Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year in questions about fills and what happens next

Ok I was banded almost a year ago. I have a few questions that I've tried to address with my doctor, but he always seems to talk in circles and I'm still confused when I leave his office. So I decided to come here and get everyone else's input. I want to know if my lapband experience has been normal.

1.) Did everyone get a fill every 6 weeks? I was scheduled to visit the doc every 6 weeks for checkups and ended up getting fills everytime b/c my restriction seemed to only last about 4 weeks.

2.) Did anyone reach their maximum limit in their band at the end of the first year or before? I have a 14cc band and I now have 10cc in it and he said that most people can't tolerate more than that so that means I possibly can't get anymore fills which kind of freaks me out.

3.) Is there anyone else out there who doesn't throw up when they eat too much? I have never thrown up after eating too much but most ppl on here say they do. I get uncomfortable and feel really bad if I eat way too much, but never throw up.

4.) Does anyone else's port spot feel kind of bruised all the time? I asked the doc about that and he said it was normal but it's been a year so I thought it was weird.

Thanks in advance for anyone else who shares their experience!

I am 6 months post op.

• My port area is still tender.
  • Everyone is different. I don't need a fill every 6 weeks, I have only had 2.
  • Some people go up to and even a little over the capacity of their band. Just because he tells you most people can only tolerate 10cc does NOT mean he shouldn't give you another fill if you need it.
  • I never pbd, even if I ate a little more than I should have, until after having my hysterectomy which caused my band to be a little too tight.

Please encourage your surgeon to work with you if you feel you need another fill. Oh, and be THANKFUL that you don't get sick when you overeat. It doesn't feel very good.

1.) Did everyone get a fill every 6 weeks? I only needed two fills to get to my original sweet spot - but they were really big feels. If I was only getting fractions of a cc each time - it would have taken a very large number to get there.

2.) Did anyone reach their maximum limit in their band at the end of the first year or before? I was as high as 8.3 cc's in a 9 cc band.

3.) Is there anyone else out there who doesn't throw up when they eat too much? I definitely will pb if I eat too much. There is a "soft" limit where I am uncomfortable and a "hard" limit where it just has to come back up again.

4.) Does anyone else's port spot feel kind of bruised all the time? I still have occasional soreness, nothing major.

It really just doesn't sound like you have reached you sweet spot. You probably need another fill.

When you get close to your sweet spot, very small fills are all that are needed. Once you reach your sweet spot, you will absolutely know it because you will immediately be able to feel it.

Thank you for sharing. I have been wondering about this. I am still tender in teh port spot. Bugs if I have been laying on it or if bumped. Also, it seems to be more tender if I eat to much.

I was banded 10/23/08, but thought I'd answer even though I'm only several months out.

1.) Did everyone get a fill every 6 weeks?

No -- I go whenever I feel like I need a fill. Have been trying to get to ideal restriction and I haven't even gone 4 weeks between fills yet. My doctor is fine with this.

2.) Did anyone reach their maximum limit in their band at the end of the first year or before?

N/A -- but I've heard that the bands can actually take more then their supposed capacity. I defer to your Dr. on this! I'm at 2.5 ccs in a 5 cc band as of this afternoon.

3.) Is there anyone else out there who doesn't throw up when they eat too much?

Not me -- definitely throw up. It's not like a normal throw-up, but it does happen.

4.) Does anyone else's port spot feel kind of bruised all the time?

No -- I only felt bruised after one fill where I went to a nurse who didn't know WTF he was doing. When my doctor does it, I'm totally fine afterwards. That nurse really pushed on my port though & moved it around, and I was sore for a whole week!

I hope that's helpful! Maybe you need a new doctor.

Best wishes,

Catherine

1.) Did everyone get a fill every 6 weeks? I was scheduled to visit the doc every 6 weeks for checkups and ended up getting fills everytime b/c my restriction seemed to only last about 4 weeks.

I got a couple of fills at two weeks, and another at four weeks.

2.) Did anyone reach their maximum limit in their band at the end of the first year or before? I have a 14cc band and I now have 10cc in it and he said that most people can't tolerate more than that so that means I possibly can't get anymore fills which kind of freaks me out.

