Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with Cigna been approved Recently?

I've got a couple more months of my 6 month supervised diet left. I've been jumping through all the insurance hoops and think I'm on track.

I'm just curious if anyone who has Cigna insurance has been approved recently? Was it a hard process, or if you fulfilled all the requirements did you get approved right away? Just curious what kind of experiences you have had if you are under Cigna.

I just keep being told Cigna is about the most difficult insurance to get approved through. So I'm a little nervous!

I got approved through Cigna last month.

It was my second attempt. I got denied the first time because I had chosen the wrong doctor/hospital combination. It was my own fault for not calling them to ask them about what was covered under "my" plan. I had gotten a referral from my main doc and called that surgeon and asked if they "took cigna" - they said yes, so I went through the 6 month process with them.

The thing is, my particular plan didn't cover them, so 6 months later when we submitted, I was denied. So I had to start over with a new surgeon.

I didn't really have to start over. All the paperwork I had done and ready was valid with the new surgeons office. They submitted it on a Friday in December, and I got the approval the following Tuesday. VERY FAST! My new surgeon's office almost didn't trust the response it was so fast.

I had my surgery last Tuesday and am doing well.

Yes, Cigna was difficult, but once you have your 'I's dotted and your 'T's crossed, they came through like lightning.

Make sure you fulfill their coverage position pdf and have selected a doc/hospital combination that they approve (you need to call to be sure), and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

I have CIGNA and actually work for them; not that that makes any difference. I did all the paperwork, 6 mos of phys supervised diet, psych eval, the whole nine yards. I'm nervous too. My doctor submitted for authorization last Thursday (1/15/2009). I am very nervous. I have heard the same thing about CIGNA being hard. I'm nervous because my BMI is slightly below 40 but I have high blood pressure and cholesterol, and am borderline diabetic. But I was reading the CIGNA coverage position and it says that if your conditions like high blood pressure,etc.. are manageable, then they don't really count. Mine do seem to be manageable with the use of medications. So, I'll just have to see. I'm trying to prepare for the denial and find out how and what to do when they do deny me. The whole process is a bunch of BS. I'll post when I either get approval letter or denial. Should be something in the next couple of days I'd imagine.

I have Cigna and my policy excludes all weight loss procedures. Very frustrating. I'm still going to have the surgery self pay. $9950 :redface:

My insurance person just submitted my info today. However, she did not give them my 5 year weight history. I was ticked off since she knew I will give her all the history tomorrow. She said she just wanna know if it will flies. I'll let you know what happen.

Alisa

tcb girl, I hope all goes through with Cigna...although I thought you only had to have 24 months of proof for your BMI/weight? Your insurance person may have already had all the info she needed. They seem to know how it all works backwards and forwards.

Richj, I am curious how you are doing since it's been a bit since your surgery?