Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else like me?

Hello All -

Please let me know what you think - often I post on here and do not get that many replies.

I was banded in April 08, I lost about 50 pounds. I have had 2 fills and have 4.6 CC in my 11CC band.

Now, I am not sure if I should get another fill, I want to. This is what I am thinking, I still feel like I can eat too much at one time if I eat slowly. I think I am a little confused - the more cc's you have in your band, does that mean it makes your pouch smaller? I guess in my head I just keep thinking that it makes the opening smaller and food will not pass as quickly and if I do get another fill I will be sliming like crazy again. I have definelty learned to eat much slower and my diet is better, but I still am working on making better choices.

DO you think I stretched out my stomach above the band and that is why I can sometimes eat too much?

Although a couple weeks ago I took all of my perscription medications with some yogurt and I couldn't keep them down - they got stuck. One of the pills was big (antibotic - strep throat).

Does anyone have an ideas or thoughts for me?

Hello All -

Please let me know what you think - often I post on here and do not get that many replies.

I was banded in April 08, I lost about 50 pounds. I have had 2 fills and have 4.6 CC in my 11CC band.

Now, I am not sure if I should get another fill, I want to. This is what I am thinking, I still feel like I can eat too much at one time if I eat slowly. I think I am a little confused - the more cc's you have in your band, does that mean it makes your pouch smaller? I guess in my head I just keep thinking that it makes the opening smaller and food will not pass as quickly and if I do get another fill I will be sliming like crazy again. I have definelty learned to eat much slower and my diet is better, but I still am working on making better choices.

DO you think I stretched out my stomach above the band and that is why I can sometimes eat too much?

Although a couple weeks ago I took all of my perscription medications with some yogurt and I couldn't keep them down - they got stuck. One of the pills was big (antibotic - strep throat).

Does anyone have an ideas or thoughts for me?

BSWhip

Congrats on your 50 lbs

1st of all I don't think you should concern yourself with how many cc's you have in your band - we can have the same size band and I can be at my sweet spot with 2 cc's and it could take you to 7 to get to yours - People on here are to worried about the number of cc's all that counts is that you have restriction..

Truly what is a real indication if you need a fill is how much you can eat at one sitting - by that I don't mean mashed potatoes - ice cream - chips - Cookies or anything soft - those are all slider foods and that band doesn't really restrict the amount of those foods you can eat...

What it does restrict is hard Proteins ie meat - I can eat anywhere from 1 c to 1.5 cups of food per meal - 4 oz meat 1/4 to 1/2 cup veggies (depending on what kind) and then 1/4 to 1/2 c rice for dinner - thats about 300 calories - I am physically full after this meal - I might not be mentally full -and that's where most of our problems lie - we don't eat cuz we are truly hungry - we eat for the joy of eating - the comfort of eating - the dull the pain from eating - for each of us it can be diff - but we really do eat just cuz it taste good..

Your band is only a tool to restrict your portions - it doesn't make your food choices for you - it doesn't exercise for you...

Losing weight is all about calories in vs calories burned - the band is in place to restrict/force you to stop eating - to make you full on a smaller amount of food - but you can eat around the band by eating high calories foods (fat & sugar) and slider foods and by grazing (eating something every couple of hours)

A fill doesn't make your pouch smaller it make the hole between your pouch & stomach smaller - to make you full faster.

We can't tell you if you have stretched your pouch only your doc can by running test.

Suggestion - keep a food diary - track your calories and that will tell you what you need to do - In my weight loss phase I ate between 800 - 1200 calories a day and I varied them and I exercised 4-5 times a week.

You need to learn to eat healthy & exercise for the weight to come off - this is a lifetime lifestyle change that only you can make - your band will help in making the change but IMHO it only does 25% of the work by providing restriction the other 75% is up to you by making good healthy food choices and exercise...

Talk to your doc - give him a copy of your food diaries that's what he's there for to help you - does his office have a support group and are you posting on your 4/08 LBT support group...

Can you tell me how to get my Ticker Factory inported into my profile -- Im computer illerate!! HELP!

Sure - click on this link - http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

It will take you to the thread that shows & tells you how to get a ticker

I just started on this web site. Just reading everyone's messages. It has been really informative and helped answer alot of my questions. I just not sure really how to use the site. But, I was banded only 2 weeks ago and I've had a lot of ???? s

What's your weight doing? If you're still losing steadily, then it does not really matter how MUCH you eat, if it's comfortable and you're choosing healthy and eating at appropriate times. If you eat 3000 calories a day but lose weight on it, then it is not overeating, is it?

But that said, when you feel you're beginning to eat more and you want to KEEP the weight coming off at a good rate, its normal and sensible to start thinking about a fill. But you're completely right, with increased restriction, will come more stuck episodes where you have trouble with someting. And with each new fill there is often another food that you have to cross off your list because you just cant eat it anymore. So save the fills for when you really need them.

In this way, even though I'd like to be 10 lb lighter, I am already a fairly low weight, and I know that if I get another fill it will be goodbye to the idea of eating any fresh fruit or raw vegies like salads. I have trouble with them as it is. And I dont think that's a worthwile trade off for what isnt even technically "excess weight".

it gets more and more like that the more restricted you get.

I just started on this web site. Just reading everyone's messages. It has been really informative and helped answer alot of my questions. I just not sure really how to use the site. But, I was banded only 2 weeks ago and I've had a lot of ???? s

Slim&healthy - Welcome - yes it takes some time to get use to but the more you are here the more you will know how to get around etc... Have you join the January 09 monthly support thread - Go do that and introduce yourself to other 1/09 banders - then just look around and ask questions - you will find someone who will answer - When I 1st joined I ck'd out the the banders who were banded in 7/06 - also since I am in the 50+ range :0) I posted alot their as they had pple who had been banded and could answer my questions.

#1 thing I learn on here (and I joined prior to being banded) is that our band is only a tool - it's not the magical cure to our issues with food...

Firstly don't worry about the fact that you haven't had many replies to your previous posts- this is such a busy forum and so many new threads each day, I couldn't keep up with all of them and most people just look at a few.

I am similar to you, although I have only been banded since November and had one fill so far and pretty good restriction from it so I am one of the lucky ones. I postponed my appointment for my second fill as I am busy and I am still losing. I also don't want to experience being over restricted as the one time I got stuck it was awful and the few times I have had sliming have not been nice either. I discussed it with my bariatric team and they said that if I am still losing to wait a while for my fill.

I know I can eat more than some bandsters (some seem to live on fresh air), but I like the fact that I can eat salad and veggies which some that I know can't. I don't eat ice cream and have managed to stay clear of chocolate mostly (just a few at Christmas) so I am going to wait until my weight plateaus before booking my fill.

I have lost 52lbs since my pre op diet started in August and gone down 3 clothing sizes so I feel I am not doing too bad.

Do let us know how you progress BSwhip, it is tough knowing what to do best and comparing yourself to other people who prefer their bands to be really tight isn't always helpful.

Very best of luck, you are doing great!

Sue

Ps just joined a gym for the first time and going along for my induction this morning -hoping that will help boost the weight loss

I was banded in May 08 and lost about 65 lbs. I began eating around the band over the Christmas holidays, and it has been very hard to get back to where I was.

I finally realized that the band is a tool and I had to work with it using diet and exercise. I have had several fills and unfills, and my most recent fill has given me a lot of restriction.

I am going back to early eating program I had just after surgery (no more Cookies, chips, nuts) -and will begin to exercise regularly.

This is not "magic" - it is a lifestyle change.

Tony

weight.png