Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total confused the more I read!!!

:tt2: I am starting to get totally confused. I had surgery 1/14/09 and was given a packet of information regarding post-op diet. I also had to attended two seminars and one long meeting with a dietitian concerning post-op diet. All of the info I recieved has me already on soft food, but I keep reading people being on a full liquid diet for almost a month. I have followed my doctors plan to the "T", but now am wondering if the info he gave me was the best. I saw him on Monday and he told me that by the weekend I would be able to eat almost anything I wanted but don't. To eat healthy and small portions and to chew my food really really well. He said that I wouldn't have any restrictions, because he didn't place any Fluid in my band due to swelling. I have my first fill on 2/16. I have the realize band, which I think is 10cc, does any of that make a difference on why I was not put on liquids for a month?? I just want to make the best decisions even if they are counterdicting to me doctor. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Do what YOUR doctor says. This place is great but the "evidence" isn't scientific, just anecdotal. What's right for someone here isn't necessarily right for you. The realize band is placed differently ... and is HELD in place differently. I don't think it's stitched in but rather clamped into place (not sure....not a doc! just read a lot) if so, digesting real food won't give you the issues others face,

Please, trust YOUR doctor and do what he says, bottom line. :tt2:

Your surgeon is the best one for that. There are several different opinions, some vary strongly. Certainly around here you will get lots of voices telling you that "my doctor says..." , or "my surgeon says..." You get a lot of good insite...

But your best bet is always follow your doctor. And if you have questions, ask them first. And if they don't give you an answer, ask again... Heck, you're paying them to do that. Then, when you get the answer, follow it. It might not be fun, but it is the best way to make it work.

I agree with the others, there are many many different opinions on the optimal post-diet while you are healing. For instance, I was on full liquids for a week (some people have said they are on Clear Liquids the first week), mushies for two weeks, then regular food.

The Realize Band (RB) is a 9cc band. The port has a locking mechanism, but, generally, from what I understand, the band is stitched in place. At least, that's the way my RB was placed. Also, the RB is designed to be placed with no fill. I wasn't hungry at all the first two weeks, I'm sure because of swelling. Toward week four, I started feeling more hunger, but it wasn't close to the "bandster hell" some people experience. I got my first fill at 6 weeks.

Hello, I am with you! I was banded on 1/13 and EVERYONE on this site has a different diet. I went for my post op on 1/19 and my Dr. said there is no set standard... I asked why some people can eat after 1 week etc. I am/was on liquids

2 weeks prior, 2 weeks after... I get mushies on 1/27 I can NOT wait. He let me know that every Dr. has found that different things work for different people, he has put in place standard rules for everyone no matter how much they have to loose etc. and the diet restrictions are the same for both bands.. so in other words, it is not customized for each person just set rules he has in place that he thinks is best. BUT you know what they say EVERYONE has an opinion :crying:

DO what your doctor suggests, he would not jepordize your health or your band... AND you are doing GREAT, you should be VERY proud. You have come a long way and your weight loss if through the roof :tt2: Do not doubt yourself or your doctor, and be thankful that you are not in liquid HELL (hehe) I am jealous.

Your surgeon sounds kinds lenient like mine is. Just follow his plan and you should be fine. Oh, and be thankful. :tt2:

:tt2: I am starting to get totally confused. I had surgery 1/14/09 and was given a packet of information regarding post-op diet. I also had to attended two seminars and one long meeting with a dietitian concerning post-op diet. All of the info I recieved has me already on soft food, but I keep reading people being on a full liquid diet for almost a month. I have followed my doctors plan to the "T", but now am wondering if the info he gave me was the best. I saw him on Monday and he told me that by the weekend I would be able to eat almost anything I wanted but don't. To eat healthy and small portions and to chew my food really really well. He said that I wouldn't have any restrictions, because he didn't place any Fluid in my band due to swelling. I have my first fill on 2/16. I have the realize band, which I think is 10cc, does any of that make a difference on why I was not put on liquids for a month?? I just want to make the best decisions even if they are counterdicting to me doctor. Any advice would be appreciated!!

I was also given the Realize band and banded on the 14th:smile2:

I was sooooo shocked at how different everyones pre/post diet are. they really run the complete spectrum!