I'm close to my max fill at four months.

3.) Is there anyone else out there who doesn't throw up when they eat too much? I have never thrown up after eating too much but most ppl on here say they do. I get uncomfortable and feel really bad if I eat way too much, but never throw up.

So far, I haven't eaten way too much, but I've never thrown up or PB'ed, although I'm close to my max fill in my band.

4.) Does anyone else's port spot feel kind of bruised all the time? I asked the doc about that and he said it was normal but it's been a year so I thought it was weird.

Only very seldom does my port area feels a little tender. I have a low profile port.

Hi Zetajenn:

1. I see my doctor every 4-weeks and if I need a fill I get one.

2. I have a 10cc band with 5cc in it. I was banded in Nov. 2008. And I was filled at surgery and two other time in the office. Three fills altogther now.

3. I never over eat. I have read enough threads on this web site to scare me straight from over eating. Thus, I have not thrown up.

4. The only time I have a sore port area is when I increase the activity level of my exercise routine.

I am getting my first fill on monday (26th) And was told that 4cc would go in (standard 10cc band) right off the bat! Not sure how that's gonna go, will update..

Catherine55, how come you have a 5cc band? I have never heard of this size before..

Edited by klutzyazhel

I am getting my first fill on monday (26th) And was told that 4cc would go in (standard 10cc band) right off the bat! Not sure how that's gonna go, will update..

Catherine55, how come you have a 5cc band? I have never heard of this size before..

I think 4ccs is probably standard for the 10cc band, that is what my friend got at her first fill. I asked for less because I didn't think I needed 4cc. The PA put 2ccs in and had to immediately take 1cc out because Water wouldn't go down easily. Everyone is different. I still only have 2ccs in and I was banded 6 months ago.:thumbup:

I think PBing would also depend on what you are eating. I know I could eat mashed potatoes or pudding till the cows came home and probably never PB. BUT, if I can only eat a few bites of regular food and I am done. I will PB every time if I don't really watch what I eat, how fast I eat, and how much I chew.

It also depends on the day and the TIME of day as well. I can't eat anything in the morning but I can drink. I can eat better after about the first 2-3 hours awake.

My fills are being scheduled for every 4 weeks at this point and we are doing small ones. I am somewhere between 2 and 3 ccs. I can't tolerate anymore than that yet. I have an 11 cc band.

Questions:

*I have had a fill every 4-5 weeks after the initial 30 visit. Iam 1 year out jan 18.

* I have 8 cc in a 10 cc band. I mostly feel full whenI eat. a normal 3 oz Protein, and veggies and WW bread, then I am done!

*I don't throw up when I overeat. I am normally in pain. this is the only time I tend to have some soreness around my port. It must be due to the over eating, come hand in hand.

My restriction normally kicks in on day 6 after a fill, 2 day liquids and 2day mushy, then next couple of days I have to be really carefull how and what I tend to eat.. usually last a couple of weeks. Now I really don't have the hunger I nce did. If I do I eat a pc of fruit, clementime or samll apple and chew , chew chew, great Fiber. holds me about 3 hours.

Wow what is wrong with me???

I can eat 1/4 c mashed potatoes and feel like i d better stop===but just ate 16 butterfly shrimp with no restriction-not full /just comfortable/the most i ve ever eaten. I don t even know why.

I had a fill and unfil a month ago with what seemed like good restriction....and the last few days things seem to go down too easy. I have 7.2 in a 10cc band.

Could i need a fill already? Help..

Wow what is wrong with me???

I can eat 1/4 c mashed potatoes and feel like i d better stop===but just ate 16 butterfly shrimp with no restriction-not full /just comfortable/the most i ve ever eaten. I don t even know why.

I had a fill and unfil a month ago with what seemed like good restriction....and the last few days things seem to go down too easy. I have 7.2 in a 10cc band.

Could i need a fill already? Help..

You may need a fill. Somtimes it only takes .5cc to tweak your band to get you good restriction.