Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shouldn't I have more energy?

Serious question everyone. I am exhausted, and have been ever since I started this journey. I am taking everthing I am supposed to, eating lots of Protein, vitimans, Water, getting 1200 of calories, etc.

I have a hard time getting up, and when I get home from work, I am so tired I have to fight not to pass out in my chair. I fight it, then when I lay down to go to bed, I can't sleep for some crazy reason. What is going on? This NEVER happened with ANY other diet I have been on- especially with high protein.

AND...

Can someone please tell my why the heck I am not supposed to have caffine? There better be a really good medical reason, cause I am suffering without some form of caffine.

If you are wondering, I am 5 weeks post op.

P.S. I am ornery (like PMS- but not).

The only 2 things you can do are to 1. disobey and drink like many do 2. call your doc and get permission to have 1-2 cups a day. My doc says no soda but coffee/tea are OK.

Best wishes-I couldn't do w/o my coffee so I feel for you.

Mimi

Hang in there. It took me a full 4+ months before I didn't feel like I needed a nap several times a day. It's all surgery. Are you sure you're getting enough of the B Vitamins? Double check, just in case.

To make sure I get enough, I take a liquid multi-B that includes a sublingual 12. A dropper full a day, held under the tongue for 30 seconds then swallowed. I'll know more about my numbers next week when I see my surgeon.

I don't know about the caffeine. My doc just says no calorie drinks.

Mood stuff tends to happen for some time after surgery as well. Again, hang in there.

All of a sudden, one day you'll realize that you're not as tired as you were and you haven't bitten any heads off in some time! LOL!

Best wishes!

Caffeine is not banned for me, I have as much as I like.

You're 5 weeks out. Its not unusual to not be feeling on top of the world. You've had probably what, 7 weeks, of very restricted diet (including pre op) and your reserves are all depleted and youv'e not yet lost the kind of weight that really makes your body FEEL different. You're also had surgery. Give it time, you will be feeling great in a couple of months, I promise.

Are you exercising? It sounds counterintuitive, but I get more energized when I can drag my tired body over to the treadmill.

My doc doesn't like caffeine, I drink it anyway. I would not drink it, however, just to get more energy. I too suffered from the lack of energy, even though I was drinking coffee. It is just natural to be zapped after having surgery.

I just had surgery again 5 weeks ago and I am exhausted after being up for 6 hours, I mean completely drained. I also hate feeling like this, and I have to return to my job teaching next week. Those kids are going to eat me alive!:(

Are you exercising? It sounds counterintuitive, but I get more energized when I can drag my tired body over to the treadmill.

Actually I know exactly what you mean. I can't wait to start working out. I work at a large school, and walk around there on any given day. I am going to start really working out as soon as I see my doc on the 2nd and get his ok:thumbup:

The B12 is a good idea. I take two multivitimans and two Calcium pills a day, but I never remember to take all four (cause I can't take them at the same time), so maybe I will ask my doc about some b12 shots...

My doc doesn't like caffeine, I drink it anyway. I would not drink it, however, just to get more energy. I too suffered from the lack of energy, even though I was drinking coffee. It is just natural to be zapped after having surgery.

I just had surgery again 5 weeks ago and I am exhausted after being up for 6 hours, I mean completely drained. I also hate feeling like this, and I have to return to my job teaching next week. Those kids are going to eat me alive!:(

I also teach, and went back to work after one week. It was kind of funny, because walking down the hall I felt like the walls were moving- I almost passed out- it was crazy. I told the kids about my surgery, and for the most part they took it easy on me. Now, if they start acting up really bad, I grab my stomach and bend with groaning. It is mean, but they stop to ask if I am ok and try to be good for a little while. LOL

I also teach, and went back to work after one week. It was kind of funny, because walking down the hall I felt like the walls were moving- I almost passed out- it was crazy. I told the kids about my surgery, and for the most part they took it easy on me. Now, if they start acting up really bad, I grab my stomach and bend with groaning. It is mean, but they stop to ask if I am ok and try to be good for a little while. LOL

I have to remember to do that!:thumbup: Mostly they are really great kids, but I fear they feel a little abandoned. I had a hysterectomy and they are 4th graders, so I didn't tell them before the holidays. I thought I was going back after three weeks, so I would've only missed one week of school. Unfortunately, I was re-hospitalized 4 days post op due to an infection and was on IV antibiotics for 3 days. That kinda kicked me in the butt. Going back to a job at school so soon is probably why you are exhausted. Your body didn't have time to recover and it is kind of mad at you!:( It should forgive you in the next week or so.:ohmy:

Well I had an issue 5-6 weeks out having no energy. Once you start eating solid meals and start to exercise the energy will come back. Remember your body is going through some major changes. Its adjusting to your new caloric intake. Before you know it you will be bouncing and can't sit still.:(

weight.png

Surgery date 10/9/08

1st Fill 11/11/08=3.5cc

2nd Fill 12/9/08=1.5cc

3rd Fill 1/9/08=.75cc

Total 5.75cc in a 14 cc band

I drink coffee with lots of caffeine, my doctor would prefer that I didn't because it is believed to stimulate the appetite. Anyway, my doctor knows I drink it and we just leave it at that.

As far as energy, your only five weeks out, I would imagine you body is still in recovery mode.

As far as Vitamins, my doctor recommended I take B12, which I place under my tongue and it melts away. B12 helps with energy. Additionally, exercise will boost up your energy as well. Keep up the Protein, at least 90 grams.