Since you are a to the T person--can you email or call the dietitian and get a more exact diet you can follow? I got three sheets of paper with suggested items (I started mushies at one week out) and a list of items to stay away from. It's nice to have that, very nice!

Also--DAMN GIRL! look at how well you've done so far!!!

I was also banded with the Realize Band on January 14th!

I don't have my first fill until February 25th, but so far so good. I'm on soft foods for another week and a half. Then I can start 'normal' foods.

Everyone's diet is different. All of our bodies are different. I'd listen to your doctor!

Dear Confused, Just to tell you how different each Doctor & clinic are. I gained weight pre-op. The day before surgery I was allowed to have a last supper. Mine was prime rib. On Jan. 15th, 2008. Liqiuds of broth & Jello for 20 days. Then, eggs & solids & back to what is now normal. I can eat anything. I still have my prime rib, but less than a 4 ozs. Only 3 meals a day. I battle & usually beat the hunger monsters each night. Follow your own Doctors advice. Now is the time & place for you & your new band to go where you have not been before. It is a lot of fun for me!:tt2::thumbup::crying: Hasta Pronto, George

I agree with the other posters. Follow your doctor's instructions and you should be okay. Congrats on the surgery and good luck with your journey.

I was one of the lucky ones, too. 1 week of clears, then right on to mushy food for a week, then 'real food' by the third week. Count your blessings.

My doc is a recognized leader in the field, has done thousands of surgeries...so I'm not at all worried that he is inexperienced or exercising bad judgment by not exactly following the recommendations on the websites of the companies that manufacture the bands.

Know that the way FDA works the company info for the device has to echo the approach used in the clinical trial that resulted in the device approval, so that even as standard of care evolves the company info won't change unless they do additional trials with new approach and apply to the FDA. The evolution in practice is the device equivalent of 'off label prescribing'; it is common to see a disconnect. What the docs do often reflects clinical experience and evolving practice after the initial approval.

Thanks for all the advice! After reading some of your comments, I noticed some were on a similar pre-op post-op diet as I was. Its just re-assuring to know my doctor isn't the only one with this particular diet regimen. Thanks!

:thumbdown: I am starting to get totally confused. I had surgery 1/14/09 and was given a packet of information regarding post-op diet. I also had to attended two seminars and one long meeting with a dietitian concerning post-op diet. All of the info I recieved has me already on soft food, but I keep reading people being on a full liquid diet for almost a month. I have followed my doctors plan to the "T", but now am wondering if the info he gave me was the best. I saw him on Monday and he told me that by the weekend I would be able to eat almost anything I wanted but don't. To eat healthy and small portions and to chew my food really really well. He said that I wouldn't have any restrictions, because he didn't place any Fluid in my band due to swelling. I have my first fill on 2/16. I have the realize band, which I think is 10cc, does any of that make a difference on why I was not put on liquids for a month?? I just want to make the best decisions even if they are counterdicting to me doctor. Any advice would be appreciated!!

I would suggest that you follow YOUR doctor's advice and not pay attention to anything else. You will find that there are about as many diet plans on here as there are doctors. Yes, it can be confusing, but you should trust that your doctor knows what he/she is doing. Look at their success record. If they have a lot of successful outcomes, they must know what they are doing. My doctor also has allowed solid foods MUCH faster than some people on here, but they have a failure and complication rate of less than 1 percent. They MUST be doing something right!

You need to listen to what your doctor tells you. I found out at the support group meeting that patients done by the same doctor may have been given different instructions so at my first post-op appt. I asked him about it. First thing, he has changed some of his instructions from when he did a band lets say for example a year ago. Secondly, the instructions given pre-op are general instructions. These may change once the surgery is actually done. There may have been complications, something he found once he was in there, etc. Or you may be one of the lucky ones and everything go as he said about my surgery "about as perfect as I could have hoped for". Then things can change down the road like they have for me. Bummer! I was losing a significant amount of weight the first 3 months post op and now I swear I just lose and gain the same 2 pounds. Seems like I am stuck at this plateau. I go for another fill in a few weeks so I am hoping that it helps. But we all know this is a long journey, not a quick fix so I am being patient. If quicker was my only consideration I would have chosen bypass. I had many variables that made me decide on the band instead so I will take it slow and steady. Good luck and hang in there. You are doing super fantastic.