Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting off the meds

Hi all -

Those of you previously on medication for various co-morbidities - how long until you were able to go off of them - if you were?

(That is one poorly worded question - sorry)

I have diabetes and high blood pressure. Just recently I was taken off one of the two diabetes drugs. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should talk to my g.p. about lowering my dosages on the blood pressure meds.

I had a near fainting spell in the bathroom the other morning when I tried to take my pulse using the carotid in my neck. I've been taking my blood pressure, and while it is not technically low - it's lower than I'm comfortable with. It's been averaging about 100 to 110 / 65 to 75. The other morning it was 95/65. I'm wondering if it's part of the reason I'm feeling not so hot.

So - how much weight did you lose before you started being able to shed prescriptions?

I was on MetforminER 2000 MG per day for PCOS. I went off it on my own immediately after surgery because I couldn't swallow the pills (ER cannot be split).

I had my six month visit with my Endocrinologist 2 1/2 weeks post-op so I decided to just wait until then to discuss another medication...it was no longer doing much to control my PCOS symptoms anyway. In less than a week my cycle started without the Metformin. My endo decided to let me stay off the meds and follow up in four months. In that four months my cycle was every 28 days on the nose and my other PCOS symptoms were going away. Bloodwork showed no sign of PCOS or blood sugar issues.

The only other medication I was on is Synthroid, of course I will always be on that but after losing around 60 pounds my dosage had to be lowered.

My Blood pressure dropped from 130/84 to now,102/68. regular basis. Synthroid was cut in half at 3 months. I am now 11 months and 26 days out. feel great exercise 2x day total 2.5 hrs. Soon, much less medication!!

I have heard several people state that they are taking less meds now. I would check with the doctor if you are feeling faint. You may not need it anymore. Would that not be wonderful. My SIL had bypass and she does not take her meds anymore.

I was on Altace 10 mgs and was told to take my bp 3x a day after being banded. I saw it go down daily. This I was told was due to the low carbs i was consuming compared to before. Anyhow, I was off my bp meds in less than a month. I saw my doctor and showed him my journal and told him I was feeling very weak and tired ---very weakkkkk. That was it---I am off and feel great!

I am also on Crestor 5 mgs and need to wait till Feb for bloodwork to see if I can get off of that too!

Please see your doctor--it sounds like you need to.

Edited by Bella5

After I lost about 50 pounds I was able to reduce my blood pressure medication from twice a day to once a day. It's ever so slowly continuing to drop. The doctor told me once it dipped below 100/50, it was time to get off it or reduce the one dose even further. I'm at about 110/65 now. At 50 pounds lost, I also reduced the dose of my thyroid medication. Not sure at this point if I will ever get off of it completely. I just recently, at 70 pounds lost, got off my bladder control medication. My OB/GYN told me that once I lost all the belly fat in my abdomen, I may not need it. He said the fat put weight and pressure on my bladder and made it more difficult to control. He was right. I've been off it now for about 6 weeks and I'm doing really good. The plus side of this is I've discovered that this particular medication was causing my chronic Constipation. A nasty side effect. I'm feeling better than I have in a LONG time.

During my surgery, they found a hiatal hernia which he repaired. I also have high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid disease and acid reflux. Immediately after coming home from surgery, I was told to take my blood sugar 2x per day and if it was below a certain number, I would not have to take diabetes meds (2 pills per day). I have not had to take 1 diabetes pill since my surgery on 12/23/08....and also no acid reflux meds (the repair of the hernia took care of that). I went to my family doctor on Monday and she took me off another med. At the beginning of February, I am having blood work done to determine if my other meds need to be adjusted. You should definitely call about your bp....when mine was low, I was dizzy...and starting to black out. Take care of yourself and good luck on your journey!

:sneaky:

Thanks all. I'm going to have a hard time fitting in another appointment into my schedule for the next week or so, but I guess I'll force myself to do so. Maybe I'll get lucky and come back down another prescription.

Thanks for the information.

I am glad to hear so many people state that they are getting off some of the meds. That is the main reason why I decided to have the surgery. I hate taking a handful of pills twice a day and 3 or 4 shots. I am now down to one shot a day and have eliminated 4 pills a day.

My doc took me off of my blood pressure meds and Lipitor the day of surgery and I haven't needed them since. I am down to 500mg of Glucophage. I do still need to take my Synthroid and Cymbalta.