Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

working out hard and eating right with no weight lost

I am getting so fustrated, I am eating right at around 1000 calories and in the GYM four days a week with 30 minutes of cardio and 45 of strenth training. In my opinion it is too early to hit a platue. I have not lost any weight in about two weeks. My last weigh in at my dr's office was Jan 13 and I have only lost 7 pounds since then. Should I be getting my tyroid checked? Please help, I need a boost of positive.

This happened to me a couple of times, even early on. For me it was just a matter of time before it got started again. I remember a two-week period when I did everything right (or so I thought), and nothing! Very frustrating. But it does eventually come off, sometimes several pounds at a time (e.g., in a week). Everyone is different, but I just want to encourage you, and let you know that plateaus can happen even early on.

It's still early, don't worry yet! Happens to us all, the beginning is hard. Which is why it's referred to as Bandster Hell! lol

Seeing that you were banded on 1/07/2009 I would be careful. I was told not to do anything for 6 weeks after surgery. You also have to realize that you have lost weight and your band is now looser around your stomach. Once you have a fill in the next couple of weeks your hard work will pay off. Also muscle weighs more than fat....i have lost weight but I also cut my body fat % by 10% which is huge in 9 weeks after surgery. I am down 44 lbs and got banded on 12/3/08. Stay positive and you'll be fine.

If you were banded in Jan it's way too early - have you even had a fill yet??? I've found that I'll spend 2 weeks at a certain weight, and then drop 4 lbs in a day - it's just strange like that.... lots of Water, good Protein, you know the drill. Keep your chin up.

I am getting so fustrated, I am eating right at around 1000 calories and in the GYM four days a week with 30 minutes of cardio and 45 of strenth training. In my opinion it is too early to hit a platue. I have not lost any weight in about two weeks. My last weigh in at my dr's office was Jan 13 and I have only lost 7 pounds since then. Should I be getting my tyroid checked? Please help, I need a boost of positive.

Actually, you sound like your on targert. You are losing 1-2 pounds per week, which is the average.

Please remember when increasing your exercise activity you lose fat, but gain muscle. Muscle weighs more, thus you might not move the scale down. But I bet you are losing lots of inches.

Additionally, when exercising it is important to keep your Protein levels up. Protein will help make you feel full and will help with muscle.

You might want to increase your calorie intake to 1,200 to 1,300 calories per day. I know it sounds odd, but when you are working out and consume more calories it helps with weight loss.

Good luck!

7lb since January sounds pretty good to me.

I'd say there's a lot of cases of plateaus that are really cases of unrealistic expectations. The weight does not just fall off, it can be quite slow and you dont want it to fall off anyway. No matter HOW much Protein you eat, if you're losing 4lb a week, you're losing muscle.

I agree with everyone else, just keep doing the right things and the results will come.

Reading some of the other posts made me think of "The Biggest Loser" this past week. Did anyone else see Jillian and Bob go off about the "myth" of gaining muscle and losing inches? They both said that it is a lie that trainers tell people to justify the scale not moving. I just thought that was interesting.

Good luck!

Steph:)

Of course its a lie, lol.

You'd be lucky as a woman to gain a few pounds of muscle over an entire year of dedicated working out. There is no way you start exercising and put on 3lb of muscle, its just not possible. In the same way as if you lost 8lb in one week, its not 8lb of fat.

when you first begin working out, the damage you cause to your muscles causes you to retain a bit of Water in them, that's all. But remember also, exercise in and of itself does not cause much weight loss, its diet that does that. The effect of exercise is more cumulative, over months and years of dedicated working out, you coax your body into its highest metabolic potential - good body composition, high energy expenditure, body cells that are adapted to the most efficient ways of using fat for fuel. None of that happens after a week or two of exercise. And nor do your muscles grow by 3lb.

sodium intake, time of the month, even ovulation all impact how and when i lose weight. I rarely lose when I ovulate or the week leading up to my period which leaves me with a two week window of opportunity to lose weight in any given month. I tend to lose in chunks then nothing for a while no matter how hard i am busting my ass. Just keep at it, your body will catch up eventually.

I hit a plateau for a few weeks, and was told to eat more. It didn't makes sense, but I increased from 1000 to 1200-1300. It got me off the plateau. And if you are working out, you are burning more cals- so your body is freaking out and storing up. Eventually you will start to loose- but muscle- not fat- if you are not eating at least 1200 cals. You body is just defending itself. It feels like all I do is eat- and this last week I lost 3.6 lbs. Try increasing cals for at least two weeks and let me know if that worked!!

Oh- and make sure they are good cals (veggies, meat, dairy)- not empty cals. I heard a glass of low fat milk before bed was good.

Edited by als74

Don't freak out because of what the scale says. Are you doing what you're suppose to do? Then relax and enjoy the ride....your body is going through some adjustments inside. Try measuring success by what you are able to do now. Are you doing more exercise (time, intensity) than two weeks ago? I bet you are! I've also been told it comes off slow 1 to 2 pounds a week. Have you tried to set goals other than the scale goal....focus on that besides eating healthy. As I'm writing this to you ...I'm thinking good advice why don't you try making a new goal yourself. I'm trying to remember it's a lifestyle change not just the scale. Keep on going sounds like your doing what needs to be done.

Edited by DebbieGail
Just wanted to add the date I got my band: 12/11/09

I have averaged about 1.5 pounds a week over the fourteen months since I've been banded. However, during that time there are months I've lost nothing and months I've lost over 10 lbs. Don't get discouraged and stick with it and the weight loss will eventually come. Remember your body will fight you all the way as it does like using onboard fat supplies, hence the reason for plateaus.