Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some thoughts as I approach surgery date

This post is not really a question, but more about me thinking about my decision for surgery. Since I am pre-op this seemed to be the right place for this post.

Me - 66 in March, Male, sedentary occupation. weight - 295, height 6'-0". According to the chart my weight should be 175'ish. My desired weight is 190.

Motivation - (in no particular order) Want the ladies to smile at me (again), want to improve health BP and Diabetes, colestoral (sp?). Want to be more active and move more easily. I am a professional and at times give testimony in court so a good appearance is also an asset.

Other points - Have longevity in family. father died at age 94, mom still alive @ 94, all grand parents lived into 90's. So I think "Why be stupid and throw away my life?"

Hey Hal what is the point of all of this - you ask. The answer is that writing helps me think. I don’t mind putting my thoughts out here for others to see, (and I am open to constructive comments).

So here’s where it boils down to - I can see and want all of the obvious benefits, be more healthy, move better, be able to enjoy exercise, look better and feel better about myself. The troubling part is getting there. There is minimal risk in the procedure. There is discomfort short term post op. There is life long restrictions I will be facing. – no alcohol, no grazing on the cruise ships buffets, many of my favorite foods will be off limits. Eating has been a very comfortable social part of my life. I go to my favorite restaurant, and like Cheers – they all know my name and the waitresses know that I want a cup of coffee and a glass of Water when I arrive and then I can wait for them if they are busy.

I have done the diet things before, and have had some very good results and other times have only middling success. The way I look at it is similar to the Spanish conqueror Cortez when he invaded Mexico after sailing from Cuba. He ordered his men to “Burn their boats”. That meant there was no turning back. We will succeed or die here. I view this surgery as burning my boat. And that is somewhat daunting to me.

I ask that no one say to me “If you have these questions, then you are not ready”. Any thinking person will ponder large decisions. It is a wise man who “Counts the cost”.

I feel better for having put this to paper. I want to do more research to see that there is large life after the band.

Regards to all

Hal

Oh Hal, there is such a GRAND life after banding!

Yes, there are things that I miss.....I miss big, giant, sub sandwiches....and I miss beer....and I miss diet coke....BUT,

I don't miss size 20 pants, I don't miss constant heartburn, I don't miss feeling like a slug, I don't miss taking a handful of medication everday....

I love crossing my legs, I love buying new clothes in the "regular" section, I love having ENERGY, and yes....I love VERY much having men smile at me!

Hey Hal I am right with you. My surg. date is 3-4-09. I am having thoughts about if I can even make it through the 10 clear liquid diet befor surg. good luck to you!

Hi Hal

I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck for your surgery. I have had my band since November and whilst I do miss some of my favourite foods, I still go out to restaurants socially with my husband and friends and I still have the occasional glass of wine.

I am experiencing being full after a small amount of food and it is a great feeling. I am 55lbs down since my pre op diet started in August and although I confess to a couple of nasty 'stuck' incidents which were painful, I don't regret my decision to have a band for one minute.

All the best to you- do post up about how you get on post op.

Sue

Hi, Hal!

I am glad you got to work out some thoughts here! I think we've all sat and pondered those same things. It's hard to burn your boat at first, but I think you will be happy to discover that you won't even have a desire to get back into that Water.

I wish you all the best for a smooth surgery and recovery. In a blink you'll be through the hard part and onto a great new adventure. Take care!

HI Hal and all! I am on Preop and it is a miserable thing! I had a 53 BMI and still need to drop 22 pounds to get mine done. I have dropped 13 so far and now the next 22. WOW what a shocker! it has been awful honestly and I hope I am not being dramatic!

And all of these questions too in mind...I have been over weight my whole life. Eating will never be the same. I cook and cook big I have a large family. AND now the huge question in my mind is can I do this? Should I do this? Is it really what I need to do? Is there anything I could have done to not get at this point. ANd then if I am feeling all of these ways then should I wait a while longer to go through with this??? I dont know.

I lost 140 pds in the yr of 2005 of a weight loss plan and gained every pound back within 3 yrs and it was awful probley more of the reason to get the surgery done. I am scared and worried about something foreign going into my body and. All of the sudden all of the restrictions are scaring the heck out of me!!

I am with ya Hal! This is huge. And maybe we just need more time and more soul searching.

Good luck!

