Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All! I live in NC. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO insurance. I saw the doctor a couple of weeks ago due to pneumonia. He suggested that we talk about weight loss surgery and asked that I make an appointment for a physical. He said that we could talk about our options then. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday to have the physical. After looking at information on this site I think that I am leaning towards going with a lap band. Can anyone offer me any advise on how to make the insurance process any easier. Just an FYI. I am 5'6" and weigh 250. My BMI is 41.8.

Hello All! I live in NC. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO insurance. I saw the doctor a couple of weeks ago due to pneumonia. He suggested that we talk about weight loss surgery and asked that I make an appointment for a physical. He said that we could talk about our options then. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday to have the physical. After looking at information on this site I think that I am leaning towards going with a lap band. Can anyone offer me any advise on how to make the insurance process any easier. Just an FYI. I am 5'6" and weigh 250. My BMI is 41.8.

If you are going to the doctor regularly there is a record of your past weights. They are also probably want a record of past weight loss attempts...WW, Jenny Craig, Atkins, weight loss medications. So, you may want to try to write those down with the approximate dates and weight loss amounts from each.

Advice for the psych eval, tell the truth. They normally ask the same type questions over and over in a different way. If you aren't truthful, it will mess you up.

I had BCBS also, it depends on the group plan you have, but my approval process was very quick and easy. Good luck.

I had BCBS as well. I have a high tier program, I only had to have the 6 month Dr/ Dietician appt. I had the mitigating problems with sleep apnea and Thyroid and borderline suger. Once I attended the seminar and started the process, the psyc eval, they required heart dr as well since I had taken the phen-fen 15 yrs ago. The insurance paid for all the visits minus the copay. Once the Dr had all the paperwork it was pretty quick. The he did the Stomach test for the H-pilory germ and then they set the surgery date.. Woo hoo I was stunned, it was fast. BCBS faxed them the Preauth. the same day they sent it in( the 2nd time) first time, a week earlier they sent to wrong fax... Surgery was billed as a $500 copay, a month AFTER my surgery. :thumbup:Mine was done in Pinehurst. Good luck, I would do it again. my bandiversary was Jan 18,09 1 yr. was a size 16/18 and now 6/8. 65 lbs gone forever!! 8.5 cc in 10 cc band.

:tongue: I started the Lap Band process today. I had a visit with my primary doctor. He thinks that the lap band is a great idea and was glad that I was open to his suggestion. He provided a referal to Dr. Bauman in Concord. I have filled out the new patient forms on Dr. Bauman's Website. Hopefully I will hear back from his office soon. I called my insurance company, BCBSNC and as long as I meet the criteria then the surgery is covered. My copay will be $100 for outpatient and $250 for inpatient. Hopefully I am on the road to a healthier and thinner me.

You will like Dr. Bauman. He is not much for bedside maners but he is alot of fun once he gets use to you. He just banded me a week ago. Most of his staff are good. I went with the Realize band because that is what he suggested for me. His preop diet is not bad either. I am about to die to really eat something. My BCBS was fast. It just took me longer to get the surgery date because of the holidays.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

I was banded by Dr. Bauman in August. He is very cut and dry and has a quirky sense of humor. He came highly recommended by my endocrinlogist. Surgeons tend to be that way. Dianne (the nutrionist is great). BCBS required weight history showing I had a BMI over 40 for multiple years. Dr. B just took over all of Dr. P patients as Dr. P moved to Matthews, so the office is busier than usual. I have had great results. Good luck.

You will like Dr. Bauman. He is not much for bedside maners but he is alot of fun once he gets use to you. He just banded me a week ago. Most of his staff are good. I went with the Realize band because that is what he suggested for me. His preop diet is not bad either. I am about to die to really eat something. My BCBS was fast. It just took me longer to get the surgery date because of the holidays.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Carolina Mom,

I'd love to chat with you. Bauman is banding me next Thursday. I like him a lot and trust him fully...have you been happy with your weight loss? How about his fills...would love to be band buddies! :-)

Woo Hoo!! :thumbdown:

I am finally approved. I will be banded on June 08. I wish it were sooner but this was the first appt available once I received my approval. Dr. Bauman will be doing the surgery. Counting down to 6/08/09.

Carolina Mom,

I'd love to chat with you. Bauman is banding me next Thursday. I like him a lot and trust him fully...have you been happy with your weight loss? How about his fills...would love to be band buddies! :-)

Stepanie1972, I emailed you my info so we can talk. Counting the days for you. Look forward hearing from you.

Carolina Mom:rolleyes2:

Woo Hoo!! :wink2:

I am finally approved. I will be banded on June 08. I wish it were sooner but this was the first appt available once I received my approval. Dr. Bauman will be doing the surgery. Counting down to 6/08/09.

I will be banded by Dr. Bauman tomorrow (June 18th). :) I've become addicted to reading the different posts on this website. Has Dr. Bauman said anything to you about when the first fill would be? Or how often fills would be available? I was just curious how Dr. Bauman specifically did fills. Thanks!

I am SO excited for you! This is a very fun journey. You will find Dr. Bauman and his nutritionists to be highly conservative but this will pay high dividends for you in the long run...I'm an advocate of Dr. Bauman and his philosophies. As far as the fills, he will do them NO MORE OFTEN than every 6 weeks. I had my first fill at the end of May. It was painless really...He does the fills directly in the office (although for my first one, he had trouble finding my port, so to be safe, he did it at the hospital under x-ray). All future fills will be done at his office...Do you have a heating pad and sugar free popsicles? The heating pad was my saving grace....

Dr. Bauman hasn't mentioned his process for fills. I had my 1 week check up on 6/15. My next appt with him is on 7/9. I am not sure if a fill will take place on that appt. I hope your surgery goes well.

Thanks you all! It's nice to hear from people who are also patients of Dr. Bauman. I'll keep you all posted.