it off. What I meant was that I can focus on ways to control my risk factors for CVD, diabetes and osteoarthritis that are independent of weight loss. I can take Vitamin D, magnesium, eat more Fiber, keep exercising, etc. (I already do all that stuff) and all those things will improve my health even if I still remain morbidly obese. So losing weight isn't the only way to preserve my health. But it is a major way.

I'm perfectly willing to diet and exercise and do my part to lose weight. So thats not a problem.

I love that the band is reversible though, because if something less invasive comes along down the road I can switch to that method.