Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I'm new here. I have an appointment to see the doctor about the lapband procedure. I have to get all my paperwork and lab work together but I'm now having second thoughts. I'm really getting scared. I want to loose the weight and be healthy but I'm afraid I won't be able to eat right and PB or get sick. It this just my imagination? Have I been reading too many negative posts? I guess I should just at least talk to the doctor about it.

LanierNCats

Hello,

It's a big decision, but you know your own body and desire what you want and what you want to look like down the road. Just take it one step at a time with each appointment. Don't let the fear take control of your destiny. I wish you the best on your future weightloss. You will not be disappointed.

Don't be scared of the PBing or getting sick because it does not happen to everyone. This is a big change towards a healthier you so do what you gut tells you but don't let some peoples horror stories dictate how your journey will go.

Good Luck

alot of the bad things that you hear are pretty rare. they just stand out alot more than the good things. it is kind of like a shark attack. when you think about how many people are out in the ocean in one year and compare it to how many people were attacked you would be amazed that there really isnt as many as you think. they stand out more in our minds because it is an unpleasant possibility. talk to you doctor and see what he/she thinks

Edited by vipertongue
mispelled a word

I was pretty leary at first as well. Had, of course, heard all the extreme stories. But as I read through this board and educated myself on the band and such the fear went away.

I've been banded since December 23rd and it is great. I'm loosing weight, living healthier, my clothes are all loose and falling off me...and I'm eating things I like. I've not had to "give up" anything really. I was never a big candy person, or soda person. I'm still drinking coffee (just smaller amounts and less frequently) than before and my meal sizes are way smaller than before (and I'm not missing anything)

I don't feel deprived or starved.

My advise to you is to learn as much as you can about Lapband. Visit this site, Obesityhelp.com and go to support groups.

LaniernCats, your concerns ar reasonable. I had the same concerns as well. The same fears.

I wanted to have healthy weight loss. I did not want to be malnourished or become anorexic. I did not want to be on a long term liquid diet and I wanted to fit in at social occassions with regular food.

I did not want to be the odd girl out whipping out a liquid Protein shake, while everyone else ate solid foods. Talk about awkward.

I really did voice these concerns to my doctor, nurse, and nutritionist, which they all assured me that the band would not cause me to become malnourished, but that a daily Vitamin regiment would be necessary.

As far as band issues, yes some people do have issues with their band, but there are many more people who do not have issues with their band. I have 4 fills and I have never been stuck. I have never slimed, vomited or bps with the band. I eat regular foods, but a whole lot less of it.

Good luck with your decision.

hi,

i just read your post and wanted to say don't be scared of getting a lap band.for the past few years i was scared about having it done too and never kept my 1st consult visits.well, one of my dear friends had the surgery done last year and is doing great. she has really encouraged me to get the band done. next friday i will have my first consult with a dr,my pcp has already sent my paper work to his office and i am going ahead with everything they tell me do.researching the band and reading testimonies have been great but in the end you will need to have a made up mind if you want to do this.

good luck!!

It is natural to be scared at first, we all are.

However, getting educated on the process is the first step. Seeing the doctor about it and having a thorough discussion along with following up by reading as much as you can will help to alleviate fear. I would definitely meet with your doctor regardless . . . there is nothing to fear in learning about it.

Being scared is perfectly normal. I too was scared because some people tend to dwell on the negative aspects instead of the positives ones. As for PBing, well I am 4 months out and I am proud to say I have not PB'd one time. (I was close a few times, because I was eating too fast) I am very careful of what I eat, and how I eat. As for the procedure it wasn't too bad. (a 45min surgery=a new and healthy life) Once you get past the liquid stage and move into the mushies things got better for me. Good luck, dont be scared and focus on your daily goals.

weight.png

Dr. Michael Snyder “Denver Bariatics”

Surgery date 10/9/08

1st Fill 11/11/08=3.5cc

2nd Fill 12/9/08=1.5cc

3rd Fill 1/9/08=.75cc

Total 5.75cc in a 14 cc band

hi

i haven't got the band yet, but im on my way, need one more dietianion class and im done, need to wait on insurance approval, but i feel like you, and people are right the more i learn about the band the less scared i am, learn all you can, go the the chat room. they can help too. ask alot of questions, from the experts ( the people who had it done) most of the people i have talked to don't regret it, and they would do it again, yes im scared, but i know whats down the road for me if i don't do something now, im 43 weight 258.2 lbs was 273 have lost some from the dieitian classes, i have arthritis, in both knees and ankles and i hurt so bad, just ask yourself a question why do you want to do this. make an educationed decisison, know what you are getting into, don't go into this blindsighted, research, research, research, that's what im doing, yes i will not know everything, until i have surgery,but i know what to expect, good luck to and your decision.

tammy

I am scared also, I just began my research and will soon attend a seminar. I am going to learn all I can and then make a decision concerning the surgery.

I was scared just before I was banded but I was excited at the same time. You have to remember that the banding is just the start of you path to reach your goals. :cursing:

I feel your nreves, I haven't been banded yet. But these post and posts on other boards like Obesity Help have alot of banders who share good stuff too. I also read a good book I got on Amazon .com called LAP-Band for life. It is written by a doc who got the band!! It's very easy to read and walks you through step by step.. I can't wait to start my new life...May22nd. Have faith in yourself.