Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have to fly within a week after surgery?

Hi all. My surgery is on 2-19 and I have to take a short flight on 2-23 for a 2 day meeting, then fly back.

I'm wondering if anyone has had to do something like this and what was the effect? Thanks much.:thumbup:

Hi all. My surgery is on 2-19 and I have to take a short flight on 2-23 for a 2 day meeting, then fly back.

I'm wondering if anyone has had to do something like this and what was the effect? Thanks much.:thumbup:

Hello, I had my surgery in Mexico and flew back the next day with connection flights, total flying time all together was about 6hrs and it all went well with no problems.

peaches

Personally, I had a very hard time sitting for a few weeks after surgery. Even when I finally went back to work, I had to constantly get up and walk around because it was uncomfortable to sit for too long. Everyone's different, but I couldn't wear jeans for a while either. I was in sweats for the first month - even at work. My stomach was really tender and even sitting in the car to drive the 2 miles to work was difficult.

Just make sure you're super comfy on the plane... seatbelt's not too tight, pants aren't too tight, make sure you don't have to bend too much to get stuff from under the seat.

Not trying to scare or concern you, but that was just my personal experience.

I flew 9 days post op. I was a short flight and I had no problems. I was quite active on the weekend at my destination as well

I had my surgery right before Thanksgiving and flew out for a week of travel with relatives. The seatbelts were uncomfortable, they were tight across the incisions. I wore loose clothes. I can't imagine wearing business clothes right after, maybe some loose pants.

Hopefully you'll get taped and glued like I was and not stapled. That would be more comfortable.

Good news though, I did find it easy to get the liquid foods just about anywhere. There are groceries and Wal-marts everywhere so you can get your Protein drinks.

Good luck!

I also had surgery in Mexico and flew home on day 3 with no problems, my surgeon just told me to get up and walk about the cabin every couple of hours. sitting long periods of time after surgery can cause blood clots. He also gave me compression stockings that help with that when flying.

I had a business meeting that I was to attend 3 weeks after surgery and my surgeon essentially fobid me from flying- I had to cancel the trip!

I am currently 2 days post op, and I HURT! I can't sit too long, and I can't get in and out of bed without help. I can't see myslef flying in the next two days, but I hope that you can if you have to do it.

Good Luck!

I flew cross country on a Monday after having surgery on a Friday. There were 2 flights for 2-3 hours each. It was not terrible but was rather exausting with the lines and walking the airports. It also wasn't a direct flight. If you do this, you definitely want to wear something big and stretchy, kind of like gym pants, and comfortable shoes.

Sitting wasn't so comfortable. I pretended to wear my seatbelt but didn't actually wear it. I was scared a buzzer or something would go off saying I was noncompliant . . . but that never happened :0).

If you can avoid the trip, I would suggest it. You can definitely do it but you will not be feeling 100% that soon after. It will be uncomfortable and a bit trying. Most people suffer with a lot of fatigue the first week as well which makes travel more difficult.

Glad someone posted this bc I'm considering the same thing. I have a date for March 9th in mexico, so I'll travel coast to coast for that, flying home on Wed. Then, 3 days later, I have a pre-planned family trip to LA (again coast to coast) and am wondering if I need to plan the surgery after the LA trip instead of before. Costs go up on airfare - to do that, but I'm just not sure what to do. I'm pretty strong and generally recover well in other medical things (childbirth, minor surgeries, etc.). Please keep the replies coming!

I flew the day after surgery. I decided to come home a day early (mistake). I changed my flight and had to wait over 3 hours for my flight, then had trouble in the dark finding the shuttle to where I parked.

I was exhausted when I got home. I even stopped to grocery shop on the way home, Im the only one who can drive and needed chicken broth. I did rest most of the next day and was ok.

PS the really hard thing was having to remove my shoes and then put them back on and tie them. I was travelling by myself from El Paso where I crossed the border for surgery. Should have stayed the extra day I guess. Durn airports making you take off your shoes.

HI,

Yes, I had the surgery on Tuesday and flew home from Los Angelos to Georgia on Friday. Had a lay over in Denver. I did ask for wheel chair assistance and limited the amount of time I had to walk and wait in line. (Be sure to have cash on hand to give out to those that wheel you around ) No discomfort on the flights. I went to work and drove 300 miles 6 days after surgery. I was fatigued but not sick.

Ask your doctor. Mine said no way. I had no complications. I had my surgery on Jan 12th and was to fly out on the 24th of Jan.

The doctor said not to fly because of the air pressure in the cabin can cause complications.

So ask your doctor what they feel and follow their recommendations.

Glad someone posted this bc I'm considering the same thing. I have a date for March 9th in Mexico, so I'll travel coast to coast for that, flying home on Wed. Then, 3 days later, I have a pre-planned family trip to LA (again coast to coast) and am wondering if I need to plan the surgery after the LA trip instead of before. Costs go up on airfare - to do that, but I'm just not sure what to do. I'm pretty strong and generally recover well in other medical things (childbirth, minor surgeries, etc.). Please keep the replies coming!

I would personally schedule the surgery for after the trip, or move the trip out a few weeks if you can. Reason being, you want to really enjoy your time there when you are feeling your best. You will be on a super restrictive liquid diet after surgery, feeling at least a little under the weather, and easily fatigued.

PS the really hard thing was having to remove my shoes and then put them back on and tie them. I was travelling by myself from El Paso where I crossed the border for surgery. Should have stayed the extra day I guess. Durn airports making you take off your shoes.

I forgot about this part but you are so right.

If you have some comfortable shoes that you can walk in but also slip on and off it is very helpful. Alot of bending and tying right after surgery is difficult if not downright unpleasant.