I sure am glad to find out that others are thinking and feeling the way that I do. My wife and I are going to get banded in April. She has no doubts, but I wonder at times if I can do it. Reading that my concerns are normal really helps out.:thumbdown:

Hi Folks,

My surgery date is March 10th...I begin my two week liquids on the 24th of Feb. Aetna had me do six more months of diet under the doctor's eye and then approved me. Through those six months, I've had strong self talk, lots of think time and more. It is challenging...it is life changing. But, it's all for a better quality of life. I ran into a lady this afternoon in Walmart. I was browsing the Protein powders...she picked one up. I said, 'have you had surgery?' And, we were off into a fun visit. She had the sleeve end of December and is now 30 pounds lighter. There was no negative thoughts in her words or on her face. She is pure excitement, shared some recipes with me that she does for work, etc. More and more people are doing this and the large majority are highly successful. It's our choice...it's our wish to change our stagnant lifestyle. Sluggish, sleep mask, bp meds, diabetes type II, who wouldn't won't a chance to perhaps leave all of that on the curb? I hope everyone has success and makes all the way!! Good thoughts and well wishes!!

Hal and others,

I am with you! I am currently on the Pre-Op journey, and it does stink. I am sure that many more trying times will be to come. I honestly have spent the last 4 months trying to accept my body and my health just wishing to be happy with my body so that I don't HAVE to do this.

It comes down to this (for me):

I have to lose the weight or I will die

If doesn't matter if I am "okay" with being a size 24 and weighing in at 329 pounds I am still unhealthy

My kids are the main people suffering with my wieght and I can't parent with my full potential at this weight and in my health.

Those are the things I tell myself everytime I think about quitting and just accepting my obesity.

I am sure that you will make the right decision for yourself. You have the support here if you need it!

Hey there Hal! My surgery date is Feb 27th. I am feeling exactly the same. Listing out all the things I'm going to miss after this surgery.

But then I kick myself and say, "Is a buffet really more important to you than living a full life?"

There are so many things I can't do with this extra weight....many because I physically cant and many because I'm scared to even try because of my weight. Being overweight is a minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day struggle for me. I know it's that way for most of us. But Hal....we are worth so much more than that. We deserve to really live not just to be alive.

I think making the choice to do the lap band is a decision we make not only with our heads but our hearts as well. Listen to your heart.....it will tell you it's worth it!

I am still awaiting insurance approval, but I think I am finally accepting that this IS the right thing for me to do. How much will I miss Dr Pepper? The Chinese buffet down the street? How much will I miss the high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, arthritis, feeling exhausted all the time and the condescending looks from rude people? How much will I enjoy FINALLY being able to keep the weight off that I lose? How much will I enjoy NOT feeling humiliated and embarassed when we run into one of my husbands co-workers in public? When I was a 120 pound newlywed, my husbands coworkers would tease him and ask him "How did YOU get HER?". I know that made him so proud. We've been married for 22 years now, and it's been 15 years since that has happened. I've lost 10-45 pounds nearly a dozen times, only to have them creep back on with a few extra. I want my husband and our children to be proud of me. I want to be healthy again. I want to live. Yes, I am ready for this.

Hal GOOD LUCK! It is a major decision but for me it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. If it makes you pre-banders feel better I have really not missed anything! I just don't have the cravings at all. Again good luck. You will do GREAT.

Thank you for that! I think a lot of this is mental. And it can be broken. I have proven time and time again I can lose weight pull the #s. It is keeping it. This is why I have to have the band. And I too want all cravings to go bye bye!

My date is also on the 10th. of march. Been thinking good/bad about it some of my friends say I should not do it because some problems they heard of. My wife is for it and I just found this web site. as you can see I have a lot of questions

Hal,

Thanks so much for your post. I've been having some of the same thoughts. "Do I really want to burn my boat---is this the right decision for me---will I be successful."

My surgery date is March 16th. I've been going through the process for 2years-- seminar, upper GI, psych eval. , nutrition counselor, etc.

I have not told many people and the people I have told, it as been 50/50. Two were very negative and two were supportive. I only told my boss this past Friday after she confided in me that she had breast cancer. I decided if she trust me, I would trust her with mine. But given my sensitivity to negative input, I have decided to tell no one else. My prayer is that I can do this and I will succeed.