Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Stuck capsule!!

I took a new herbal capsule first thing this morning (instructions said on empty stomach) and it has been stuck for almost 4 hours! I have never had food stuck and have not had a problem with taking my few meds up to this point (sometimes I feel them for a short while, but they go down ok). This is terrible. It doesn't really hurt, but feels horrible there. I can swallow fluids ok and tried hot liquids thinking it would dissolve, but that didn't help. I had a full glass of Water right after taking the capsule. I have not dared take my regular meds or try to eat food with it stuck. I have tried some of the "stuck food" remedies I read on here to no avail (head down, pound chest, coughing it up, finger down throat just a little). Does anyone have any more ideas? I would think it would just dissolve since the capsule is veg. based. Should I try to take regular meds? Thanks in advance!!

Oh, I forgot, but I also ate a pudding right after when I felt it stuck.

What's IN The capsule? Is it something that might be caustic? (for example, you don't want an aspirin hanging around and dissolving)

Have you tried warm or hot liquids? If not, give that a shot.

AND...it's possible it has dissolved but your stomach is just agitated.

I'd give the warm/hot (tea, coffee, Water heated in micro, Water with a little lemon) liquid a shot.

What's IN The capsule? Is it something that might be caustic? (for example, you don't want an aspirin hanging around and dissolving)

Have you tried warm or hot liquids? If not, give that a shot.

AND...it's possible it has dissolved but your stomach is just agitated.

I'd give the warm/hot (tea, coffee, Water heated in micro, Water with a little lemon) liquid a shot.

OMG, I was wondering about that! It's called paranil, a liver and colon purifying complex, supposed to kill parasites or anything else one would not want hovering inside them.

OMG, I was wondering about that! It's called paranil, a liver and colon purifying complex, supposed to kill parasites or anything else one would not want hovering inside them.

I don't think it's dissolved because I still feel it every time I swallow

Experiment with another one of the capsules by putting it in different liquids to see which one dissolves it the fastest. Try hot tea with lemon or Decaf coffee or hot choc. Stay away from your reg. meds until this has cleared unless it's absolutely necessary - like heart meds or diabetic meds. Who knows? Another pill might dislodge it. Call your doctor tomorrow to see what he/she thinks.

Experiment with another one of the capsules by putting it in different liquids to see which one dissolves it the fastest. Try hot tea with lemon or Decaf coffee or hot choc. Stay away from your reg. meds until this has cleared unless it's absolutely necessary - like heart meds or diabetic meds. Who knows? Another pill might dislodge it. Call your doctor tomorrow to see what he/she thinks.

Ah, that sounds like an idea to try. I will do that right now. I already drank coffee and that didn't do it. Thanks

You must be a science major as that was a very good idea and showed me exactly what the problem is, trouble is I don't know if I can help it. I put a capsule in hot tea w/lemon, hot chocolate, and hot chicken broth. The capsule floats on top and does not even begin to dissolve in the broth or tea. The hot choc did froth a bit over it and it started to dissolve a bit, but stays quite intact and hard. I put a glucosamine capsule of the same size and outer comp. in the hot tea. It floated a couple minutes, then sank to the bottom, and dissolved with a few minutes. I will be drinking hot cocoa the next couple hours, but now I fear I will just have to find a way to bring that capsule back up because by looking at them in that hot liquid all this time, I don't think it's going down. Now, please, anyone have any ideas for making me vomit or pb or whatever I should do. I have only vomited a couple times in my life and I'm not very good at it!

I'd toss those pills out (not that that'll help you right now....and you've probablly already done so!) because they obviously won't dissolve to help you any and may be harmful! The problem with killing stuff off that lives inside us is this: We have good bacteria that lives there. Plus, us...our cells etc. You take something that will kill "parasites and other stuff"...it will also kill your good stuff. It's very dangerous. (as an aside that's one reason cancer is hard to treat. What we can do to kill the cancer cells also kills the healthy tissue).

I wish I could help you with the vomiting: I'm really not much at it either. Honestly a pharmacist might be able to help you. Good luck! I'm so sorry this happened to you; and why do these things ALWAYS happen when the doc is closed?

Oh my goodness! I feel sorry for your situation. I hope you get that cleared up soon. One time when I was eating chicken I forgot to eat really chew it up and swallowed. I had the immediate thought that maybe it was going to get stuck. Thankfully it didn't but I was already thinking of what I would do. I think if anything ever gets stuck, I will get on our inversion table (one of those things you hang upside down from your feet on), and hopefully that will bring it up! Don't know if you have access to one of those tables, but I wonder if that might not help get stuff unstuck. Has anyone else ever tried that to get something unstuck?

I'd toss those pills out (not that that'll help you right now....and you've probablly already done so!) because they obviously won't dissolve to help you any and may be harmful! The problem with killing stuff off that lives inside us is this: We have good bacteria that lives there. Plus, us...our cells etc. You take something that will kill "parasites and other stuff"...it will also kill your good stuff. It's very dangerous. (as an aside that's one reason cancer is hard to treat. What we can do to kill the cancer cells also kills the healthy tissue).

I wish I could help you with the vomiting: I'm really not much at it either. Honestly a pharmacist might be able to help you. Good luck! I'm so sorry this happened to you; and why do these things ALWAYS happen when the doc is closed?

Believe me, you do not need to tell me not to take another one of these capsules. I only still have them due to the experiment and in case I need to show the DR!! I am on my third cup of Hot chocolate already and no relief yet. It has dissolved most of the way in the H.C. cup after nearly an hour, but is still intact in the tea. This has to work. If not, maybe this much H.C. will make me bring it up!

OK JMS I had to laugh at your hot cocoa comment; for me one is plenty, 2 is too many, so I feel your pain. I hope it resolves very very soon. And seriously a pharmacist can give you something to make you vomit (ipecac for example) but I'm sure you don't want to if you can help it (especially this soon post op!)

What about doing a head stand on the couch with someones help of course because I wouldn't be able to do one by myself. Maybe that will help. I will also take my meds and Vitamins in liquid or chewable form when I get banded..Getting something stuck scares me to death...YIKES!!!!

How about a heating pad on the outside of your stomach? Is there a steam sauna near by? Anything to raise the core temperature may make it pass.