Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

U.S. Bariatrics thru me a Curve Ball

So today I went to U.S. Bariatrics in Ft. Lauderdale for my first fill. While I was there one thing they talked to me about was my diet, which I know I haven't been the best about, but they threw me a real curve ball in something I thought I was doing good with. No More oatmeal for breakfast! Ok so that really threw me off. They said that the oatmeal tends to turn into bad carbs so for now they don't want me eating anymore oatmeal in the mornings for Breakfast. Now here comes the real dilemma for me. I have been having oatmeal almost exclusive during the week for breakfast and I do get sick of eggs quickly. So now what do I have????

So far all I can think of is the following:

• cottage cheese with some fruit
  • scrambled egg with cheese and ham
  • yogurt with some fruit

Any ideas? Please help if you have some!!!

How about steel cut oats? I make a big batch at a time and freeze portions... Works well for me... And that is not empty carbs...

How about some sausage? That is good Protein. Or perhaps have a big of steel cut oats with a sausage link??

Honestly, these "organisations" are turning a good, sensible way to lose weight into more fad dieting.

Oatmeal magically turns into "bad carbs"?. What a load of bullshit, to be frank. ALL food is broken down, eventually into sugars - whether its Proteins, carbs or fats, because THAT's what your body runs on. Your brain needs glucose, but you dont die if you eat no carbs, do you? No, because your body is able to manufacture it from the foods you eat.

Oatmeal is a good, healthy food, packed with Vitamins and particularly important fibres that lower your blood cholesterol. Its a very valuable food to eat regularly. And it contains virtually no fat.

Yogurt and fruit would actually be a higher sugar meal than oatmeal - depending what you add of course. cheese and scrambled eggs gives you a nice hit of saturated fat to line your arteries - definitely not an every day food. No fibre either!

The point is, all your options that you've mentioned are all good meals but not perfect in and of themselves, same for oats. The idea is to eat a VARIETY of foods, different meals every day and where oats might be carb based one day, your eggs and cheese can be fat and Protein based the next. Mix it all up, eat everything in moderation and its completely untrue and VERY stupid to suggest that you need to cut out a healthy food as if that and only that food is what determines your weight.

Of course you should eat your oatmeal in its natural form - rolled oats (or steel cut, I believe you call them). But there is no reason to cut it out.

Edited by Jachut

Concur...the steel cut oats are a whole grain. Especially if you have them with a few nuts and some skim milk, it's a very healthy breakfast. Instant oatmeal is more of a simple carb and harder to defend.

Unless you're having problems with your blood sugar it's hard to take issue with what you're doing- you've lost 77 lbs in less than 2 months, so it's working for you, and whole grains are an important part of a balanced diet.

Keep up the good work Pete!

Thanks all for the advice. I had a hard time believing them when they told me that oatmeal was not good for me at this time. They mentioned about having that later on. Oh and the rant is perfectly fine. We all do that from time to time! LOL

I think what I need to do like already mentioned is mix my breakfast options up some more. Maybe oatmeal one day with yogurt the next eggs with a cheese and meat one day and even throw in some cottage cheese with a fruit or vegetable another. More of a balance between the days instead of the heavy oatmeal that I have been doing pretty much daily.

I do agree that I think a lot of the weight loss centers do tend to lean towards fad diets and what they feel is best for the "now". One thing I have worked hard on was changing my whole eating lifestyle to be a healthier lifestyle. Pretty much cutting out most of the breads and pastas and eating more vegetables along with good choice on meats and lower fat products instead of the fulls fats that I was eating before. I know that before I was eating lots of carbs, high fats, and extreme quantities. It has worked very well for me to change my eating lifestyle rather then jump on a fad diet program. Like so many have it's about making the band work for you and making better choices in your life.

Pete,

You're approaching the band the right way. Don't EVER approach it like some diet or meal plan. You have to do what works for you in your life. If oatmeal works for you, and you don't gorge yourself on it, then do it. You have to make the band work for you, don't you work for your band! I think that is why a lot of people fall short on their weight loss journey, they make a lot of decisions to work FOR the band vs. work with the band. Big difference. Mixing your meals up is always a good thing, but if you are getting nutrients throughout the day, it doesn't really matter the order you do it in.

Try the steel cut outs. You'll have to look for them at the store. Most grocery stores have them, you just have to look. They are often NOT by the oatmeal, but in a 'healthy' section, or section where they have the organic foods, or gluten free foods. It takes 30 mins to make a batch and follow the instructions to a 't'.' I stand at the stove constantly stirring, cause they can easily burn. Once you make them, divide them up into rubbermaid containers and freeze them. I take them out of the freezer the night before and put them in the fridge. Stick them in the microwave with some milk on top, and your 'dressing' (I like nuts, raisins, some brown sugar) and you're good to go. Anyone I know agrees that steel cut oats have a much better flavor than regular instant oatmeal. I know you'll love it.

Jamba juice just started offering steel cut outmeal with a variety of toppings; I had a free sample yesterday with berries and it was great. Of course not as good as making your own, but it'll do in a pinch. You can also buy frozen single servings of steel cut oats. Dont' remember the brand name off the top of my head.

Florida Pete, is it the oatmeal or the sugar often added to oatmeal they object to? All food has some carbs. oatmeal is also high in Fiber, and B Vitamins - talk to a registered dietitian. The new term may be nutritionist but one doesn't need training or a license to be a nutritionist, but a dietitian does. If the concern is the about possibility of sticking- Try Cream of Wheat- also with fiber but finer grained and less likely to get stuck.- again add your own SF sweetener. Myself, really am rushed in the AM and stick to some Protein in milk.